Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Cassie Posts: 5

Hi Everyone, hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I am making teddies with a clay face (only my second bear) and am finding that the clay makes the head very heavy in the front, causing the head to tilt down (like he is looking at his navel!).

I have read a few posts on here and tried using a big join in the head but its still too front heavy.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for making the head more upright, apart from sewing the back of the head to the body. This works but of course you then loose the articulation of the head.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Face, lying down

Side view, with head slumped forward

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I have two ideas, but no guarantees. bear_tongue First, I'd use the largest disks possible, and maybe even design the head with a slightly larger neck opening to accommodate them. Second, I'd stuff the top of the body quite firmly - the whole collar-bone area and upper back need to be very supportive in order for the head not to slump (even with a regular stuffed face).

The face is already adorable, by the way. bear_flower

Becky

Cassie Posts: 5

Thank you for your reply Becky.  I was looking at the pattern and noticed the body piece rounds at the shoulders towards the front, making the neck opening slightly angled to the chest.  Do you think if I modified the pattern to make it more upright this would help too?

I feel it almost needs a rod running from the head through the neck to the bottom of the belly but this would defeat the purpose of having a soft cuddly body.  Like your idea of stuffing really hard and using a big disk though - will give that a try and report back.  Thank you!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Maybe you could get in touch with Jo Nevill (via Facebook or Bearpile)? She is known for her bears with ceramic faces, and would probably share with you how she does it.

I think you could be right about the pattern, too.

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Have you stuffed this bear yet? I'd use locline armature and stuff firmly with a mixture of wood wool and poly fibre. The locline will support the head. If the stuffing is firm it will be ok.

Board footer