Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I just love calls like these:  "Mom, I got hurt.  I need to go to the doctor."  That's what he said when I picked up.....no hello or nothing....just this.  Talk about scaring his poor mother! bear_cry   All the worst ran through my head at that moment!  Nathan is okay though, thank the Lord.  He wrecked his bike again.....second time in less than a month!  bear_shocked bear_wacko   Last time he had a severe sprain to his wrist and wore a splint for a couple of weeks.  He just got it off last week in fact.  This time, he managed to hit his jaw on the handlebars on the way down.  Pretty hard, too!  We went to have it checked, and no fractures are evident in the x-rays.  Diagnosis:  severe contusion. bear_sad   Poor kid....it hurts pretty bad and he's starting to look a bit like a chipmunk.  AND...he is supposed to leave for camp early in the morning.  We are getting him packed, but he just might be delayed a day or two getting there.  Depends on how he feels in the morning.......I'm thinking he going to be a hurtin' unit. 

Possible solutions:  Ban Nathan from bikes......forever!! bear_grin
                            Lock him in a padded room until he's 18!! bear_whistle

Oh, boy, the doctor's office is going to think I'm beating on him bear_ermm ...........I asked him to please take a break from maiming himself.......at least for a while!! bear_whistle  bear_grin

:hug:
Tracy, mother of Nathan, A.K.A. Super Clutz

K Pawz Guest

OMG Tracy....you poor mom.......the things they put us through eh?????

Hugs,
Krista

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I bet the floor just dropped away when you heard that phonecall...  bear_shocked   Is Nathan around 12 years old by any chance?  My brother went through a super klutz phase at around 12....must've been a growing spurt or something because he knew how to ride a bike, but at around 12 he had some of the worst bicycle accidents... gimped around for quite awhile and bent the front fork on one of his ten speeds...and finally got fed up with the bike long enough to get healed properly!

If you can get some arnica montana tablets (homeopathic tabs from the natural foods stores, or sometimes in the bulk/natural foods sections of larger grocery stores)  Give him 4 tablets to start with 3 or 4 times over the next couple of days, it will help to bring the bruising back down, and remove some of the pain.  It won't interfer with any pain meds, and certainly won't make him feel loopy or anything.  It works best taken immediately after the accident....or before if you know your'e going to be injured...like dental work  bear_ermm   We have it on hand for first aid for ourselves and our critters.  Works a treat, and has eliminated a lot of pain and bruising.

Sure hope he gets to feeling better so he can enjoy his camp  bear_thumb

Iowa
Website

Thanks Krista!!  I need some sympathy tonight! bear_grin  bear_grin

Erin wrote:

I think they'd lock you up if you put him in a padded room. I say give him training wheels! Then he'll NEVER want to ride his bike!

Oh please, please......lock me in my room........at least for a while!!  Sounds like a vacation!! :crackup:  :crackup:  Love the training wheels idea.....I'm gonna go threaten him with that one right now! :crackup:

Iowa
Website

Hi Debbie!  YES!!  He is 12......turned 12 in April.  Hmmm......and he is in the middle of a good growth spurt right now.  I can't believe how much he's shot up so quickly!!  That just might explain what's been going on here........

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the homeopathic tabs.  I will have to check those out.....won't have a chance before he leaves for camp though, so ibuprofen and ice packs is it this time!

:hug:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ouch ooch..poor Mom...Nathan will heal much faster from this than you will...just the nature of the beast...but  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: for all. Our son is now 30+ & I remember all those times...but then there was the time his wife called to tell us he had fallen off a ladder at work...and was on his way to a hospital & she was on her way there also..to be with him....and they live 1200 miles away....hmmmmm guess ya don't need to hear this...sorry...but the bigger they get...the bigger the get.
Very Glad everyone is ok!!!
Send Nathan off to camp with a protective bubble:)
Hugs,

Iowa
Website

Charlotte--So what you're telling me is that this never gets better really?  bear_wacko   bear_happy   Boys get bigger, and have bigger mishaps. bear_ermm   I know I'll never stop worrying about my boys.......no matter how big they get!!  Hope your son was okay after that one.  Thanks Charlotte! :hug:

Nathan has left for camp this morning! :dance:  :dance: He was hurting some, but it was manageable.  Not enough to keep him home.  I imagine if he was going to school instead that jaw would have been killing him instead!! bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I didn't send him in a plastic bubble, although I was tempted.  Keeping fingers and toes crossed he makes it home without hurting himself AGAIN!!  I did tell him last night I was putting training wheels on his bike. bear_whistle  bear_grin   He believed me for just a few seconds.  Long enough for that look of total horror to cross his face before he said, "Yeah, whatever Mom."  ........that was fun!! :crackup:  :crackup: :crackup:  Thanks for the idea Erin! :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:crackup: I can imagine his expression!!!  :crackup:

So glad to hear he could still manage to make it to camp  bear_thumb   I'm sure with all the fun, he'll soon forget about how much his jaw hurts...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh dear!  Poor Tracy    d010.gif

I'm with Charlotte-it doesn't get better right away.

b006g.gif       He's a boy

He is invinvible         

b008.gif   He is imortal

He doesn't have a clue!

h020.gif

It will improve after he's older-hang in there... a040.gif ..most of us survive puberty....Our kid's puberty that is...

c040.gif

d

i

l

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Glad to hear he is ok, but I bet he will be sore in the morning :(
Somtimes it takes a day or two.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh Tracy - your poor Mum.
Sorry to hear about Nathan and his mishap and hope that he is feeling much better and  that he
will have an enjoyable time at camp.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Or Tracy, you must be scared...poor mom.  bear_cry
I really glad that your son is ok...
I hope Nathan will drive little more carefully in his bike.  :pray:

Board footer