Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hi,I'm wondering if someone could advise me on "wiring" my bear arms(or legs) so that they can hold or hug.Do I have to purchase flexilimbs or are there other options or ideas.i found an end to attach to wire and thought it worked but it came loose on one bear.I don't want this to happen.I would love any advice.Thanks and many blessings,Shari.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Shari....my hunny used crimp lugs and then soldered them as well and he used 14 gauge wire.  They worked really well...unfortunetly for him cuz now he's 'in the business for me' :)

I had bought some at Edinburgh but I didn't like the little ones and the ones wrapped in foam were not dependable.  He had to go through and solder all of them because they would pull apart.

Hope this helps....

Dilu

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks Dilu:) I had made some of my own and thought they were perfect but I think the soldering is a wonderful idea.I'll have to ask hubby but he's just not in the mood right now bear_sad  Do you wrap your wire with anything(maybe duct tape) or leave it bear,I mean bare?I have the perfect wire just needed more advice on the part I put on my screw when jointing.Hugs and blessings,shari.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shari,
We talked about this only a little before you joined and there were some great suggestions offered...including a tutorial from Laura Lyn's site, courtesy of Kris Holmberg, on how to do exactly what you are asking. The heading will be about how to use Locline...just search back a few pages.;)

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Dilu, I have used the ones wrapped in foam...what ? you say they are not reliable ? Durn...and I thought they were.

If hubby is using 14 gauge wire ...is it telephone wire ? or what ? And...what mixture/ kind of solder did he use ?

I would rather make my own..its cheaper and you can make the armature for the arms, legs or even the spine on a realistic bear as Illish Routard does......Winney

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Shari,

Yes, as Heylay said Laura Lynn did advice me
the great way to make a armatures at previous post !
You can see at the post  at title.. (Loc-Line question)
and Laura Lynn gave us this page( Kristine's  Method)
http://teddiesbylauralynn.com/bearmaking/armatures.html

Bear Hugs/Marie

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks girls bear_original:) I'll check it all out right away.So nice of you to answer even though I'm way behind,sigh... story of my life.

hI wINNEY-

It is cheaper....I do not wrap the whole wire, but I have a case of surgical tape left over from my home health days and I use it to wrap the hand ent....which on the wolligoggins has to fit down one of the fingers on the b ig ones.  On the little ones I fold the the wire back on itself

I think I would feel better soldering the commercial ones before using them

The first ones he made for me were 14 gauge but it is too heavy and doesn't bend as well....

slowly I get to my dream to have gollikins hanging from the ceiling....welll no not really- but dancing all over the place

I had the big ones from Edinburgh come apart on me----the ones with the pink foam. so I don't trust them.  He has to solder them before I try them again.

On the teds I am not so worried, cuz the arms are bigger in diameter than the same size golly-there is lots of room for padding but the gollies need a little more care-

oh well

I didn't know about the link everyone is talking about so I think I'll print it up and give it to the armature maker

Thanks guys!

Dilu

I , I just checked out that site- great pictures and it is exactly what we are already doing.....I've been bolting simply because I am not fond of trying to bend heavy cotter pins even with the tool.

The only differance is we do not use the plastic coated wire....

Hubby says he thinks  it costs about $0.25 per armature.....When he saw how much the commercial ones were he was hapy to give it a try...

Try it Winney...it really is pretty neat!

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

The only drawback I can see with using wire is that if you bend the limbes over and over and over it can break.  Loc-Line are plastic sections that 'pop' together and will not break and they are easy to use...but it can be expensive:(

If you buy the starter kit from Edinburgh (I don't know if Intercal carries these?) they have instructions on how to attach them to a joint.  It is very easy.

Another thought for the the pot!;)

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks Judi ,I'll look into the Loc-line.I just adore your bears,they have so much character and personality!I don't think my bear places here have loc-line and flexi limb is very expensive.I ordered one just to see what they were all about and the lady wasn't long sending an email to see if I was making a bear with one arm or leg Hee,hee.I wish my bears did better on eBay or I knew where else to sell but I think I'm spending more than I'm making.Not that that deters me,you know how this "illness" works.Besides,it sooths my soul to create .
  Blessings,Shari.

They sound a little like pop beads......anyone old enough to remember pop beads.  I used to love those things.

I think I'll buy a set to check them out.  Thanks Judi

Dilui

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I bought Loc-Line a while ago but I can't pop it together I just haven't got the strength in my fingers. I know artists who do use this but for the life of me I can't use it. Any tips would be appriciated. Thanks!

Jane.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jane,
You can get a special pair of pliers that pop the links together. It is much easier than trying it by hand...ouch.  When you buy the Loc-Line itself, it comes already jointed or popped together.

To separate it they say to bend it back on itself....but I bend it back  and forth to create a bit of friction which creates heat and it "pops" apart easier when you bend it back on itself.    To attach peices together really requires the pliers.

CR's Crafts has a website  www.crscraft.com   They sell the loc-line armature in several sizes.  I really like this stuff and it is fun to see how you can pose a bears arms.

Board footer