Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

ScottBear scott's bears

green1.jpgNew for me trying to feel compfortable with a bit of different for me and my traditional look so Please dont hold back with comments.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Scott !!
Am I too late ? 
Wow another new design !?  :clap:   bear_smile
I'm not so professional yet , and can't give you 100% good comment but
I think she is CUTEST.  bear_wub
I like her green eyes + white eyelid.  Does she has a white nose and white tung? or is it my pc !?  I wish I could see her  whole  body too.  :P

Hope you have a fun at the bear show !!
Bear Hugs/Marie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Scott, I like the green eyes and the tongue.  She has that southern girl appeal to me...reminds me a bit of a gollywog. :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Have you ever thought of adding some shading to her eyelids?  That would really make her eyes pop.

ScottBear scott's bears

Shading is so scary to me because I get so few done and need then to live off I am afraid to commit (such a man) to shading I NEED YOU TO TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD DO AT THIS POINT JUDI !!! WHAT color how much and the like LOL... Need to have hand held for a change
PLEASE AND THANK YOU ....SHOW IS 18hr HRS AWAY!!  STILL HAVE ONE BIG BEAR TO DO SOOOOOOOOO WILL BE UP ALL NIGHT
BEARHUGS
SCOTT

PS I only have copic markers sepia clay walnut chamois.. (and a few sharpie colors)

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh Scott, I hope I have not made you feel baldly.  I think your bear is juist lovely.  Me..I am a shading nut.

I can tell you what I personally would do BUT that is not saying you should do it.  Only if you are comfortable.  If you do decide to try some shading I would practice first on a scrap piece of the eyelid material you used.  Your work shows indredible talent Scott, and you have such a creative mind with your designs.  I know you can do this.  Once you get over that "fear" of wrecking your work....you'll wish you had dicovered how to do this eons ago.  It really is easy.

What I have found is that adding shades of color intensifies any design....like icing on a really tasty cake bear_thumb

Layering colors is very important to get a nice rich blending effect.  Starting with the lightest color.Benjamin-02.jpg

I'll try and explain what I mean by showing you Benjamin.  He has creamy white needle felted eyelids. 
I started by adding color (the lightest marker or paint) at the edges of the eyelids.   The lightest color will have the most coverage.   More toward the center of the head.  This brings the eyes closer together.  I leave the outer/center area alone.  This immitates the light reflecting so I want this area lighter.  Then I line the front edge of the eyelid to the outer corner.  ( I hope I am making sense...it would so mcuh easier to show you...come on over!)

Benjamin-06.jpg

Then I take color number 2...a medium brown and go over the first layer..but NOT completely.  I still want to see some of the first color.  Feather the shades so there are no hard lines.  Shade the very edges of the eyelids as close as you can to the eye itself without marking the eye.Benjamin-12.jpg

I apply the darlest shade last.  Either dark umber brown or black.  Use the darkest color the least amount...youstill want the other layers of color to show and give a blended effect.

If you find you have worked to heavy ( I am taking markers here) then you can use a clear blender. This acts as a lightner and sort-of eraser.

On Benjamin I used markers but also did airbrushing.  However, you can still get really nice effects with markers alone...I am just an airbrush nut (too).Benjamin-07.jpg

Scott, Best of luck on your show and I hope this helps.  If not let me know.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

PS..Scott....I have been airbrushing since I was 18 years old.  I am now 41.  I have been making bears since 1999 but was too chicken to try my airbrushing skills on my bears until just a few years ago.  I do know where you are coming from. bear_flower  :hug:

Board footer