Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Well I have really enjoyed the lively, often heated debates on shill bidding, copying and general take on what goes on in the bear world. I like to hear different opinions even if they are'nt my own personal ones.

Unfortunately I have had a couple of emails and comments about a lady doing similar bears to mine and 'maybe' also getting up to some of the things we have been talking about. bear_angry What can we do? As the posts have said its not an easy subject to deal with. So..... off to have a sulk.... then make the very best bear I can so everyone can see the 'other' bears are'nt a patch on mine!!! bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_rolleyes

P.S. I will not eat chocolate to feel better, I need to get into my new jeans. There I've made a public, worldwide statement! bear_whistle  bear_tongue

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Amanda wrote:

Unfortunately I have had a couple of emails and comments about a lady doing similar bears to mine.....

When I read your post Amanda, it reminded me of a favorite pasttime of mine... collecting older issues of the teddy bear magazines, looking at the bears and trying to guess which artist did the bear. 

I am wrong MANY times.... the bears in the older magazines often looks like someone elses bears today....   In many cases the artist from the old magazines is not into bears anymore.   I just don't think we can help it sometimes!!! 

I have been told by one of my friends  (in a friendly way  bear_original ) that my bears remind her of Susan Arnot's bears....  I took it as a compliment bear_original

Shelli's bears have some features similar to Michelle Lamb's bears....  Why?  Because Shelli learned a lot from Michelle! 

I've noticed several big named bear aritsts in the Eastern US bear a resemblance to Ted Menton's bears....why?  Ted has taught a lot of classes and I believe he is from that area.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All I can do is send big hugs for your pout time.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh Amanda. That sucks!

But your creations are soo cute, no-one could ever make them as good as you do.  :hug:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Laura Lynn wrote:  I just don't think we can help it sometimes!!! 

Yes i quite agree Laura, but i believe the case that Amanda is referring to is'nt just a coincidental passing resemblence. The bears do indeed 'look' like hers and as she has a very distinctive style i happen to agree with her that there is a great possibility that she has been 'copycatted'

As we all know Amanda's tremendous little bears have been fetching very good prices on eBay and i think that this was the driving force behind the other maker to copy her design - especially when the makers usual style of bear was completely different until a very short while ago.

Poor You Amanda - but you are the real Artist here, not the copycat.

Enjoy your sulk  :hug:   bear_tongue   bear_wub

Penny  bear_flower  bear_thumb

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Listen Amanda! Don't fret Hon! Your baby bears are unique and wonderful. Look at the awesome prices they bring on EBAY. You have a wonderful talent and have established a wonderful name. Not to worry!

Many Hugs Louise

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

That stinks!!  bear_angry  I'm sorry Amanda-----lots of hugs for you! bear_wub
Tracy

Staffordshire, UK

Sulk over. Thanks everyone. :hug: Points taken. As Penny said there are other factors that unfortunately led in a certain direction on the issue. Still not had any chocolate though! bear_grin I can reccommend needlefelting...jab..jab..JAB...JAB!!!! bear_tongue

Dilu Posts: 8,574

:hug: Oh dear.... :hug: 'manda,  bear_cry

I didn' t know you were having these problems,

I am so sorry.

Here's a thought though;  if someone copies you it is because they are not creative enough to come up with the fine tuning to keep the line going.  Because it is your style you will be able to fine tune and tweke.

I am sorry for you darling,  :hug:  but you know the truth.  And the talkers are behind you.

gollygoodhugs to you.....

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Lisa . . . GREAT cartoon!  You rock, my friend!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh no!  Something like this is so heartbreaking and can really really hurt!

I am sorry, dear :hug:

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Amanda im so sorry to hear that, you keep making your little darlings as no one can make them as good as you can  :hug:

Hugs
Vicki

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

What goes around will come around full circle.

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.

I too, have seen a bear on ebay which looks like similar to my Sherwood.  It gives me a very uneasy feeling but also makes me strive to do even better.

((((((((((( :hug: bear_wub   :hug: )))))))))))))))

Shame on them!

Amanda...eat chocolate.   Then dance.  It will make you feel better. bear_wub

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh I am sorry Amanda...ughh...what can I say...I agree with the other girls thoughts... but what can you do to stop it..have you heard of Vero...never been into it but may be worth a look. 
Just wish people like that had a conscience....I wonder if they are proud of the copy, like they don't see it as dishonest but a 'wow aren't I so clever' sort of thing...can be flattering in that way, but not...like Judi says, what goes around will come around..you keep making those gorgeous bears and collectors will know you are the gifted artist.
huge hugs
Sarah

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

gotobedbears wrote:

....Poor You Amanda - but you are the real Artist here, not the copycat.

Awww Amanda.. I'm so sorry ... I got your post mixed up when I read it.. I think I live with my head in the sand... and sometimes like it that way....  bear_wacko

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

Okay, this won't win me any fans but I've been reading all the comments about copying and biting my tongue is starting to hurt.

If all you have is a gimmick then people copying you is a problem -- it's still copying if all you do is repeat yourself. Your only option is to whip out copies faster and cheaper. You can make a good living (briefly) off the people who are willing to pay for a gimmick -- remember Furbies? If you plan to only ever have one good idea then get yourself to the patent office and invent the new silly putty.

If you are an artist you learn that art isn't the thing you end up with, art is the process. Copying is just people following behind you, and no one can copy something they haven't seen yet. If it makes you feel better invent an -ism and name the path you are creating through the wilderness. Or consider that if no one is trying to copy you then perhaps what you're making isn't all that distictive or interesting.

If you are mostly interested in making money to get by then this probably not the industry to be in.

But regardless of whether you are an artist or you are just turning the crank to whip out the latest fuzz with eyes get off your whiny butt and DO it. So what if there aren't hoards of collectors shoving money down your pants, you really think somebody on ebay is to blame?  bear_angry Get over it. Use that energy to do something positive, because there's enough negativity in the world already. 

Bitching done. I feel better now.

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh Erika!! bear_shocked  The latest fuzz with eyes?   bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh   That nearly had me on the floor!  Thank you for the enlightenment.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well Erika, part of me agrees with you.....I do think that you talk lots of sense....and as someone who has been on the receiving end of similar accusations (therein lies another story and one which I will not go into now...but suffice it to say that I count myself as someone with enough grey matter to think up my own patterns..and so I am still shocked that I was dealt such an ugly card early in my career as a bear artist...but believe me it didn't for one moment stop my bearmaking) I do think as a constantly evolving artist the trick is to keep ahead of the game so that if people are copying, then what they are copying is what you left behind.

I have seen the bears that Amanda means and they do look like hers...I don't know if it's intentional ( actually I know this lady and she is very nice and has been making bears for years and years)....but in any event Amanda, I think you bears are superb and you have the right idea in making better and better bears..and proving that you are the organ grinder...not the monkey.

Staffordshire, UK

As I said in my post, not an easy subject to deal with. Lots of interesting points too. I suppose it comes down to

'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!!!'

Off to put my asbestos suit on. Mind you is'nt asbestos poisonous? bear_grin

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Lisa, just off topic, I noticed a few of your sketches around the place recently, are you a cartoonist?

You are very talented :clap:

Staffordshire, UK

Hee hee. I think your cartoons are great. Same weather here sunny with the odd shower, bit like us hey? bear_grin

Board footer