Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone,

I just had to jump in here and say what I think. Not do to frustration or angry feelings just my opinion, and just me speaking my mind. I got to tell you all here on TT

This whole ebay is starting to get pretty scary. I have been watching all the post on here about ebay.  bear_shocked  bear_original

I do understand that there is a lot of collectors shopping on there and we bear makers rely on them for bear sales; and it is really big - most popular etc.  But I think it is also getting to be a place for scammers and underhanded people to use and abuse. Which is truly a shame, but that does not change the fact that is is happening. I will not get into the details we all have read them. I will just get to the point.

I think that teddy bear artists should stop using ebay and collectors should stop shopping there. There are better online places to go to. I just feel that with most business - without the customers they have no business. 
I am not angry at ebay or any of their members. It is just this. If you do not support that kind of actions - it will only create positive reactions. I for one do not what my bears connect to such negative business practices. Teddy bears are for - love - kindness - caring and giving feelings. I just don't see how that will work when the collector goes to buy a bear and has a bad experience.  kinda defeats the propose I would think. I for one will not use ebay again. I will support the people who are working hard to give us positive placings to sell our bears. We all know who that is - Bid 4 Bears at Nancy site. Here at TT and I am sure there are more that can be shared here on TT.  So I ask you. Who do you want to support?

And for those of you who like to shot the messenger - that is ok too. Cause I agree with all that has been said here on TT concerning ebay and the negative business practices that have been happening.
A wise woman on here said "we need to be more aware!" I add. We need to also do something about it. Actions do not happen without motion. I say bravo wise lady! At lest you tried to do something about it. It has been said knowledge is power. I believe that knowledge is also wisdom! And wisdom can create some wonderful things. So I ask again. Who do you want to support?

Hugs to you all
Kassie

Oregon

Hi Erin,

That is good to hear too! I don't think all ebay user are that at all my husband uses ebay all the time for his hat business and  have many friends on there. this post is more focused on what is happening in the negative way to teddy bear artist and what maybe can be done about it.

Posts to turn people away from ebay is just a ding in mine and many other TT'ers businesses.  I'm all for other venues, but I chose ebay.

We all do have choices! Why does it have to be only ebay? Why does it create so much anger? It should not create anger. To me it is like going shopping at any store. Would you not want to best service? Would you be all upset if someone said they did not like that store or they had a bad experience? Probably not. I would be very put out if a business reacted that way to me. If you were connected to that store you probably do you best to make it better. My point is we all have choices and sometimes we need to work together to change something. If these people that are abusing the ebay system see that we pull together and do not except this then maybe it will change. I feel it is a pretty big problem just for ebay itself to manage.
Erin - if you got any ideas please share them. I am not affended and am interested in what you have to say.
Please also keep in mind this is done threw text and I only hope I am making myself understood.

Hugs
Kassie

Oregon

p.s I am smiling at the head pounding comment......
sorry I don't mean to make your head pound really..... bear_original

hugs
kassie

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I also started on ebay and have gained all of my collectors that way... I absolutly LOVE  Bid4Bears and I will continue to list there and on ebay as well as ebay has a lot of collectors.... I actually prefer to just sell from my website and do commissions so I get to name my prices but on ebay you get TONS of exposure... I try to get my bears in as many places as possible, sure my auctions have been hijacked but I think most collectors are aware of things like that and wont bid if an auction seems fishy... especially if the only forms of payment are "untraceable" bear_original

Oregon

I am holding on to my cowboy hat LOL- thank you Aleta - no worries hon I can take it.  bear_original  :hug:
me too girls - I also started on ebay and - I don't want to hurt anyone business - just the people who choose to mess with it.  - and my husband uses ebay a lot for his hat business. But I know for a fact - a lot of the hatters on there would be very upset if this happen to their auctions. Boy, I wouldn't want a group of mad hatters after me.  bear_grin  bear_grin   
hugs

I may have given that impression to some of the readers in these posts, but that is not my intention. That is not the intention at all. We need to stand up - all of us and let them know we will not allow them to mess with our auctions. I am talking about the scammers and underhanded people here who think they can use the ebay system for their own means. And sometimes that means taking action that would we not want to take.
And really this would help us all.

Hugs
Kassie

Oregon

dear Erin,

You are not on soap box. Your opinion is very appreciated. and as I said I am interested in everything you have to say. I am sorry you feel you do not want post on this thread again. Believe me when I tell you. I am only talking about taking action here "not elimination". But - sometimes that means taking direct action.
Any suggestions or ideas you have to help change this please share them.
I don't know what a OP's is - or what it means. Maybe someone can clue me in.

Hugs Kassie

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Dearest Kassie,  bear_flower
After much thought, consideration and hand wringing over this topic I decided to delete my earlier post.  At this point, for me, it is counter-productive to be talking about this subject. 

Please understand.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Oregon

Dearest Aleta,

Don't you worry yourself. I totally understand.  :hug:  :hug: I really do!
I am starting to feel the same way. My intention was to try and help not create hard feelings.

I will be deleting this post after Aleta reads this message.

hugs
Kassie

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kassie, I think that this is a subject that can go round and round and round and you will never get everyone to agree.  I understand what you are saying, that maybe if we all got together, we could change ebay or make a better business elsewhere.  Well, that very well may be true, but there are also several people who's entire income is dependant on Ebay, and that's just the way it is.  It's financially impossible for those people to see things your way, and they may not want to.  I know you don't want to offend anyone and I certainly don't want to upset anyone either. Since ebay discussions were the root of the nasty comments that Aleta received, maybe ebay should only be a topic, if there are specific problems to discuss?  Just my two cents worth.

Hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Dearest Kassie,  bear_flower
I know your intentions were sincere.   bear_original   Bless your heart!  There is a great message in what Brenda had to say. 

Warmest and biggest hugs all around,  :hug:
Aleta

nettie scotland
Website

Ebay again???For all of you lucky enough to have a chioce in the matter I undersand completely.I have no husband ,live in partner ,sugar daddy,sponsor,(think I covered everything there)and a child to raise.If I boycotted ebay we would simply starve and be evicted.I have had no bad experiences but sympathise with all who have but when a company has more or less changed your life for the better it is very hard to not appreciate it.
That will be my last comment on the subject.
Diane xxx

Oregon

Hi Brenda, that I totally understand. It is also good to hear. I see what you mean. It would be like leaving their job. I get that for sure. I too would be doing the same. My husband and myself both depend on ebay or other internet sources for our business. I totally get it. Thanks Brenda - really.  :hug:     

Dearest Aleta - I knew you knew - that I knew - that you know - that I knew and you know I was. *wink*    haha  bear_original

Yes Aleta there is a very good message in what Brenda said.  bear_thumb   

Diane - you are very brave endeed. I also rasied my children alone. I do understand and really appreciate exactly what you are saying.   :hug:   

Now to end this discussion let me say. As I said we all have freedom of choice.   
I do understand and appreciate the hole picture here and what it means. So please don't think I am a ebay hater, there are alot of good people who use ebay as their online business and who work there. I only have a problem with people who use and abuse places like ebay and good people who are trying to make a living and these scammer basically get away with it.   
They seem to think that the internet is a free place to scam - stock and just do very bad things. I just thought this could be a place to help change something.   
So let me assure everyone concerned. I do appreciate and understand your choice in this. 
I am a very opened minded person and hold no hard feelings and I hope for the same.   

Hugs to you all 
Kassie

nettie scotland
Website

Well said ,we all ended on a happy note!!!
Diane xxx

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I don't think ebay is a bad place in itself...I think it has been extremely abused and now has scared many people away.  It is up to ebay to police it and keep it safe for sellers and buyers.

I also think Bid 4 Bears will turn very very big.  I like that there is more than one place to show and sell bears.  Exposure. bear_thumb

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

The UK has a consumer TV prog. called 'WatchDog'.  They did a feature this week on ebay and particularly on Paypal.   

It was not good PR for the company.

Sandra   :redface:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sandra, I sure would like to know more about that.  I sometimes worry that my paypal may get hijacked at some point.    Can you share any of the highlights?

Oregon

I am not adding this post, because of any posts from supportive tter’s on this thread. It is due to others reasons.

I did say I would delete this thread, but I have decided to not do that, because I do not want any misunderstanding of what I have said here. I do not want to continue this discussion only for the consideration; “of not causing any more hardened feelings.”

I see a lot of very great things here on TT and it always warms my heart. But, I have to say when you get treated badly simple because of your opinion or views on things that is very disappointing indeed.

I myself and a couple of others on here have had this happen. I have to laugh here, because it happen shortly after I just joined TT. I think it was only a couple of days. I almost left TT because of that. Not knowing any of you or what TT really stood for.  I didn’t want to stay, but after sharing this with a very wonderful person here on TT, I decided to stay. And I am glad I did. There are so many wonderful people that I have met. I hope that we will grow to be good and long friends. I know I will meet many more.

I am going to be straight and completely forward here. Now to my understanding this is a form to discuss and express ones opinion. I do understand that my idea of helping stop scammers and underhanded people on ebay may not have been the best solution to the problem. I understand some feel I stepped on some toes – not intentionally believe me!
But – let me reassure all concerned again – my intention was not to hurt anyone’s business. So please – except it as the truth. I cannot apologize for my views but I will apologize if I hurt or offended anyone.  After saying that. I still stand by how I feel about scammers and underhanded people who abuse and use systems that are meant for honest hard working people. I will never agree or be part of that kind of behavior. That is just my choice. I did not share my story and I won’t at this time. But, believe me I had good reason to think this may work. I to use ebay for all three of our businesses.

I see here on TT some more posts on warnings in regards to these scammers and their actions. I think this is great. Maybe this will be away to stop this. In that post I saw “These people never quit do they?!” It brought a thought to mind. Well maybe there are more of us then them? So if we keep postings their scams maybe they will give up and move on. Maybe this would be a solution. Who knows?

I would like to share some of my personality just to allow you to get to know me better. We will never always agree with each other or share the same views, but I believe that is what’s makes us all so interesting endeed. I also believe that it should not create hard feelings or create angry towards others. I apply this belief in everything; and all things in my every day life. I feel here on TT it would be not be any different. Let me just say; I am not offended or angry by this behavior just disappointed. Passion about something we feel strongly about; I believe is not the same as anger towards another person and then taking actions in that anger. I am told by my friends who know me well, that I have a memory like an elephant. I laugh when they say that, but I have to say – they are right.

I hope this satisfies the concerned people and anyone who feels offended, by me or my actions in this matter. Or just offended by me.  bear_grin I am laughing here. Silly waste of time.

To my dear tt friends, who have been kind and supportive. No need to reply to this post. I know who you are and do not want to create any further – lets just say “mohair flying” incidents. (humor just humor)   

Hugs to you all

Kassie

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Ebay is bloody excellent - without it most of us working gals would be penniless and not making bears anymore.

I know it has it's pitfalls folks, but so does life in general so you just gotta dive in girls - i bet that 99% of you will have no trouble with it at all and the 1% that do........ well, it's a learning process is'nt it?
I can't tell you how scary it was at first but after a while it gets easy - just like starting a new school ha ha

I recommend that you girls give it a go............if you get stuck give me a PM and i will try to help you out.

Penny  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Penny, I think a lot of us agree with you - I certainly would have stopped making bears if Ebay hadn't come along, in fact I was doing exactly that - toying with quiting because I didn't want to do shows anymore, due to the expense.  If our son's accident hadn't forced me to try it, I don't think I ever would have, and that would have been a shame.  I think a lot of negative comments are scaring artists off, and that's too bad, as I have had very, very few problems with ebay.  My only big one was when my auction was copied at Xmas, and you had reported it even before you notified me - how great was that!  I would also be willing to help anyone who would like to try ebay and is skittish about it.  Take care.

Hugs,

Brenda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Considering all the schtuff that is sold on ebay on a daily basis, I think that ebay is a very good place to sell bear_original The stolen auctions are just things that happen and as soon as ebay is notified, they take care of it bear_original  Like I said, I started on ebay and still list every once in a while (when I am not doing commissions or selling directly to my collectors).  Think of all the people you are reaching by selling on ebay! I never dreamed that I would be selling bears out of state but now I have sold out of country too!  I think it is all what you prefer and everyone has to make that decision on their own bear_original

Oregon

I am sorry ladies,

But I think you missed the point of my last post regarding this matter. It is about how one is treated - not if ebay is a good place to sell.
And that was never the point in this post.
Sorry you misunderstood.

hugs
Kassie

Oregon

Most of my post didn't go on hmmm? That will teach me to cut and paste.  bear_rolleyes
Anyway.

Brenda you are right - and it is sad to hear about your son. I am so sorry to hear that. Your early post was right on. 

I think that this is a subject that can go round and round and round

just in general now -
I think the point has pretty much been made.
I think the point was missed of my last post regarding this matter. It is about how one is treated when one expresses their opinion - not if ebay is a good place to sell.
And that was never the point in this post.
Sorry it was misunderstood.

hugs
Kassie

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I totally agree with you Lisa. Well said! :clap:  :clap:

Kassie, I think I've also missed your point. I also thought this post was about ebay. It is titled 'my thoughts on ebay'

Is it that you don't like how people on this list react to certain posts? Please explain.

Oregon

Hi Lisa,

I want to start by saying right away. You have not offended at all. I am opened to your thoughts and anyone’s.  bear_flower

Lisa wrote: World in general of businesses weather Real Estate, Auction Houses, Schools, shops, Churches and so on...all have some nasty and unfair players in amongst them, doesn't mean because you are amongst those people, you are supporting their way of doing business or their unethical practices, therefore don't wish to be a part of it? it's hard not to be a part of it because your amongst it! but your certainly not supporting what they do.........

Oh I understand completely. You are right in a general scope of things – there are unfair players in most business, but I would hope not all. I like that you called them unfair players, I have not even been that gracious. J

Anyway.  It is hard being around it indeed and I understand being amongst it does not mean I am supporting what they do. Thank you Lisa. I do feel however, for me and I am speaking just of me - that if I was to stand quite and say nothing, then that would make me “not necessarily” agreeable with the unfair players and their actions but rather, I would be accepting their actions. I am just not able to do that. I see here in your post you are not able either – thumps up! J

Lisa wrote: You wrote that your hubbie and yourself sell on ebay also with 'hats', I don't get your question, is it alright to trade on there because you sell hat's and will continue to trade..... but don't wish to trade on there because only the baddies are amongst the Teddy Bear Trading of Ebay?

No not at all Lisa J.  I was trying to make a point that I also use ebay and would be willing to jump in and do all that I was suggesting. That I was not any different than anyone else and I would not ask of anyone else what I would not be willing to do myself. That I understood and appreciated everyone’s feelings on that.

Just in general not to Lisa - I do understand that is just not a good solution and - I am not suggesting it again. So please don’t think I am.

Please let me say I don’t believe it is just the Teddy bear trading area on ebay either– not at all. I'm quite sure shilling and bad trade is in every category of Ebay, as well.

Lisa wrote: and i'm sure if statistics were done on Ebay, it is a small miniority of bad players than the Majority that actually buy/trade on there...
Oh absolutely! For sure. That is why I felt if we all got together we could possibly change it. But – that is not good solution for very obvious reasons.

Again - Just in general not to Lisa - I do understand that is just not a good solution and - I am not suggesting it again. So please don’t think I am.

I take a deep breath to your next paragraph – only do to I fact that I know what you said is so true. I did giddle over the “dickhead selling me a Computer” only because you called him a dickhead. I am sorry to hear about you experience thro. That just sucks!
“wish it wasn't as the world would be a happier place to be in where trust and opinions are valued.” I do too Lisa. But as you said it is not, but I feel - little changes can help make a big changes.

Which leads me to your last paragraph.
Lisa wrote: I enjoyed your post and think it's great that you stood up for your beliefs, as standing up for what one believes in is of strong character and sometimes does make a change or difference in the world..... hope i haven't offended you at all...,... 
Thank you Lisa. I enjoyed talking about this with you also. It is always refreshing to talk and share ones thoughts. So thank you. Again – you have not offended me at all.
Your story on “one bear artists shocking actions, morals and business ethics “ That is just so sad. Good for you for saying something about it. 

Hi Heather,
The post you are referring to was about how people were being treated because of their views and not about ebay in it’s self. I only put that post on here, because it was related to this post.
You wrote: Is it that you don't like how people on this list react to certain posts? Please explain?
No – not entirely on this post alone. And not everyone – very small amount of people. Rather – the post was related to messages I received that were not nice at all. That is all I will say about that. But thank you for asking Heather.

One last thing I would like to say.  Please forgive me – I’m a better talker than a writer and do find it difficult to make myself clear in text. It is clear to me LOL – but not always to others. I understand that – so I take no offense. And at times some words errors that make no sense at all.... bear_grin

Hugs Lisa and Heather and Wildcat
Kassie

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for responding Kassie!

I also speak my point much better when I am talking, so I totally understand where you are coming from!

Pages:

Board footer