Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

images.jpgI always like a good discussion, thats why I like it when people give their genuine opinions/sides to a story. In another post Jenny said its good to strive to be the organ grinder and not the monkey. Thanks for your comments Jenny. :hug:  Now which am I? Am I the monkey churning the bears out for peanuts and feeling like I am turning that crank? Well yes it can feel like that. I need and want to make good money on my bears. This is a business not a hobby. Hobby does'nt pay the bills. So some times fetch me a banana for lunch, get that bear made and put on ebay!!! Just use paypal, I'm fed up with peanuts!!!! bear_tongue

Now to be the Organ grinder. 'Why are you spending loads of time doing that little needlefelted thing, when you could be making a bear for ebay?', comment from Hubby. Because I want to be the organ grinder. Its when I have the time and can take a step back that I strive to be creative and do what I want to do, as any bear maker/artist who does this for a living will know, is few and far between times.

In the end, I don't collect bears and WANT to make bears collectors will love ANDbuy so I can go on doing the thing I want to, make bears for a living. If they did'nt sell I'd soon be collecting bears, mine collecting dust on the shelf. bear_tongue

So yes I do feel like a right monkey sometimes (well thats what my mum used to call me) but who sometimes cares, its the monkey who keeps the organ going but he still needs the Organ grinder to be in charge. If its a bear BUSINESS you can't always have one without the other.

Off to shout at that monkey, he's a bloody lazy sod, always sulking in corners when he should be working!!! bear_tongue

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It's a dilemma isn't it?

At the moment I'm busy making repeat orders for my limited editions, because they are what pay the bills and keep food on the table, but I'd love more free time to organ grind!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I've tried to set up my work schedule a little differently this year, so that I don't get too bogged down with orders.  I've tried to incorporate some space every week for developing new bears - hopefully that will help to keep my website regularly refreshed!

I've found in the past that when I accept lots of repeat orders, everything fizzles out by the time the last edition bear is completed and then I have to work like a lunatic to try and draw in some income.

It's a bit of a balancing act!!  bear_cry

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I suppose in reality everyone does a bit of the monkeying...ie dancing to someone elses tune...otherwise no money would be made. That's why I never intend to give up my day job to be a full time artist...and though I do a fair bit of churning out in the salon..it means I can take the decision not to take any more commissions which I just can't do....not the kind where the commissioner says 'can you do me one like'Fluffypoos' in beige alpaca with a hat and scarf on!....Can't cope with that....so I like to think I grind the organ while dancing to the music!!!!

I can't cope with anyone telling me what to do....organ grinder?...Control freak more like!!!

ScottBear scott's bears

I have never heard that expression !! yesterday the soap one from the ausse's and now this one .I love this one bear_thumb yesterday was spent finishing 24 arms and legs and last night was stuffing heads !!! yepyee I get to work on li'l faces now thank god..but when I get to the other side of faces I have to do ears grrrr ears kill me I can never commit and just get um on !!!   bear_grin So today I am feeling like the Monkey ! Need to go get a banana in me and get to dancing lol
BearHugs
SCOTT

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I heard one of Penny's today, really funny but for my ears only, she might share wiith you Melanie! bear_tongue 

I laughed my socks off! There you go another one.

Scott people say the daftest things. I love Jenny's take on it, there are no flies on her! Another one for you. bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I suspect that all of us have organ-monkey-grinding days.  And perhaps that is why we can relate to each other's frustrations.

Perhaps its the old two steps forward one step back syndrom?

Hang in their Amanda....you aren't alone and you know you can do it.

:hug:

dilu

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Jenny - exactly what you said!!!  I can't do orders - plain and simple - just cant do them.  I know I'm fortunate to be an "addition" to the family income and have a choice, but I think if I absolutely had to take an order, I'd quit and get a regular job.  Hello, my name is Brenda and I AM A CONTROL FREAK!

Hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm the peanut.

bear_original

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Brenda,   bear_flower
I think we are actually sisters....mysteriously misplaced at birth!  We have so much in common, right down to the art magazines we read and the morals we value.  I stand with you when I say, "My name is Aleta, and I too, am a control freak."   bear_laugh

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Aleta, welcome to the family LOL!  It is odd how similar we are - I sure wished we lived closer to each other. 

Hugs,

Brenda

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Today...I feel like the shell!!  bear_wacko  bear_cry

Shantell, way off topic here, but how are you making out with Skippy?

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer