Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I know there's probably no definitive answer on this - is it under 1 inch, under 1.5 inch? under 2 inch?  Nancy probably knows this one....

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Melissa,    For me, I think that anything under 1.5 inches would be a micro mini.   At that point the skill to create a realistic bear is just amazing!   Just as your bears are amazing and wonderful!!!!    I love sewing mini's but I have a really hard time getting a good look under 1.5.    The bear in my avatar is 2 inches...    I still keep trying for a smaller bear but I have not been able to get that small.

I'll be anxious to hear everyone's opinion!   

Duff

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Melissa, I really don't know what constitutes a micro...I list my 7/8" to 1 1/2" bears as micros because I need magnification help to make them have their little expressions.  To get a true 'big bear face' on a head smaller than a kernel of corn, takes a lot of time and patience.
Also the turning them is very difficult...so I put a lot of time into them. 
But Melissa, I think the one thing that determines it for me, is when I drop a part I am working on and I freak out because they are very difficult to find.  bear_grin  bear_grin
So those are the determining factors for me. ..but I don't know what is the 'legal' description of a micro.  I feel that mine are truly micros, but hey, I could be wrong  bear_grin
I think when you drop a part on your keyboard and lose it...it's a micro!!!! hahaha
hugs,
Nanc.........

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Nancy - your babies are most definitely micro....only a pixie could make bears smaller than yours.

so if I put a 1.5 inch bear on ebay I could call it a micro mini without getting shot down in flames????

tee hee - micro mini, I swear some of the ones those girls are wearing now really are only 2 inches wide!!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I would say under 2". you have been very busy Melissa, its nice to see you back on here again. Now I need to get off here and go do some bears! bear_whistle

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
WildCatDancer wrote:

I'm from the wrong generation. I saw that heading and my first thought was "any skirt you have to roll down before the parents see you."

I saw somewhere that it was anything under two inches, but I don't know how authorative that was.

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  Oh my gosh, that one gets a huge laugh from me WildCatDancer!  I was a teenager in the late 80's... the age of spandex and tiny skirts.... I used to come down the stairs and my Dad would say... get back upstairs... that's a BELT, not a skirt!!!!!!!  bear_innocent

I am praying that the "prairy look" is fashionable again when my daughter gets to high school!

As for bears.... I kinda go with a under two inches rule of thumb for micro minis. 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You people making two inch bears are NUTS!  Honestly, how on earth do you do it???  I'm not kidding.  I can hardly turn a six inch arm!!!

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I tried a 2" bear once...I think I might have to try it again with different fur...it was the hardest thing I'd ever done!!  And to be so worried about ripping the little thing that was no thicker inside than your hemostats---aurgh!

Melissa, that's definitely a micro mini!!

Amelia

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_wub  :hug:
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

WildCatDancer wrote:

I also was madly in love with Peter Tork of the Monkees

Wow!  Me too!  Everyone was puzzled and thought Davy Jones was THE SHIZZIT, but I was smitten with Peter.  If I had to choose now, to suit my adult tastes, I'd go with Mike Nesmith; the quiet, contemplative, hairy/masculine bear of the bunch!

We are kindred spirits, WildCatDancer (please tell me your name, or even better, add it to your signature!)  First NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN, and now Peter Tork.

I'm more and more convinced that I was born into the entirely wrong generation.  While my outside looks pretty much like a suburban yuppie soccer mom with blonde highlights and a pedicure, and while I was raised with the 80's mentality that women can do it all (which I've since discovered is a heap of crap; NO ONE can do it ALL!), I have for the last decade or so been trying to get in touch with my inner Janis Joplin, which I think, beneath the shellacked veneer of material girl-ism, is more my true spirit and soul's deepest expression.  I shoulda been a flower child.  Peace, love, and understanding.  And the MONKEES!  What a great world it would be...

bear_original

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

The Thread Artist Guild defines micro as anything under 2 inches.

/bearhugs,

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thanks Mary!

tee hee - if I crocheted anything at all it would have to be a "macro" bear - I'm all thumbs when it comes to crochet.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I shoulda been a flower child.  Peace, love, and understanding.

bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Woohoo Shelli!  :dance:

I was a flower child--long hair, long skirts, long earrings, dark eye makeup, pale lipstick, the whole thing. Well, everything but the drugs. And my lack of materialism wasn't voluntary. For me it was all about the music and the great threads.

The music was paradise. There's certainly been nothing like that surge of genius since. I feel sorry for my poor kids, who prefer the music of my generation to the relative garbage they got.

I'm afraid the Boston-area flower children were a grimmer lot than the San Franciscans--I've rarely met such a pack of parasitical, conformist hypocrites and peace-&-love posers. The one San Franciscan flower child I did meet was full of genuine peace and love, but so spaced out that I don't think he was understanding much!

Eileen

Board footer