Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

BerLynne Ontario -GTA

So a little while back my old workhorse Sears-Kenmore Sewing Machine gave up on me and I'd like to get my hands on a new one. This is where you wonderful experts come in! Can you please give me any ideas on what to look for in a new machine? I didn't use my old one for anything but seaming art doll patterns, and now it's going to be Teddys (teddies?) I'm determined to get this artist bear thing right! I'd like to stick with a simpler machine, only because the ones with all the bells and whistles confuse me, but how simple is too simple? Is there such a thing as too simple?

I've decided to get one new and boxed, I had to do lots of babysitting with my old girl during the last little bit and I don't want to be surprised by a new used machines quirks... I just want to sew!

Thank you for any input and info out of your wealth of knowledge you can share on this topic! bear_original

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

I don't believe there's such a thing as too simple, when it comes to plushies. You don't generally need fancy stitches for plush toys, after all.
The only really important feature is a walking foot, but you can buy one for just about any model. Buying one greatly improved my quality of life haha

BerLynne Ontario -GTA

I've got a walking foot... I never even thought about it but maybe I should look for one that my foot o
Is compatible with!

Thank you soon much for bringing that up! I wasn't even thinking of the holy grail of furry fabric sewing! bear_grin

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

You shouldn't let that restrict your machine selection. A new walking foot isn't expensive.

Board footer