Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi everyone! 

Just popped in for a quick bit cause I remembered this tip that I use.  I've started basting many of my bear pieces with staples!  It's much faster than basting by hand.  I tried just pinning (or clipping) my pieces together and sewing on machine... but my pieces always slipped.  So I resigned myself to the fact that I need to baste.

I don't use this method on the head, gusset or footpads.  And not on the small bears.  Usually on the 8" and larger.  It's such a timesaver for me!

Before I even cut my pieces out of the fabric... I run fray check all around the pattern pieces.  I didn't used to need to do this when I basted by hand... but the staples DO put a little stress on the fabric and the fray check does a great job of protecting the edges.  I don't have any problems now.

DSC_0041.jpg

First I use alligator clips instead of pins to secure the pattern pieces.

DSC_0042.jpg

Then I remove one clip at a time and carefully staple the pieces together.
I used to have trouble keeping the mohair from slipping
but it got much easier with practice. 
You can see here why you want a good stapler that you can see
exactly where you are "placing" the staple.

DSC_0046.jpg

Here is how I run the pieces thru the machine.  The needle has no problem since I stapled near the edges.

DSC_0047.jpg

After my sewing is finished... I remove the staples. 
I use a "stick style" staple remover you can find at Staples (or probably any other office supply store)
It's just not the "alligator jaws type"

First, slip the "tongue" or whatever it's called...
under the staple.

DSC_0049.jpg

Carefully lift one edge of the staple out of the fabric.
I prefer to leave one side in the fabric for now....

DSC_0050.jpg

And then I carefully remove all the staples out of the fabric
by hand.  This way I have less damage to the edge of the fabric
and more importantly... I don't have staples going flying everywhere..
which would only be found by bare feet!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You're a sweetie, Laura, to show how this time-saving technique works . . . thanks a bunch!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful, wonderful photo tutorial!  Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph; carefully explain; and post.  I might just have to try that for myself!

Carlene Posts: 1

Thanks for the great idea. I have hand basted and it takes forever. I just gave up a project using black persian lamb because it slips terribly.  You have given me new hope that perhaps I can do it if I use staples first.  Many thanks for the photos.:)

clare14 Country Bears
England

I am very much behind Laura with this, this tool is FANTASTIC!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

It has saved so much time (which is very precious to me as I'm sure is with you!!)  It is wonderful!!

Laura's photo's look exactly as I do too, we must have met in a former life!!  Tee! Hee!

RECOMMEND TO EVERY BEAR MAKER!!!!

Thanks Laura!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

bear_laugh  glad to have helped out~

Board footer