Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I have never done a show and would like to try this soon.  I noticed there is one in Shaumberg (sp?), Illinois the end of October, so I checked the site at ABC Productions and couldn't find any info for signing on as an exbitor.  Would I need to contact them by email maybe?  How far ahead must one do this?  Maybe this show is too big for a first timer?  It is within driving distance though, and there aren't many that are, so...............I'm hoping for some pointers here as I don't want to come across as an idiot!!  :redface: :lol:

:hug:  :hug:
Tracy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tracy,
There are many here who do the Shaumburg, IL show so may have info specific to that show.

In general, if an application to a show isn't available on the promoter's website by all means, email them! A big and popular show like the Shaumburg show might fill up early so the sooner you contact them, the better. Other promoters with smaller shows still needing to fill spaces will accept exhibitors right up to show time.

Some shows are 'Invitation Only' shows... though not many..... however don't let that intimidate you. Email or call and ASK for an invitation. They may not know about you or your interest in the show unless you express it and ask to be on their mailing list.

As a first time promoter I set a deadline for applications well in advance of the show. I need time to put applications through the jury process, plan sales floor layout, get programs printed with all the exhibitors contact info, blah, blah.... a well organized show will have deadlines for such reasons.

I've had many artists email me wanting to be in the show..... and I've welcomed thier apps! The more the merrier! No promoter can possibly contact every artist... especially new ones!

Hope I've helped, shed a little light or something. I'm sure folks familiar with the show in question will pop in with advice!

:hug:
Daphne

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hi Tracy,

Schaumburg is a great show that quite a few Teddy Talk members attend (including me).  If it doesn't work out for you to be a vendor this year, how about coming as a visitor?  It's a big show in a great city, there's lots to see and do!

Your best bet would be to contact ABC (Connie and Amber) directly to see if they still have space available, their contact information should be on their site.  Contracts for their shows are usually available something like half a year before the actual show.  They also run a show in Schaumburg in April, if the October one doesn't work out for you.  Be advised that ABC shows are on the expensive side as bear shows go, though it is worth it as they are large multiple day shows that are well advertised, well respected and well run. 

I'm trying to think of other shows in your area.  Good Bears of the World is running a show in Kansas next year (no show this year as there was a change in show promoters).  Valerie Rogers of Bright Star runs a show in Indianapolis, I'm thinking that might not be too bad a drive from Iowa?  In fact, I know she's still looking for vendors because I got an email recently about it.  But it is SOON, it's on June 4th, I don't know if you have enough bears ready at this time.  I'd be there, but I'll be at a show in NJ the same day.  My understanding is that this was probably the last year for the St Louis, MO show as attendance was poor.  And the show that used to run in Kohler, WI is also gone.  I dunno, that may be pretty much it for your area???  There are a fair number of shows in Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky if you can stretch that far.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Iowa
Website

Thanks gals for your much needed and appreciated advice! :hug:

I'm thinking now that it might be a good idea to take a weedend trip in October and go to the Shaumberg show as a visitor and also contact ABC for the show in April instead.  Visiting the show this fall would be a good way to 'gather information' by actually seeing where I would be exhibiting before-hand.  I am a visual learner most of the time! bear_tongue  bear_grin  Plus I could meet some TTer's while I'm there......that's the best part! bear_grin

I wish there were more shows closer to Iowa.......or even better would be IN Iowa......seems like we're in somewhat of a 'deadzone' here. bear_sad  There was an annual show in Des Moines at one time, but it has disappeared it seems.   That's really too bad about the St. Louis show......I do hope they decide to continue with it anyway. 

Tracy

The show in Kansas by Good Bears of the World might be do-able too.  I'll look into that one as well.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have enough bears to do a show next month.....plus the contractor is supposed to start on our addition then, so I won't be going anywhere for a while anyway! bear_grin

NY

I forgot... Clarion, IA has a big show once every 5 years.  It takes over the entire town  bear_original   Next one isn't until 2010 though!

I just did a quick search and there seems to be some localized doll & bear shows in IA.  Here's a few, I found them at http://www.jonespublishing.com/jphome/j … lendar.asp, contact info can be found on that site as well.  More local doll & bear shows can be a gamble for bear artists, in my humble opinion, but as the drive is generally short and the price usually cheap, they can be worth a try!

September 10, 2006
Annual Fall Doll-Toy-Bear Show/Sale
Maquoketa, IA      
Event Description
    Over 200 tables of antique, modern and collectible dolls, toys and bears. Dealers from 6 states attending.

October 8, 2006
Old Capitol Doll Club of Iowa Doll & Bear Show & Sale
Iowa City, IA 

Nov. 11, 2006
3rd Annual Fall Des Moines Doll, Bear & Toy Sale
Des Moines, IA        
Event Description
    More than 150 tables full of antique, collectible & modern dolls, bears & toys. Also original artist dolls & bears, vintage & modern toys, miniatures, reference books, doll clothes, supplies & patterns, Barbie & friends, Steiff & more. Also features doll a & bear appraisals and on-site doll repair.

Nov. 12, 2006
23rd Annual Wonderland Doll, Toy & Bear Show/Sale
Davenport, IA        
Antique, Modern and Collectible Dolls,Toys, & bears

Best wishes,
Kelly

Iowa
Website

Oh yes, the Clarion show........I haven't forgotten that one, but it's a while to wait! bear_laugh

So there is one in Des Moines this fall.....how did I miss that? :doh:   I may try that one.  Actually, how did I miss all of these?  I'm not looking in the right place obviously!  Thanks Kelly!

Here's another question.....are these shows primarily doll shows with a few bears and toys tossed in do you think?  I guess I can contact the promoters and find out the answer to that question.  I know there are some doll collectors that also collect bears, but I would hate to do a show that just has a few bear artists as an "after thought" kind of thing......does that make sense? bear_wacko

Tracy

NY

I don't know anything at all about those specific shows... but generally speaking, doll and bears shows that I've seen run at about 90% dolls.  Or more.  And doll buyers rarely seem interested in bears.  But that doesn't mean you won't sell artist bears.  You may sell none, some, or more.  But the same holds true for 100% bear shows as well these days!  I've seen people spend lots of money to fly to a big bear show, pay hundreds for the table, and then not sell a thing.  The best part about local doll & bear shows is that that are close by and almost always cheap to attend.   If you're not used to attending shows as a vendor, you could always look at attending a local doll & bear show as a learning experience to prepare you for serious all-bear shows down the road.

Try asking the show promoters how many bear (and doll) ARTISTS attend those shows.  If the visitors to the show are used to artist prices, they won't suffer life-threatening sticker shock at your table of artist bears.  If you're the only artist in the room however, having $150 bears next to tables full of $1.50 beanie babies isn't going to do you a lot of good.

Best of luck!
Kelly

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Can't help you with this Tracy - but i do wish you all the Luck in the World if you decide to go ahead with it my little sugarlamb.
bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Anyway...............your work is wonderful so i think you would do well selling it ANYWHERE!  :hug:

Penny  bear_tongue

Iowa
Website
Kelly wrote:

The best part about local doll & bear shows is that that are close by and almost always cheap to attend.   If you're not used to attending shows as a vendor, you could always look at attending a local doll & bear show as a learning experience to prepare you for serious all-bear shows down the road.

These are excellent points Kelly......this is something I am seriously considering as a way to 'get my feet wet'.  It is a bit nerve wracking to think of attending my first show as a vendor......that fear of the 'unknown' and all!  I am going to contact a couple of the promoters for these smaller doll/bear shows here in Iowa.  I noticed that the one in Iowa City is the only one that advertised in both the doll and teddy magazines.  The rest just targeted the doll collectors.  Don't know if that means anything, but I'm going to contact them first.  Another plus is that this is the 25th year for this show.  Anyway, even if I don't make a sale, it certainly wouldn't be a waste of time or money!

Thanks so much for all the advice.......just what I needed!! :hug:

Penny--I really appreciate the vote of confidence and good wishes........I need those too!!  :hug:  :hug:

bear_wub
Tracy

Board footer