Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi everyone,
I too need a big hug!
I've miss you all since Thursday! I was rushed into hospital on Thursday night with terrible pains in my abdomen. I've had this seven times before so I knew what was coming. I now have to have my gallbladder removed. The operation couldn't be done straight away as I have an infection in the gallbladder. I came home last night with a bag full of different medications to take and I have to rest at home for a week or so. I am on the waiting list for the operation and I wondered if any of you have had this done and can tell me about it.

Jane

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Hi Jane!

I havent had an operation, but Im sorry to hear about your pain! I hope the list is short, so you get your operation soon, and dont need to have that pain!
I hope you feel better now, with no pain! I will be thinking of you!! *hugs*

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi Jane,
Sorry to hear of your pain...we missed you and definitely noticed your abscence! My Nanna had her gall bladder removed. I'm pretty sure it's done with keyhole surgery these days. Maybe Nurse Dilu will be more help! If it's been causing pain for some ime now....better out than in.;)
Sending ((((((((hugs)))))))) your way.:)

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Jane,

I had the gallbladder surgery just last August.  They were able to use the "keyhole" surgery which consists of four tiny bandaid slits into which a camera and tools are inserted.   They fill the cavity with gas/air and inflate so they can work inside.  It is so much better than the traditonal surgery.   I sure hope they are able to do yours that way.  There are no stitches and they actually use band aids to close the incisions.

Mine was done around noon and  I came home that evening.   I pretty much slept through the night but was bothered by a dry throat cause by the tube they insert for breathing.   I didn't move very fast the next day, but was able to get out and feed my horse that evening.   Luckily I only took half a pain tablet the whole time, using Tylenol instead.

I had surgery on Wednesday and was back to work in ten days.  You start eating slowly and not a whole lot at first.   I am sorry to hear you are having problems, but in the end you will feel much better.

I just could not eat ... I had a lazy gal bladder that did not work and my food was not digesting causing all kinds of problems.  I am 5'7" and got down to 121 pounds, too thin for my frame.

Good luck and things will be much better after the surgery.

Hugs,

Wanda

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Hello Jane,

First let me tell you that I will keep you in my prayers.  I have a cousin and a friend who both had this surgery and were out and about in just a couple of days.  It is nothing like it used to be when they kept you in the hospital for several days.  The surgery is usually a less invasive type.  I know you will do just fine.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jane,

aww honey....I know that pain is just simply ungodly....I have seen patients in such pain from the gallbladder that they would just as soon die.  Fortunately, once the pesky little devil is out, they are glad they didn't

If they do the surgery lapascopically (key hole)  you will have a couple of 1 inch slits on your tumtum.  They will fill you up with gas which causes the fat tissue to separate from the internal area.....that way the doc can see what he is doing on the monitor. 

It really would be the preferred method to have the surgery-it is easier to heal from and you are up and moving around as soon as your head clears enough to move around.

Traditional surgery gives you that nasty 6-8 inch scar and is much more difficult to heal from.

While you are trying to heal try to cut as much fat out of your diet as you possibly can, read the labels and avoid anything that sounds like fat....the less fat in your diet the less pain you will experience...and the less your poor gall bladder will continue to flare up.

Now, the same tips go for this surgery as Rita's
as soon as you can walk do....gogogogogo....it will help move the gas they use to clear out of your system sooner.....post surgery is the only time we ladies are allowed to compete with the teenage boys for the loudest, grossest .....welll, anyway you need to move the gas out

Drink water....plain old fashioned, unsweetened, unflavored, un tea'd and uncoffee'd water-----to clear your system of all the anesthesia and also to help heal.

I actually had a patient tell me once that she was allergic to water!

To my credit I did not laugh....in her face....in her room.....

Since we are 75% water and more if we are fat, cuz fat tissue holds water really well as well as fat- we can't be allergic to water.

I am so terribly sorry that you are on a waiting list.  There are positives to health care like you have in England, but, those of us in America should be very grateful that the waiting list for surgery hasn't hit managed care here like it has for you folks.

I pray your wait will be very short, your surgery an astounding succsess and that you will have no more pain!

Dilu

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Jane,
             So sorry to hear about your terrible pain, hope your infection clears up and you get your op pretty soon. Tummy pain is always bad anyway ,I think,so just you take it easy and get better real quick. Pity we did not stay nearer and we could have recuperated to-gether then.  Take Care and God Bless.

Hugs Rita xxxxxxx

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jane,

Big hugs are coming to your through your computer screen right now, feel 'em??

It sounds like the surgery and recovery may not be all that bad which is a relief to hear. It's a pretty standard surgery, done quite often so let's hope it goes without a hitch. Any idea of how long you'll have to wait for surgery?

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Hugs,
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I, too, am really sorry about your pain, Jane!  My sister had the "keyhole" gallbladder surgery several years ago, and recuperated very well in a short period of time.  I can empathize with your pain in the tum experience, however.  About a year and a half ago, I had an awful day of stomach pain, diarrhea, throwing up, fever . . . you name it, I had it!  After not improving one bit, that night my hubby took me to the emergency room.  After a 14 hour wait in ER, they decided I had a hot appendix and finally took me to OR.  Needless to say, had they waited much longer, I would have been in deep d. . d . .!  It was ready to pop!  So - I can say "I feel your pain"!!  Take care and good luck with your surgery!!  We'll be thinking of you.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

So sorry to hear about your pain, Jane

My daughter (age 27) had her gallbladder out just before last Christmas. She'd been suffering off and on for years, and diagnosed with everything but gallbladder trouble. Her boyfriend had to take her to the emergency room every night for a solid week to get someone to listen. Finally, at long last, she got to see a surgeon, who was horrified that her condition had been allowed to worsen for so long.

Anyway, the operation itself (keyhole) was very simple, but she had a lot of inflammation in there, which seemed to slow her recovery. She thought she'd be back at work in a few days. Ah, youth! :rolleyes:

So follow Dilu's advice--drink water, eat, but keep away from those fats--get walking, and don't be surprised if you feel weak and achy for a while. That gas takes a while to get rid of! Eleanor felt sick if she ate anything fatty, even fatty-ish. She lived on broth and biscuits for a while before graduating to mushy veggies and chicken.

Long story short, the operation is simple and safe, but give yourself time to recover, ok? :D

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Jane,
I did notice you were gone.  We missed you.:(  PLease knopw that you are in our thoughts and prayers.  Find a nice soft bear and cuddle with him.  They are such great listeners...so are we.

Me too on the H2O!  We are walking bags of water.

Take goo dcare and please let us know how you are doing.

((((((HUGS)))))))

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Whoa, Judi :D

Walking bags of water? bear_grin Not a pretty picture!

Eileen

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh good luck Jane! Sounds like it's a fairly simple operation, so you should be fine!  I think any surgery sounds scary though!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!!!

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Jane, I'm so sorry too ...
for your terrible pain .
I hope you will get you operation soon and go quick
for you .
Please let us know when you come back.
Love/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Awwwwwwww! You girls are so great, thanks for all the wonderful support you have given to me. I unfortunately can't have the keyhole surgery because of previous operations, one which went disastrously wrong....another long yucky story! I have to have the bigger operation so I should be in hospital for a longer time than I would have been with keyhole surgery. I do eat a very low fat diet and have done for a long time now but I still get one heck of a lot of pain most days. What I am worried about is the MRSA plus other nasty bugs that are always being reported in the news just lately. My hospital has been all over the news recently about various nasty bugs causing infections to patients so you can understand my concerns. Rita you may well have heard those TV reports. Thanks for making me laugh about being walking bags of water, now I know why I wobble when I walk. bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh :P
Big hugs to all of you from wobbly pain in the belly Jane.

Mandy SambrookBears
Essex

Good luck with your op Jane.  I'm sure it will be worth it in the end to be free of pain.  Try not to worry too much about the bugs thing.  I'm sure the press make a mountain out of a molehill and the hospitals are very much more aware of the issue now.  My hubby had an op just a couple of weeks ago and everyone who entered the ward had to wash their hands first and use a special bug busting gel too.  Try to keep positive and tune into all the good vibes these lovely girls are sending you!  Hugs Mandy

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

So sorry to hear you have not been well Jane!:|:|You get better now yah hear!!!!!!

Hugs Louise

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Oh Jane.......another thing to worry about.....Nosocomial infections....they are wretched!  Now I pray even harder....it s scarry to have to go to a hospital that has infection control; problems.....

Are you listening America?  One of the major problems with universal health care....the incentive is lost when there are no choices. 

Walking bags of water.....hmmmm......just as long as none of us turn into walking bags of leaking water and really need our Huggies and Pampers!

Yikes!

I love the mental image this elicits, Judi.....thank you :lol::lol::lol:

Remember ladies; we must do our Kegel excersises lest we become our grandmothers......:D:D

Dilu

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Dilu, You will need to tell what is Kegel Exercises??, I need to know before the morning..... Hugs Rita xx

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu, I can't WAIT to see how you're going to answer THIS one... bear_happy

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All, I am off to hospital now, Speak to you all soon. Hugs Rita xxx

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Good Luck RITA!!! You'll be fine I'm sure!  We will all be thinking of you!

Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Best of British Rita, we're all thinking of you! Take care
Big Hugs
Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Take care, Rita

We'll all be with you tomorrow!

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Good luck Rita!

And Jane, yes I had mine removed too.  Had symptoms for about 6 months (on and off) before I finally went to the ER one night.  Told me classic case of gallstones.  I was a car show photographer at the time and still had 2 months before the season ended.  He told me it wouldn't be a problem to wait... I just ate very little fat (wish I would do that NOW) and had muscle relaxers for if I had an episode (so the gallbladder would relax)  But I did have the keyhole surgery)  Good luck Hon!!

Board footer