Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0036.JPGHi. This problem is driving me crazy. I use a canon powershot a75 and am comfortable with macro and the editing etc. My problem is I just can't seem to get the colours true. I don't use a flash and I have tried in many light conditions. Do I need to use a light tent? I have light bulb settings on my camera as well as white balance. Any opinions on if the light tent would improve colours would be appreciated.
Bruno is an example. In real life he is a lot more chestnut brown coloured, but thats about as close as I could get.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This is an amateur talking here, but a dark bear against a very light background tends to make the bear look darker . . . I've had that problem myself!  What I do is use a medium color for the background when taking photos of dark bears.  I have a light blue piece of fabric that I usually use in that situation.  I don't have a light tent and take all my photos outside in natural light, so can't tell you if it would help or not - but I suspect it would prevent the problem.  Shelli and those who have experience with the tent could fill you in on that.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sue Ann is dead on in recommending a mid-tone background with dark bear photography and, in fact, I said this same thing in my recent Bears N Buds article on photography.  Dark bears are tricky to photograph well!

For light and mid color bears, a contrasting backdrop works just fine. 

But for very dark bears, you should actually go with a midtone backdrop, in the same general tonal range as your bear, rather than something starkly contrasting.  That's because your camera will tend to over-lighten the light and over-darken the dark parts of a photo like the one you've posted, above, leaving you with a muddy bear that has indistinguishable features.

I think a light tent could help you since it bounces light around in a very pleasing way, and tends to get you illumination in areas you otherwise might not.  Don't use a flash to remedy this problem, or you'll just get harsh shadows and a "flattened" look.

Also, do be sure to set your White Balance to correspond to each and every photo session. 

You can also simply use handheld lights (even flashlights sometimes work!) and/or a large sheet or white foamcore or poster board, to direct light precisely where it's needed.  In the photo above, I'd predict that your light source is coming from above, thus there is very little light coming from front or from below, aimed at the chin, which is totally lost in shadow.

1)  Pick a midtone background.  As Sue Ann suggested, blue is always safe; Bear Paths (www.bearpaths.com) always shoots against mid royal blue and the results, for ANY color bear, and outstanding; Diane really knows her photography!

2)  Place your bear pleasingly.

3)  Throw LOTS of light on the bear, with or without a light tent.  To illustrate what I mean by LOTS... I use 14 flourescent tube lights (two overhead, six per side) PLUS a shop light AND a halogen light AND the closet overhead light, to shoot my photos. 

4)  Set your White Balance for your photo shoot by simply placing a piece of white paper or fabric in front of your bear and then clicking the appropriate button on your camera to set.  Easy cheesy, and I'll bet you'll see immediate good results after this step.

If all else fails you can adjust using your photo editor.  I usually make photo adjustments in this order (these are PhotoShop commands but other programs will have similar ones):

-- Curves
-- Levels
-- Brightness/Contrast
-- Hue/Saturation

Good luck!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow Amanda!  you're speaking Greek to me but

BUT

Oh good GOLLY!!!  Your little guy jumped out at me, spooky fabulous realistic eyes!  The kind of eyes that follow you around a room!

Awesome!

I am so impressed!

Dillllylu bear_laugh:D

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good point, Miss Dilu.  I should have said the same as my first impression on seeing this little cute was, 'Wowie Zowie!'

Great work, Amanda!!! bear_happy;);)

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks Shelli and Sue Ann. I had not given much thought on how the background would bounce light. I am going to do a light tent, it can't make things worse, only better. I also have manual exposure and am going to get my brain around that. I think if I try to improve my camera knowledge one step at a time it won't be so daunting.

Thanks Dilu. Bruno has doll eyes and needlefelted lids. My husband used to say he felt odd everytime he glimpsed Bruno as he seemed to be watching him! He is going to a lady in Belgium soon. Loved the new Gollies by the way. My husbands only childhood toy is Golly. Hurray for a bear's best friend!

P.S. What a fabulous link (see Shelli's post). Not only loads of lovely bears, but... you're right nearly everyone is against a mid blue background! What a eureka moment. Thanks everyone.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Amanda! 
Bruno is tooooooooooo fabulous :cool:

Sue Ann & Shelli, thank you for your great support for us !
I am not good for photo too bear_sad this is really good topic and  great answers !!

Hugs/Marie

Board footer