Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I do know how to do them but i was wanting to know if there was a way of containing the wobble to more of a tilt rather then my head is going to fall off?
Now I know there is nothing wrong with it but I would like to know some techniques to change the wobbliness.

sarahjane Brisbane

Browen when I use wobble joints I contain them by how hard I turn the cotter pins...the more you turn them the less wobble.

Although I have trouble sometimes I now find that if you make the first one (inside the head) really firm then you can do your adjusting with the one inside the body..(is this making any sense at all??)

I'm never sure how much wobble is good though...I have a bear I made recently that I absolutely love except his head looks like its going to fall off every time I pick him up  :crackup:  so I'm going to have to take him apart (again) and redo his wobble!!!

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears
sarahjane wrote:

so I'm going to have to take him apart (again) and redo his wobble!!!

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   That sound soooooooo painful. 

Sorry - couldn't resist. :crackup:  :crackup:

Sandra  :redface:

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Dear Bronwen,

When you say wobble joint, are you talking about using two cotterpins by looping the eyes together and then inserting the spike open ends into the head and one into the body?  This technique will give you a really wobbly head and broke neck look.

I make my bears with wobble heads by using the traditonal cotterpin technique.   Run a single cotterpin through a disc and enclose inside the head.   Attach the head to the body in the normal way.  Instead of tightening the cotterpin as tight as I can get it, I curl the ends just tight enough so the head will wobble from side to side and front to back without looking as if it will fall off any second.  Almost all my bears have the looser cotterpin heads which enables them to pose in a lot of cute positions.

Hugs,

Wanda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is how I do my wobble joints as well, Wanda.... I just make sure that they wobble isnt too wobbly... THAT DRIVES ME NUTS!

Also, I just wanted to point out... I wouldnt make them too wobbly, as Wanda said, it would make it hard for posing and would look like the head would fall off!  :crackup:

K Pawz Guest

Hi guys,
I don't know if this is proper technique or not...but what I do is use the hardboard disks with the bolts and washers, and I place a smaller disk in the body than the one in the head, and not tighten a great deal, the fur and the bolt provides alot of support, this allows for a posable head without the head fall off apperance....like I said I don't know if this is proper, but it sure works for me...and that way I don't have to fiddle with cotter pins...yuck!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Thankyou! I was using the 2 cotterpin method and as i said my bears head just flopped forward.
thankyou very much.

sarahjane Brisbane

Me too Bronwen I think I'll try the single cotter pin technique next time..  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great idea, and a truly DUH  :doh:  concept, in hindsight.  Thanks for offering it, Wanda!

PS  I have one of Wanda's bears, MACARONI -- he's so cute! -- and the posture is darling!!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Krista,

I'm going to try your method. When I use the larger cotterpins for a larger bear, the loops are so big that there's too much wobble no matter how tightly I curl them  bear_sad  even when the shoulders are well stuffed.

bear_original Wanda,

When you use the joined cotterpins for the wobble joint, do you also use a smaller disk in the body?

Eileen

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Krista, I do my wobble heads that way also, as I didn't like how they are with the cotter pin..........It really works well Bron

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website
Eileen wrote:

bear_original

bear_original Wanda,

When you use the joined cotterpins for the wobble joint, do you also use a smaller disk in the body?

Eileen

Eileen,

It depends on the look I'm after.  I usually use the same size disc in the body as the head and then adjust the tightness of the cotterpin.   I have used the smaller disc in the body with great success for an older looking bear.  Just depends on the "look" you are aftern...... there's always more than one way to do anything.

Hugs,

Wanda

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Wanda--I think I'll try using same-sized disks next time.

Eileen

Board footer