Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

elma Posts: 1

hi, ive not made any standing bears yet but would like to. But, what do i use to make them stand on their own two feet? is it just stuffing, wire or do i just need to learn the magic words? many thanks for any hints or advice. xx

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Elma,
I haven’t done this either, but I’ve heard that weighting the feet is important along with firmly-jointed legs.
Hoping you get other tips from those who have actually made standing bears. :)
Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've made standing bears, Elma, and have used a couple of different methods.  Becky is correct about putting weight in the feet and firmly jointing the legs.  One way is to cut a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the foot pad pattern piece, then slip it into place after sewing the pad to the foot/leg pieces.  Then you can add your filling materials to the foot.  To add a little more weight, I used BBs along with whatever other filling materials you choose to stuff the leg.  (Most of the BBs would go in the foot.)  The other method is to skip the cardboard, but make sure you distribute the BBs and other filling evenly in the foot so you can shape the pad to make it flat.  Hope this helps.

BobbyJ Posts: 1

Hi Emma I'm quite new to teddy making but most of my beard are standing bears. Not sure if there is a correct way of doing it but I make sure my leg joints are really tight and stuff legs quite firmly and use ball bearings wrapped in stuffing to go in the feet. I also use ball bearings in the bottom and the tummy as I find this helps them to balance. Hope this helps

PinkLizzie Posts: 3

UK People - where would be the best place to but ball bearings?

JulieK Suffolk
PinkLizzie wrote:

UK People - where would be the best place to but ball bearings?

I got my last lot of weighting from mohair bear supplies, I got their steel pellets. I put them in the feet and bums of my bears.

Julie

Board footer