Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pages:
jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have had my auction copied by someone in China. I am worried as my auction finishes in less that 24 hours and ebay say that it takes that long for them to sort it out...which clearly may have an effect on my auction.

In your experience, all you ebayers.....is there anything that, a/ I can do to speed up the cessation of this fake auction and b/ what if anything can be done to stop it in future...?

I think I have had it with ebay, finally...I want to continue ...but this leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

To add to Erin's post, I would watch this auction to see if anyone bids on it.  I believe you can contact any bidders and warn them.  You shouldn't have to do this.  What I have noticed in the past is that these often do not get bids.  It's an aweful feeling, I am sure.  I wish ebay would just plain cancel these fraudulent auctions immediately.  They have ominous domain so why can't they fix it asap.  What's wrong with these people bear_angry   hhhhmmm ebay still makes money on these fruadulent auctions...I do hope this is NOT the reason they aren't more active in taking care of them.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Yep give us the link so we can report it.
I also have a look at other items they have listed and do a check to see if they are copied auctions too and notify that way!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Well nothing happens directly to you as such because the bear was not sold under your name.
But the flack can come back onto you because they see your name (or bears name) linked with you and then they may get peeved with you.  People who are bidding on your auction may get upset that your 'unique' bear is being sold elsewhere and they feel tricked.
Stupid really but it happens.
What they do is steal the picture and description and set it up to sell in a quick auction.  your auction may stil be continuing or just finished.  The people selling have no feedback.  They just set up several auctions and hope they sell before they get nabbed.  They try and get you to pay by wire transfer so that you can't get your money back.
Very frustrating for all involved.  If you become aware of it notify ebay immediately.  If someone has bid on the item try and warn them.  The best way to do this because you cant email them directly is go to a seller the person has just used previously and ask them to notify the person as they will have the details to contact them.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Jenny...can you not make an addition to your auction still...it shows up at the bottom...but perhaps you could say something like.  I know you can't make changes but I think you  can ADD.

This auction is offered by the original artist.  Please know that I have been made aware of a duplicate auction offered by another Ebay ID which is fraudulent.

or some such wording.

OR perhaps one of us could message you via Ebay with the information and you could respond and choose for it to post. 

Just an idea!!!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Shantell, that is a great idea! Also what I have done in the past when mine was copied is go to thier auction ans click on ask the seller a question and I typed in Why are you copying my auction? this is FRAUD! in all caps of course and others will be able to see it
Sonya

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell  is correct, Jenny - you can't change you auction if there are bids BUT you can certainly add to it.  Use a different colour and make the print large, so people will see it.  Shantell's wording is exactly what you need.  Say it loud and clear!  Mine was copied at Christmas time by someone in China, but only posted on the UK Ebay.  Penny noticed it and emailed me, thank goodness.  I always search for my name on ebay now, when I have auctions running.  Please post a link for us, so we can send MANY notices to Ebay. 

Hugs

Brenda

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Jenny, I remember that this happened to JoAnn Harnden of Huckleberry Patch.  In her case the guy didn't even "copy" the photo and upload it to his own photo hosting service..... he linked directly to HERS! 

If that is the case... it makes it very easy for you!  Just take one of the photos you have in your auction and modify it with some text saying something like.... This bear is ONLY available thru "frommollyshouse".  Seller XXX is a fake!

Then... re-upload it so it has the exact same URL.... and then THAT photo ... which says that he is a fake seller... shows up in HIS auction too!

bear_grin   I saw JoAnne do that and laughed so hard!!!

warwickshire uk
Website

Here is the link...
(to the fake auction..I'd be grateful if some of you would report it...I have, but it is still up and running)

www.tinyurl.com/ran35

I am not able to edit the description...which is why I guess they started it late in the auction so I can't retaliate.

You know with all the technology they have these days you would think there would be a way for them to flag up when an identical auction starts via a different seller.

I feel totally violated...and disappointed that this, in all likelihood, will affect the outcome of my auction.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Jenny, I just sent you a question for your auction telling everybody that it has been copied. If you publish the question and respond to it, at least you have some information for your bidders.

Hope it helps. Your wonderful panda is doing well.

Hugs

Sabine

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Just wondering what would happen if you pressed the buy it now  button wouldnt that take it off just asking thats all .If someone copyed my auction i would never find it in a million years

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Jenny

So sorry this has happened to you. I don't think in a million years that anyone would actually place a bid as the whole thing smacks of fraud. Just take a look at the other auctions this guy has running. 2 Very old and rare 1919 bears which are exactly the same. Does he not realise he has listed this auction twice???

It's a real pain for you and if it were me I would be mad too. Best of luck for your final sale tonight on your beautiful Pandie. I hope it gets sorted soon.

:hug:  :hug:

warwickshire uk
Website

Thank you so much, all of you, for all of your help..it is much appreciated.

Sabine, thanks for your fantastic idea of posting me a question enabling me to post my reply on my auction...that's a brilliant plan..and to be honest in my panic over all of this..one I never even thought of...you are a total star!!!

Ebay are still running the fake auction...and though I know it's probably not affecting anything...it feels as though someone has tarnished my little bear with this deception.

Hugs to everyone!!!! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Jennyxxx

Tina Remem-bear Artist Bears

Hiya Jenny

What a horrid thing to do!! One thing though, his shipping is 1,000, and using the ebay currency converter that makes it £71!!

Jazzyrags, if Jenny bidded, then she may be liable to pay for the auction, so I wouldn't advise it. Plus he could leave bad feedback.

I will report it too, like you say, the more reports the better, ooh, what a mean thing to do!! Does this happen often?

Hugs
Tina

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Jenny, you are welcome. It was Shantell's idea though. I just went through with it seeing that nobody else had picked up on that. Great idea Shantell! bear_thumb  :clap:  :hug:

Pipa UK

Urgh Jenny what a pain i hope ebay are helpfull and remove the offending auction!

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks everyone...problem solved!!!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jenny, I'm glad the other auction is finally shut down.  There was still about 19 hours left on your auction last night, when we were posting about adding a paragraph on your auction about the fake one.  You were probably in bed by then.  Anyway, I think the cut off for adding to an auction is 13 hours.  It says 12 hours on ebay, but once the time left has "12" in it, you can't add anything. 

There are so many settings you can have now - my questions don't show up on my auction, so mine is obviously different than yours.   You can restrict your buyers to "paypal only". and judging from the fake auction, you must be able to restrict which countries can use the "buy it now".  Sometimes it seems that all the new bells and whistles on Ebay just help the fraudulent sellers LOL!  I'm really glad this is all over for you and your gorgeous panda is still doing well!  Good luck!

Hugs,

Brenda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think that most bidders are smart enough than to bid on something that seems "fishy"... This happened to me once and Ebay ended the auction and I see that in this case also that the auction ended bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Great ideas about altering the photos.  ALso, as soon as the auction is over, remove your photos from the internet.  Maybe you should all give Bid 4 Bears a try too.

From now on if I see ANY suspicious auctions I am going to ask the seller a question.  I like that we look out for each other here.  Bear artists United! bear_thumb

I agree with you Judi - it is a nice feeling to know that we have all these extra people from around the world, looking out for each other and willing to jump in and help out!  Teddy Talk people really are the best.

Hugs,

Brenda

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Just a note about changing the photo... if you have your photos hosted somewhere besides yahoo or some auction places... you CAN change the photo at any time. 

On your computer just take your photo editing program, add the text to your photo... name the photo the exact same name as your existing photo and re-upload it to your photo hosting service. 

The new photo (in most cases) will then show up instead of the "old" one.  You have not changed anything in your actual auction at all.... it still "points" to the same photo URL... you are just changing the photo that is uploaded to that particular URL (if that makes sense....)

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thanks Tina

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

This listing (#6046751783) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it cancelled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Try searching for another item now.

Jenny I went to the link you posted and got this !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never bought and never sold on Ebay- would not know where to start- although I would like to list now.
Seeing this I am totally confused is there a subject on TT on how to get started and what to avoid.
I would hate to get caught out,

Lynette

warwickshire uk
Website

Laura I never knew that...that I could switch the pictures . I use Seller Source Book and so presumably that means I could've added text to a photo..is that what you mean?

I have to thank all of this lovely Teddy Talk community fo the help you gave me on this one...in the end my bear did very well and I am happy to say that Little Pandie is off to his new home today.

I do think that I have learned from this experience and the lessons are invaluable...and if you are ever in my neck of the woods the G&Ts are on me!! Don't all rush at once!!

PS Sorry Laura...I just read your post properly (see how it gets you?!! bear_wacko ) now I understand

Pages:

Board footer