Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

As someone who has had skin cancer and continues the pursuit of being a living pincushion, I'd like to remind everyone......Please, use your sunscreen!!  You should be using it year round, but especially now, as the days are longer and we're enjoying more time outside in the fresh air.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Aleta - nice to see you back!  Hope your gardening adventure was just what you needed!  I don't know why it's so hard to get people to wear sun screen.  My daughter wouldn't think of putting out grandson outside without it, but thinks she doesn't need it!

Hugs,

Brenda

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Aleta,I'm so happy to see you posting  bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub  :hug:   :hug:
How was the gardening?? Wish I could do mine but it's a no-no for a few more weeks at least  bear_sad  Oh ,well.it's early here yet for gardens anyway. :hug:   :hug:

Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh Lisa!!
You should have those looked at by your doctor!!!  They may in fact be dreaded age spots but you really, really, really should have them looked at to be sure.  Believe me, you do NOT want to be a human pin cushion.  I have tiny little scars in most places I've been pinched but I have a friend that has had to endure half dollar size hunks of skin removed.....which in turn leaves dimples and much larger scarring. 

Please, please, please wear sunscreen!  And go get those spots looked at!!

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

nettie scotland
Website

Well said Aleta.My brother died at 36 of skin cancer and I had a scare myself two years later..Hard to beleive with our climate!!!Thankfully I was fine and it was benign.I made a promise to him that I would never sun bathe and always use sun block.I have impressed that upon my daughter too.I use sun block all year round and so does she.I get very upset seeing wee kids tanned.A lot of people think it is healthy but as soon as the melanin starts to turn the skin brown it can activate cancerous cells.I think you are more educated in hot countries.The last few years have seen health warning on t.v here too at last
Diane xxx

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Lisa, I have a million moles or brown spots on my body, so I have to get checked every year.

The moles are bad if they change suddenly, or they become un-symmetrical. If they are raised, but still round, chances are they are ok.

But you should get it checked out. I'm a redhead who burns like crazy, so I've never had a tan, but I've still had moles removed even though I never sun tan.

Just something to keep in mind

Man, I sure wanna go to Australia though, you ladies are soo lucky.

Portland, Oregon
Website

Okay girls.....and guys too.  A reality jolt here.  If you have children, you OWE it to them to go get checked.  In most cases it turns out to be nothing.   bear_original   BUT, what if it's not and you let it go?   bear_sad I can tell you from experience that watching someone go through chemo/radiation, etc. is not on a kids hit parade of things to have going on in their lives.

If you won't do it for you, do it for them.  Okay?

Warmest and biggest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Portland, Oregon
Website

Diane,  bear_flower
I'm so sorry to hear about your brothers passing.   bear_sad

Hi Brenda!  Hi Shari!   bear_wub  bear_wub
It's great to be back.  I didn't do as much outside as I would have liked but that's okay.  It will all get done in due time.  As long as everything is in tip top shape before the wedding then it's all good.   bear_original  bear_original

Aleta

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I need to jump in here on this topic.  I am a melanoma skin cancer survivor and can't emphasize enough the information that's already been given.  My dad also had it, but it wasn't discovered until it had already metastasized to his lungs and bone marrow.  I was much luckier in that mine was caught earlier . . .

because I knew to get any unusual spot - especially one that had recently changed - checked out

.  Please just be sure, Lisa, and get your spots looked at by a dermatologist.  By the way . . . what has happened to that gorgeous picture of you in the user photos?  Anyway, ladies . . . I feel very fortunate to still be here, and I owe it to being careful and cautious - in my later years.   Yes, I lay out in the sun and went swimming a lot when I was growing up . . . and reaped what I sowed.  Just really believe that getting that healthy looking tan can kill you.

Portland, Oregon
Website

Excellet post, Sue Ann!  We're all fortunate that you're still here!!   bear_wub  I'm sorry about your Dad.   bear_sad 

Warmest and biggest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm bringing this post back to the top of the page and will do so for the rest of the week.  I think it's an important reminder.

Aleta

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Aleta -  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
and to all of you who have had this touch your lives.

Aleta you have my respect for what you do and how you do it. I am looking forward to meeting you.

hugs
Kassie

nettie scotland
Website

Sad to hear you have lost a brother too Lisa,I miss mine every day as we were very close .He was an artist and I have many of his paintings on display which helps.
Sorry to hear what you had to go through Sue Ann but you are still here which counts.
Hopefully all these posts will shake people up a bit and send Lisa to get her bits and bobs checked.
Dianexxx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Great advice, everybody!

Age spots (expert here) tend to appear under the skin. If they start bumping up, I'd definitely get them checked.

It's hard to believe that people still admire tans, but they do! My daughters finally started wearing sunscreen after they observed the yucky age spots on my neck. It doesn't take much . . . but if vanity works, so be it.

I think all my sunscreens are past their best-before dates. Better stock up . . .

Eileen

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Aleta, so sorry to hear you've had skin cancer and Sue Ann and Diane, that you've suffered too and lost your dear family members.  We are so silly for taking our skin for granted don't you think?  It's great that you have used the forum to nudge TT members into remembering to take care of their skin. 

I used to love to have a good tan when I was younger ... I'd be out there soaking up those rays with very little, if any, sunscreen on.  Over the years I have developed an extensive case of vitiligo and so now look like a patchwork quilt throughout the summer!  My white skin patches are no longer patches and as they have no natural protection of their own whatsoever, they fry whenever they catch a glimpse of the sun.  I still enjoy being outdoors, but these days I cover up much more than I used to and I plaster myself in sun block.  Also, I always wear sunglasses to protect my eyes too!

The sun is great for making us feel good, but it needs to be respected.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I am naturally inclined to burn, not as bad as some but enough to not get a tan. Red hair, freckles, blue eyes.
I'm the one under the umbrella on holiday but always with a tan, out of a bottle!!! You can get some great sprays now and I like to put some fake tan on once a week to give me some colour. Great reminders even if its dull most of the time here, its not always and I sometimes forget when I'm in this country, the things I do right when I'm abroad.

Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Paula!  bear_flower
Me too!  The vitiligo thing.  As I get older, the worse it gets.  I guess I'm one of the lucky ones though.  So far it's only around my hairline and not on my knees, elbows and hands like most people.  I do have funny little spots that look like I put a sticker on my skin....but only a couple of small ones, thankfully. 

I love to garden so it's really hard for me to stay out of the sun but I slather on the sunscreen and try to be outside only in the early morning hours or in the evening.  Because of the skin cancer and the vitiligo I'm very aware of what the sun can do to the skin.  I can't do anything about the vitiligo....that's inherited from my dad.  But, I can try to prevent any more cancer episodes but using my head....and
sunscreen!

Aleta

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a great topic Aleta and thanks for all for sharing.
So sorry to hear about your experiences Aleta,  SueAnn and Diane with your Brother.

On the 20th March we went down to the funeral of my husbands cousin.
It was so very sad Camille had been living over in England and had got sick and had a
few Melanomas removed. She was in remission for a while and then it returned and went
to her lymph nodes.
They said for her to return home and be with her Family. She was such a pretty lady and had been married for 5 years. It was just so terribly sad for her Family and husband.

As Lisa said the sun is so much hotter and we need to be so careful while outside.
Please get your spots checked out Lisa.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Portland, Oregon
Website

Bless you Carolyn.  Thank you for your post.  I'm so very sorry for your family's loss.   bear_sad

Aleta

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Thanks for sharing this, Aleta.  My mom just had skin cancer removed this past fall and is doing well now.  I try to stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen because I'm worried about skin cancer.  It's especially hard considering I live in south Florida near the beach and I have fair skin, light hair and blue eyes.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Sorry to hear that your Mum had skin cancer,  Chrissie.
Yes, gone are the days when we used to spend all our time outdoors sunbathing without
sunblock or hats!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer