Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi.  What is every one doing this evening?

I should be Ballroom dancing with Mark but I still have pain in my ribs from coughing....even though I am much better.  We have not been dancing for a month now.  We never miss this much but it cannot be helped.   Next Friday for sure!

SOOOO, My kids are at my mom's for the night......it is sooo quiet here...aaahhhhh...and I will be working on bears this evening..after I tear myself away from this computer! bear_whistle

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Hi Judi!

I'm just finishing up my day at work...45 minutes to go.  bear_original I will probably work on a bear a bit tonight after dinner. I'm making him with some old short dense mohair that my mom gave me a few years ago. I wonder how old it is! Anyway, it's not as easy to work with as today's mohairs, I'm finding.  bear_sad

Nothing else special going on tonight. Maybe someone else is doing something fun.

Hope your ribs heal soon; I'm very glad you're on the mend! :hug:

Debora

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Hi Judi,
If I knew how to do ball room dancing, I would wish I was doing that too...but I have seen pics of you 2 dancing and it's breathtaking. I sure understand the rib thing. I hurt my ribs...well quite a while ago...and they are still rather sensitive...have to be very careful what I do/lift etc. I know a coughing spell can undo what healing has happened. 

I have a show tomorrow...with baskets & a premier of my needle felted kritters...so I am trying to just veg ...I am as prepared as I can be...

Ohhh enjoy the quiet!
Hugs,

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Debora, what a fun advebnture working with an "old" mohair.  Make sure you share some pics with us when you're done.

Charlotte, where is the show you are doing?  Have you done many?  Best of luck to you!!!  I am sure you'll do well. bear_thumb  bear_thumb ..oh and thank you very much for the nice compliment.  Dancing is a wonderful way for my hubby and I to stay connected and to have loads of fun...and it keeps me in shape.....since sewing bears does no generate much excercise! bear_wacko

Well, I'm off to sew like a good girl

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Just making bears until my hubby gets home bear_original  Nuttin fancy LOL - I am the most boring 25 year old!  :crackup: (I did all the fun stuff when I was younger and it doesnt interest me to drink anymore bear_whistle )

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Judi, last night was Friday night for me.
I spent most of it alone ('cept for the dog and bears) in front of the fire, sewing bears with the occasional trip to TT.
Pretty ordinary evening, but Glenn's in the hospitality industry so he works some funny shifts.
Now tonight will be different ... I'll probably spend it with Glenn in front of the fire, sewing bears with the occasional trip to TT. bear_grin

Big :hug:
Sandi

Website

Have fun at your show, Charlotte! Hope it goes very well.  bear_flower

I'll be sure to share pictures of this bear with you all when he's done. I have been trying some new things with the pattern I use most often--making the paw pads thinner and using short (~.25-inch), dense mohair on an 11.5-inch bear. Gosh, maybe I shouldn't have promised to show pictures...I sure hope he turns out OK!  bear_whistle

Ballroom dancing is so lovely. My husband and I took lessons when we were dating, but it has been years since then. I'm happy watching you skilled dancers!  bear_smile

Debora

Website

Kim and Sandi--you two sound like me! I just love to be home with my hubby.  bear_grin  bear_wub

Deb

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

The show tomorrow is in Las Vegas...not the big glitzy place...the one just up the road...Las Vegas, New Mexico...a very old quaint NM town...It's called "Las Vegas Celebrates the Arts 2006. I have no idea how it will go...this is the first time I have done it. I normally do 1 really BIG show per year, which is a local art tour...but our baskets have quite a following now. It is called Artesanos del Valle & draws a lot of great folks.
Here is a link http://www.artesanosdelvalle.com/
Happy Friday/Saturday all
Hugs,

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Well, I'm  tooling through TT just before heading off to bed.....zzzzzz......that's about as boring as it gets.  :crackup:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

It's Saturday morning here, and I am in go slow mode.
I am full of cold AGAIN!!!!
So I have been working on my Template for ebay that Amilea created for me.
I have three bears on the go, just need to put them all together.
Think i will stay in front of the heater today and just slack off.
But then again........... so much to do

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Debora said:

I'm making him with some old short dense mohair that my mom gave me a few years ago. I wonder how old it is! Anyway, it's not as easy to work with as today's mohairs, I'm finding

Debora, I bet the mohair you are using is actually upholstery mohair from years ago - I've got some and it sounds just like what you are using and I also found it really hard to work with but it did make up into a nice bear when I was done. The backing is thicker and stiffer, and frayed more, than the mohair we use now, and that was what made it more difficult to sew. I'm sure your bear will be adorable!

Bear hugs, Edie

Website

Edie said:
Debora, I bet the mohair you are using is actually upholstery mohair from years ago - I've got some and it sounds just like what you are using and I also found it really hard to work with but it did make up into a nice bear when I was done. The backing is thicker and stiffer, and frayed more, than the mohair we use now, and that was what made it more difficult to sew. I'm sure your bear will be adorable!

Edie, that's exactly it! It must be upholstery mohair. The backing is thicker and stiffer, and it frays more. I painted a mixture of Elmer's glue and water on the edges, but when I turn the pieces, well, let's just say it doesn't behave.  bear_ermm I'm also finding that my machine is having trouble getting all the stitching tight in some of the curves. I do hope you're right about the bear turning out well...I haven't even sewn the head yet, and that's the toughest part for me.  bear_wacko Thanks for your vote of confidence, though!  :hug:

I thought we would stay home this evening, but we ended up going to Red Robin for dinner. And then...we had a chocolate shake.  bear_whistle Red Robin has the BEST chocolate shakes. So now it's almost 9:30 here, and I need to get downstairs and see if I can fit in a little bit of work on the aforementioned bear...

Debora

Website

Oh, hey, Charlotte--I know where Las Vegas, New Mexico, is! We live north of there in Colorado Springs. We drove up !-25 through New Mexico when we moved here from the Seattle area...took a route down the coast, stopped in Southern California to visit our families, and then drove across Arizona and New Mexico on our way here. Hope you have a fun show!

Debora

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

HI All,
It is now 4:30 in OZ and starting to get cold. Today I went with my beautiful daughter to Spotlight as she wanted to get some material for a party she is having next week. The theme is Austan Powers so she is going to make a groovy black and white mini. It is an outdoor party for her 20 birthday with all her friends, that will be interesting as we have been having frosts and something like -7 the other morning. I can't see me staying for the long haul, been there done that. Nice warm jimmy jams and a hot cuppa sounds like a plan...
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Well I've just read all your posts and it's 8.10am Saturday. Last night I spent sitting in a chair feeling sorry for myself...I have the same problem as Judi...I have been feeling a bit rough all week, coughing so hard that my ribs now feel as if they are broken. I have some medication  but it doesn't help a great deal. This morning I'm hoping to be able to photograph a bear and a chimp which I've made for a competition. It's quite warm already so it looks as if the weather forecast of 27 degrees will be right. I plan to work on a couple of nine inch bears later, coughing permitting.

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm boring and like to stay home and be a hermit (I think Kim Basta used that term and I'm stealing it).

I watched Nanny McPhee last night with Colin Firth and Emma Thompson...very cute movie.  I may need to buy it bear_original  I love kid movies.  Although it was very predictable it was still a cute movie in my opinion.

I also am working on a new bear pattern because although I like my bears...I don't love them.  I want to love them...so I'm starting from scratch!!

Hugs...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
shantell wrote:

I also am working on a new bear pattern because although I like my bears...I don't love them.  I want to love them...so I'm starting from scratch!!

Hugs...

Me too Shantell.  I drew up a new bear design night beofre last and have him almost sewn up...then I thought of another idea which I will be drawing up as soon as I get off this computer today.   I am working on my "ultimate" bear right now and am very excited about him.  My head has been spinning with details. 

Sounds like you all had a peacefull Friday night.  I watched Brother Bear and then the History Channel  and just sewed sewed sewed.

Jane I am sorry to hear you are coughing so much.  Two rounds of differnet antibiotics still did not work for me either.  Just Advair inhaled powered steriods and ice.  Try icing your ribs.  That helped me the most.

Hey guys...94 degrees here in cheese town....!!!! and humid.... I think I'll stay indoors today.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I tend to be a wee agoraphobic....

too many people=too much stimuli and I can start to get a little freaked

so I keep my stress level down way down, so that I don't have any flight or fight type panic attacks....

Sometimes even the tv is too much.....

I am in bed early so that I get that beauty sleep before the hubs decides to wake everyone up! Usually about 5 am.  I read so that he can have computer time....

Most would think this a very boring life.....but I.m happy

bear_grin

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hey sis, glad you are feeling better you will be back in those dancin shoes before you know it.
I'm working on my summer swap bear bear_original

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Sorry to hear that you have not been well Judi and Jane - hope that you are feeling much better so that
you can go out dancing and you can do your photoshoot of your competition Bear, Jane. Good luck with that.

It is Sunday afternoon here and it has been cold and wet,
My husband and I have been painting  our bedroom and the smell of the paint is a bit much.
Last night we had to sleep with some of the windows open and needed to put on some more blankets.

I am off to do some ironing now and finish getting the dinner going.

I hope that everyone is have a lovely weekend.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer