Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

chicks.jpgI thought this little Easter challenge was going to be easy!  Sometimes, the simplest of designs, can be maddening!  I think I'm finally on my way to a finished Easter chick but I wanted to show the pattern progression.  This also goes to show you that just because you've been in the business for awhile it doesn't necessarily mean designs come easy.....especially when your brain is stuck on "bear".

The first chick looks more like an ugly duckling.  The head is much too skinny......I'm used to putting in gussets.  The body is off, yet, at this point I can't quite figure out what about it is off.  The wings are too big and they look just...well, they just look weird!  I think they're upside down. 

The second chick is looking a little more chick like.  Now the head is too big and so is the beak.  A little overzealous, wasn't I?  The wings look more chick like but they're still too big.  Oh, and I figured out that the body is too compact.

Now I'm finally on the right track with the third chick.  The beak is just a wee bit too small but everything else if finally coming together.  Whew.  Other than the fact that it's a little fuzzy green chick I'm almost there!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  I posted this up in the Easter Challenge topic but I thought it might be interesting to those new to TT and the business of bears and critters.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ahhh chirpy chirpy cheap cheap Aleta, sooo cute!!! 

That ugly duckling will turn into a swan one day you know!!   :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh They're all cute, Aleta! I see what you mean, though.

I appreciate seeing that I'm not the only one whose first tries are iffy.

Mine are sometimes upside down and backwards, occasionally inside out.  bear_wacko

Eileen

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, your talented. I would be happy if your 1st one was my last design.

I love your last one though. They way the head sits and the beak are just sooo cute

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Turkey, duck ,chick!!  :hug:   :hug:  bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Aleta you silly Girl! I love all of them! Your creativity is amazing!

many Hugs Louise

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

okay....call me nuts...and I know you will...but I like the first one best!!!   You can send him/her my way.   bear_original bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

THEY ARE TOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Aleta, your chicks are so cute - I can hear them cheeping from here.  I do love the last one!

Hugs,

Brenda

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Aleta, your chicks are so cute. I think I like the first one too! Kind of an old and tattered look...cute!  bear_original

Portland, Oregon
Website

Okay, okay.  You gals are just pulling my leg about that funny looking little duckling!  Cut it out already!! 

The intention of this post was not for everyone to say, "Oh, cute!"  Though I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!  Honestly I do!  My intention is to nudge newbies to give bear artistry and pattern making a try.  What's the worst that can happen.....everyone falls for the ugly duckling!  Well, there you go. 

The reason for the Easter challenge was to challenge ourselves as artists to do something we haven't done before.  I'd already done bunnies the week or two before the challenge.  Why didn't I just wait a week or so?  Hand me the idiot stick!  So, the challenge for me was to create something totally new.  You got little chicks.  A little lamb is still trying to creep his way out but, so far/so good, I'm not paying any attention to him!  Wish me luck on that one.  (sigh)

Okay.  I'm really syrupy now.  It's 11:30something and I've been working for the better part of 18 hours with little breaks here and there for TT.  I'm exhausted.  I'll see you tomorrow.

Warmest and biggest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

nettie scotland
Website

Sorry Aleta but I like the first one.He looks like he has had a hard paper round and I like them that way.The last one is more like  chick I agreee but is perhaps too perfect???
You are a clever girl aren't you???
Diane xxx
I have made a cream bear holding a suspect bunny for my easter challenge.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Aleta, When you're an artist , you have poetic license to be as creative and out-there as you like.  I think all three are very cute.  I love how the short fuzzy mohair feels...so soft, fuzzy, and chickadee-like.  CUTE!

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Could you transplant your artistic skill to me please................... :hug:

Sandra  :redface:

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I told you that elsewhere but I love them all ! And now I want to make chiiiicks !!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

Okay, okay.  You gals are just pulling my leg about that funny looking little duckling!  Cut it out already!!

Ummm.....NO and NO again... I was completely serious...LOVE THE LITTLE CHICK!!!  So just pack him up and send him to me, okay?

bear_wub   bear_wub

Portland, Oregon
Website

Okay, Shantell.  PM me your address and as soon as I finish sewing him up he'll be on his way!!  He'd otherwise end up on the misfit toy island.  His wings are upside down and he's rather odd to me....but if you love him....he's yours!  No charge.  No shipping.  Happy Easter!!   bear_original  bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA
Marion wrote:

I told you that elsewhere but I love them all ! And now I want to make chiiiicks !!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Marion, RED chicks! Oh Yes!
Sonya

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I love them all Aleta - but especially the one that looks like a pigeon!!!!!

What's wrong with pigeons anyway? O yeah, they poo on your car  bear_wacko  bear_whistle

Penny  :hug:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Aleta, I

love

them all!! bear_wub   Where's an ugly duckling?.............I don't see one........they're all wonderful!!

:hug:
Tracy

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I love the first one too! Its cute and fuzzy.  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

Board footer