Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Hi Everyone~
My 18 year old daughter,Kellisa, is in the hospital again. She has pneumonia again...since she has Cystic Fibrosis she has been though this before. She hates the hospital. Last time she was in they made so many mistakes that she almost died so she is terrified of going back to the hospital.

Please send her good wishes and prayers, I will print them out and bring to her.

Thanks so much~
Kathy Myers

I updated how Kellisa was doing today (Fri 06/30)...oh wow, I just realized that tomorrow is my 28th wedding anniversay...yikes, that's a long time! Anyway, Kellisa's progress report is on the 2nd page.
Thanks to everyone!!!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oh Kathy,

I will make a little prayer for your daughter.  I've been through Pneumonia with my 5 year old little girl, so I know how scary and hard it can be.  Best wishes to both of you and I hope your daughter gets better really soon!!

Kimberly W.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

AWWWW god bless you Kathy and kellisa, prayers and best wishes coming your way....

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oh poor girl! bear_cry Tons of prayers and Get Well Soon wishes coming her way. And lots of hugs too!! 
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Kathy,

I am so sorry.  As an RN I understand what your lives have been like all these years, and am certain, (because of her age now) that your daughter's dear parents have been exemplary in their care of her and in the teaching that accompanied that care.

Cystic Fibrosis, for our Talkers who don't know) is a rather horrendous disease processs where the lungs become unable to move air in and out properly.  Because of this debris and fluid can pool in the lower lobes of the lung and thus block off oxygen transfer between the lungs and blood cells.  It is a condition that renders the sufferer so exhausted from just trying to breathe that the child is unable to adequately cough up the mucous and clear the air ways.

Many hours are spent, by dedicated family, percussing the back and sides of the child.  It is kind of like pounding but you do it with cupped hands so that it sends waves through the chest wall and actually help break up the mucus so the child can cough it out...it is such a crucial treatment for a child with CF in order to simply breathe.

There have been medicinal changes in the treatment that help amazingly well and there are hand held percussers.  However I have had patients tell me the hand held electronic percussers don't work as well as the human touch.

It used to be that children with this heartbreaking condition did not live very long.  It is so difficult to regulate the process and everyone in the family has to be on board to help keep the environment stable and safe for the child.  Even coming home from a dinner out where people were smoking can set up spasms, the child can be so susceptible to smells and other environmental factors that impact breathing.

Most of us do not appreciate the simple act of breathing as much as the families of CF children.  Nor can we comprehend the utter helplessness and heartache that parents go through when their children are unable to breathe. 

I am so thankful that your daughter lives now, and not 30 years ago, that she can benefit from modern medical treatments.

I will, most assuredly keep your precious Kellisa in my thoughts, heart and prayers.  I'm big on praying-I truly belive it helps.  But also you, dear Kathy, because no matter how many times you have been through it there is still the fear and worry and concern.

many hugs

dilu

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Kellisa, I will be praying for you (and you too, Kathy!)!  :hug:  Be sure to rest and eat healthy things...I hear hospital food can be so icky and bad for you. You are such a troooper, and your mom is so proud of you. She told me that you graduated from high school this year; I remember meeting you way back when you were probably about 8 or 9 at bear shows with your mom.

Big bear hugs to you!!
Debora

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Kelisha - I hope your soon sitting and as we say in the UK - taking the lightly boiled egg and the toast soldiers.

Just think- you'll be able to catch up on you reading when you feel a little better - I always find reading a good escape and a refuge.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Poor baby.  Lots of healing thoughts coming her (your) way, Kathy.

:hug:  bear_flower

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: Fingers crossed and best wishes that she be out soooooooon!!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Get better soon Kellisa!!!!!!  My thought and prayers are with you and Mom!

:pray:  :hug:  :pray:  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Kellisa, Sending you healing energy & thoughts for a speedy recovery. Hope you are home very soon!!!
Kathy, Wishing you extra strength to get thru this with your daughter.
:pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:
Hugs,

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

My friends grandson has this and he is only two. He caught a cold recently and you will know what that means. He pulled through and at least it builds his immune system up a little. Take care.  :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh Kathy, send her all my good wishes, my prayers and my love, I hope she has a speedy recovery.   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Lots of prayers and huge teddy bear hugs are coming your way!
HUGS
Sonya

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

My prayers are with you.  God is always in control.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'll be sending all my good enery your way Kellisa, that's sure to work!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Oh, Kellisa! how horrible this must be to have such difficulties to breathe!
i will keep you in my thoughts and I do hope you won't have to stay too long at the hospital and that you will get better soon!
I send you a mountain of hugs!

Kathy, you are so brave and i am sure you are a wonderful caring mom!Beary hugs,
Sophie.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Warm wishes coming your way!!!!! :pray:  :pray:

Jenny

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Best wishes and good vibes heading your way, Kellisa and Kathy . . . I hope this hospital stay is brief and that you will be much stronger when you get back home.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Kathy and Kellisa,
Wishing you both all the best at this difficult time and hoping things improve quickly.
:hug:
Cheers Susan

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Kellisa my thoughts and prayers are with you ...... get well soon :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Happy thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Warmest bear hugs too!   :hug:
Aleta

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Kathy and Kelissa please take comfort in knowing that everyone here wishes the best for a speedy recovery.   Hugs and prayers coming to both of you at this tough time.   Take care !

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Kathy and Kellisa,

You're in my thoughts and prayers.  Sending many big bear hugs your way.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

My thoughts are with you both Kathy and Kelissa, and my prayers for a speedy recovery.
:hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:  :hug:  :pray:

Board footer