Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Here is a funny new problem...how would you go about making a bear that has a skinny neck? I have seen some bear like this; Nysa Phillipi 's...and others

Would you build  the neck shape in with the body top ?

Or would you build it into the head bottom ?

Or do both ?

Or would you make  a seperate neck piece  like the wedge used for Polar and other realistic bears ? ...Winney

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, I have one of Nysa's books and she adds it to the head.
I also  do this. But I guess it would depend on where you wanted it jointed.

That's about all the help I can be today. LOL

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I add to the head

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I have seen it done both ways, from the neck and from the head.  OR  I have added a separeate neck section jointed to both the head and the body.  bear_original

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Winney, I add to both head and body. And on the  long neck's and body's joint place it's better to use  round piece of mohair, instead of gathering. Then you'll have more smoother and longer neck.  bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great suggestion, Julia! I hadn't thought about that!  :doh:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Daphne, you welcome!

Funny thing, I found it when I used my regular head pattern. Not sure why i decided to put that round piece of mohair instead of gathering..The head turned out awful..  bear_wacko  bear_whistle  The pattern of traditional teddy doesn't have almost any neck at all. But that bear had one, an awful one, because the body was traditional too.
Eventually, I redid whole bear and he turned out to be the popular one. It was Stepan.

I'm writing it to make sure that the pattern for the long neck bear should be a little different from the traditional one.  :hug:

Julia

White City, Oregon

I want to make a necklace for this bear so adding to the neck will help the necklace show up better and lay right ...
All good suggestions...I think I will add to both body top and head bottom...Winney

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I also make bears with long necks Winney. It depends what you want your neck to do. How much movement if any? I have made them with a separate neck piece(which is my favourite) and body neck and head neck.
When it is bodyneck then I am able to add a spine to my bear. Which I was doing quite often before I was pulled away to make platypussy's.  You can also make the neck and shoulder area one piece.
AGAIN it depends on what you want your neck and head to do.  bear_smile

White City, Oregon

I must give it a go...see what happens... this will be fun..thanks all...Winney

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Winnie,

I designed my latest bear Callie with a longer neck, with no problems, just so she could wear her necklaces.

I DESIGNED HER PATTERN WITH A BIGGER NECK ON THE HEAD PIECE AND THE BODY THIS IS HOW SHE TURNED OUT.

C1.jpgC2.JPG

Hope this helps...
Lanie x

White City, Oregon

Sweet girl....now that is perfect.... she looks great in her necklace. it shows up nicely. Thank you for showing Callie....It will be fun to try all the different ways...I like the idea of the seperate neck piece too...I am thinking you can make any length neck for an animal by adding more wood discs inside ...for stability..

I also saw where if you add a larger disc in the body than in the neck tha tit will be more stable for support....wonder if thats how Phillipi does it? She make reallllll long necked bears....THanks everyone., you are all such abig help....good tip to add flat fabric circles under the neck sections to keep things flat.......Winney

Board footer