Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

bearsbybeesley.jpgHi guys. I also saw the post from Lisa about business names and I found it an interesting subject to say the least.

It is funny that this has come up because yesterday I was going to post the question of how each of you came up with your business name and what the thought or reason was behind the name that you choose.

We as you know we are called bears by beesley. The reason I chose this name was because beesley was a nick name I was given as a teenager. I hated it with a passion and still to this day do not know why I was called beesley???:/ It sounded kinda cute with the bears though so I decided to use it. We have trade marked this name to protect us from the problem mentioned in Lisa's post.

Anyway, we have a bee logo which I designed and added to the name. The bee in my heart represents achieving the impossible. Because I am disabled and my left hand is totally curled in permanently, (and frankly quite useless) I found it fitting when struggling to make my bears.

I was wondering how each of you picked your business name and why?:/

The names are all so nice and it would be interesting to find out what is behind them. :lol:

Please share.

Hugs and Blessings Louise

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Mine Kim-Bee Bears is Kim - my name Bee- stands for two things - a bee which is what is on my shrinky dink tags and B - for my last name! bear_laugh

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow Louise!

I am always so touched and impressed and inspired by what I witness in people who could be labeled disabled but are usually the last to use such a term on themselves.  My aunt, back in the day that washing machines were on legs, put her hand up into the machinery.  Well you can imagine what truly awful mess that was.  Because her father was a doctor she was able to have the finest treatments of the day-and by todays standards would have been fine, but because this was 80 years ago her hand ended up being a mess and she was always terribly ashamed of it.

I bring this up by way of showing how one person, Louise, succeeds, and another, my aunt, doesn't

My aunt had an unbelievable voice, she could have been a coloratura.....spelling Winney  help?
But because she was so terribly ashamed of her hand she refused to try anything.  She is a recluse, and doesn't even like family to come over too often.  I always found this to be sad.....because I grew up listening to her singing and would have loved to have recordings.
She closed herself off.  This wonderful warm funny lady closed herself off from the world.

Our Louise, spunky gal that she is, has succeeded and triumphed over the adversity in her life, only to do something so fabulous for other people.  She makes wonderful bears that bring comfort and happiness to others. 

Isn't that truly the mark of a well lived life?  To bring happiness and Joy and comfort to others?

Thank you so much for sharing Louise!  You are a true sweetheart!

Gollygeehuggins to you

Dilu

Tofield Alberta Canada

Bless your heart Dilu and thank you for the kind words.

Four years ago when I became ill, I must admit I did not have the most positive outlook on things. I was losing my balance and ability to walk and my left hand just would not cooperate with the rest of me. I could no longer walk without a cane and could no longer drive. Therefor had to quit a job that I had loved for 16 years as a Human Resource Manager for a large Canadian Bank.

Yep, it is true! Good ol Louise felt quite sorry for herself. I was diagnosed with Hemi Dystonia and damage to the Basil Ganglia of my little brain.:lol:  In a nut shell this is similar in character to MS. It is a progressive ailment and I just thank my lucky stars each day I wake, stand on my feet and walk to the bathroom.

Anyway I had no intention of going on and on but just wanted to say that I actually feel very privileged to have our bears. They are truly a joy in my life (along with the old guy of course). My mother, (bless her beautiful soul) always said there are people far worse off. That is so very true. I still have my life, my mind, (well part of it) bear_tongue my family, my 4 wonderful puppies and of course the bears. For this I am so very thankful.

Gosh what got into me today??:lol:

I just want to say that I love each and every one of you guys and thank God for such wonderful friends and blessings in my life.

Hugs  Louise (Little Miss Long Winded)!:mad:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Bless you Louise and Dilu :)

I haven't decide my brand name yet but
I'm using this name for the next bear convention,
* Honey Castle *. Me and my friend Takeko will
be sharing the table(booth) at the convention so
this name is for both of us.(we were not allowed to
used separate name...) How ever I like to get my own brand name for future, so I came up with this name.
*Kiprie Bears*. Kiprie is the name I made up.
Ki... from my husband name Akito(I just used middle)
P....for Promenade (the word me and my husband likes)
rie...from my name Marie.(I used end part only)

I asked my American friend(14years old girl) what
she think of this name. Then she said,
Kiprie sounds like *HOT SUMMER*. :rolleyes:

Is this good name you think ? or hard to remember?
I would love to have something sweet and warm, or
funny name.

Hugs/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oooh, Marie . . . I like the name Kiprie because it sounds like Capri, the name of a tropical island.  What could be more sweet and warm than that??!!  Unless it's a bear, of course! bear_grin  I say go for it!  Actually, Capri is part of Italy.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Thank you Sue-Ann!

If this sounds like a tropical island,
I would love to use this name !!!! bear_laugh
Yes, I will go ahead and use this name as
MINE bear_laugh

merci, grazie ,danke, a-ri-ga-to!!!
Bear Hugs/Marie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Back Road Bears are exactly that...... Bears made on the Back Roads of New Hampshire! OK, not ON the road as I do live in a house a couple hundred feet back from the road but you know what I mean! :)

My husband actually came up with the name long before I met him as a name for a photography business he wanted to start up (never did!). It was "Back Road Designs". Although living in another place then, he still resided in the back roads of New Hampshire.

I spent weeks trying to come up with an original name for my business but nothing else fit quite like his basic idea. So, I begged on hand and knee for his permission to use that name. Like he'd say no!? HA!

I, too, have registered my business name so no one else can use it.

One thing though - when I say the name of my business to people I have to be careful to announciate otherwise folks think I've said "Backwards Bears"! bear_grin:lol::lol: Sometimes that would be a more suitable name!! :rolleyes:

Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Past Time Bears has multiple meanings.  My teddies have some basic traditional features like the old bears from a "past time".  When I started making bears, it became a "pastime" after I retired from my real job.  And as I became more and more passionate about creating bears, I would frequently work way "past time" for me to go to bed at night.  So, it felt natural to call my teds "Past Time Bears".  I have a little saying that I print on all my hangtags that goes as follows: 

"These warm-fuzzy companions are for the young, the young-at-heart, and all in between.  When the hectic pace of today threatens your peace of mind, this bear will be a comforting reminder of a more serene past time."

Tofield Alberta Canada

Thank you guys. Marie I love the name Kiprie. It sounds very eligant. It has a clean note to it and I think it would be great.

Daphne, I have always loved your name. Back Road Bears is perfect becuase that is exactly where one would expect to find a bear (the real kind). Now that you have explained the meaning behind it it is even better. Wonderful name.

Sue Ann, Past Time bears reminds me of days of old. I always think of younger days, when I hear you business name. I love it.

Dilu, Golly and The Three Bears is just so adorable. It very much says that you are a sweet and giving person just like your bears and gollies. I also love the name Dilu, it has the essence of a woman with strength, courage and most of all a heart of GOLD!

Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Doodlebears came from two places. When I was a small child I was always drawing. I would draw all day every day if I could. I filled so many drawing books that my parents could not always afford new books for me all the time so I would draw anywhere there was spare paper, even in the blank edges of a newspaper. I went on to win a scholarship to an art college where I was in seventh heaven! I would doodle away my days (get it?) When I had my third son, David, I nick named him Dady-doodles, so the doodles reemerged. When I am making the designs for my bears I always make a doodle drawing of what I hope the bear to look like. As you can see doodles everywhere, so when it came to finding a name to sell my bears under Doodlebears was the most obvious.
I am loving to read all the stories about you bear names and Louise you are a real inspiration to us all...may I never moan again!
Marie I love the name Kiprie Bears sounds really good and it is so personal to you.

Jane.

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Well Girls I,m afraid I do not have any exciting stories. But I did always think that bears were really wise and basically thats how Wisdom Bears  came about really. Hugs Rita xxxx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

These are really wonderful stories! :D

I'm still working on mine, but leaning toward Baird'sBears. It's my name, of course, but I like the way Baird and Bear sound alike.

Besides, I can't tell you how many times I've been addressed as "Mrs. Bear" bear_ermm 

I'm also sketching my own logo, as time permits, but of course the family has lots of opinions and suggestions for better ideas . . . :(

Louise, you're amazing, inspiring, wonderful! I've got a student with MS, and I've never met such a determined student. She rests when she has to, but she's giving 200% the rest of the time.

Rita, Luv, how are you feeling? Give us an update!

Eileen

Tofield Alberta Canada

Eileen I love the sound "Baird's Bears" (You fellow Canadian YOU!). It has a very nice ring to it. It is simple and yet is a name easily remembered. Good name!!

Rita, I think you are pretty wise and I think your bears look and take after your nature my Dear.

Jane the name Doodle Bears is so cute. It is always nice to know the story behind the name.

Hugs Louise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Louise :D

Actually, I'm an American, but I've been here for 27 years. Must be the water . . .?

Eileen

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

When my mother started up her bear business, we thought long and hard about a name.  We came up with some wonderful, clever bear-themed names.  Then I researched them... and found that every single one was already taken.  This is what happens when you come into the industry 20 years late bear_laugh  Eventually, I just started crunching words together from her various interests and background to find something unique.  I think the final vote came down to Piccadilly Paws (she's English) and Canna Bear Paint (she gardens - canna lilies are a flower, she also paints traditionally).  We figured nobody in the US would figure out how to spell Piccadilly (I'm not even sure if I'm spelling it correctly), so... Canna Bear Paint it was.  And yes, eventually she has plans to answer the question of 'Can a bear paint?' with a bear working on a real painting to go together as a vignette.  Some day!  Anyway, right now I am working with her under the same business name.  If I ever decide to branch off in the future, I'll have absolutely NO idea what to do about a name.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Kelly

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh Louise, You would never know by looking at your work that you have difficultly using your left hand.  You are blessed with your bears. They are really beautiful!!!  Aren't bears wonderful therapy!!!!?

Well, if I used my childhood nickname my business would be called "Judi Poodie Bears"  I used to HATE that nickname Judi-poodie.  Now that is what my husband calls me,.....and I kinda like it.

My biz name is Luxembears because I live in Luxemburg Wisconsin and artist bears are kind of a luxury item too.  So it seemed to fit .  I used to be Teddy Bear Picnic.

I am really enjoying reading your stories.

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Judi,  What a lovely way to have got your name.  Have a great holiday and we'll hear from you soon.   Hugs Rita xxx

Eileen, louise and all, I have had 2 good days then 2 really bad days but my personal nurse Dilu has said that is how it goes, but I am not very good at doing nothing I,m afraid , but I have been ever so good and doing what the doctors have told me. Thank-you all once again for all your kind enquiries. Teddy-Talk has kept me sane for the last week,as at least I don't feel guilty reading and not working. he he.  Speak Soon. Love Rita xxxxxx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Rita, keep on keeping on . . . Dilu will give you great care!! 

Louise, you are one courageous lady!  I admire your determination to keep going in spite of your disability.  What a model for us who get discouraged easily by lesser demons! bear_original bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hang in Rita Girl :D

It takes a while to even start feeling better, but if you're being a good girl (listening to Dilu) you'll definitely get there faster!!

Eileen

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Louise

Great topic, it's fun reading about how we all came to be called what we are!!

My story goes like this:

My maiden name is 'Davis' and my married name is 'Tedd', wow how bizarre is that:o
I kept my maiden name and so my surname is Davis-Tedd, so I'm called 'Davis-Tedds'

Very handy!!

Let's hear some more.........

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Marie, I love the name, and it is easy and whimsicle, and of course I have a song to go with it

It was on the Isle of Capri that I found her
Beneath the shade of the old garbage can
I can still see the flies buzzing 'round her
as she waits for her old garbage man!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

I do not know where all these ditties come from..... bear_ermm does it say something about how my brain works-  if it does keep it a secret.....:D

Kiprie is a wonderful name and I think it also fits your whimsicle personality too.  Plus now that we all have it in our minds, and will be looking for this name at shows and in mags you can't change it! :D:D

Cakewalk reations came along because if it hadn't been for Claude Debussey's piano piece I might never have met and falen in love with Gollys and bears go with gollys and I love both.....ergo....

Plus I actually was in a cakewalk once in 6th grade, and won the cake!  But my momn threw it out because she didn't know who made it and didn't trust that it was made in as clean a kitchen by people who have as anally clean a kitchen as she did.

I think I would probably do the same thing now.....after Microbiology one can become quite paranoid about bacteria and viruses

Also I think she didn't want me to eat chocolate cake because.....

Any way onward and upward!

Dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Rita,  hang in there.. I wishing you everyday that you will get well as
you were before :)

Dilu, thank you for the Capri Island
song ! You make me want to go
there now...hmmmmmm Italy....
he he he

Hugs/Marie

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Heres Marie and the Kiprie Bears,
Poor Shanty thinks 'nobody cares',
But 'Hey shanty with eyes so blue',
We at Teddy Talk all love you!

Can't you tell I only got a C in O level English!

I used to have a bear shop called Berry Browns. There was someone in the phone book called Mr Berry- Brown. Seemed a good name at the time. I now use Pandy Potter. My dad used to call it me when I was little. My name is Mandy, we live in Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries-Wedgewood, Royal Doulton etc. are made here) and my first ted was a panda.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Thank you for cute song Amanda!!
Shanty is happy to hear her original song,  I and her will sing this song together. he he :lol:

♪Yo, Amanda and the Pandy Potter,
cute little cubs and the panda honey,
everyone said
"We Love you !"
caz Amanda bear is beautiful bears♪

Hmmmmmm.......can you song this with rap tempo ? ??
Song by MARINEM. (not EMINEM)

Bear Hugs/Marie

Board footer