Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I had an eye appointment today and since my eye doctor is at a teaching university often there are "fellowship" doctors there who sit in on my exams.  This morning this very sweet "fellow" took me to MY exam room (I almost always have the same room...I need my name on the door!!) and was going over my HUGE file.  They have started computerizing everything so any appointments I've had since February are now on the computer.  She pulls up my "chart" and it's say my age...41.  The "fellow" says "oh, this must be a mistake...Shantell my I ask how old are you?"  I said 41...and she looks at me again and says..."well that's what is says here but I thought it was a mistake...you don't look any older than your late 20's."  I started laughing and said that I hear that all the time....then I told her I have a 22  year old son.   I should have tipped her.

It made my day...although my doctor thinks I'm out to get him because my eye pressure was WAAAAAAY up again...may need to have surgery again...DAMN IT!!!

Hugs,
Shantell

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell,
     Well, I second that because when I saw your picture I assumed you were in your twenties.  When you started talking about grown children, I was stunned!  I find it hard to believe you are 41.

I'm so sorry you are having so many problem with your eyes - do they know what the cause is?  I hope they can fix it without more surgery - I am sending only good thoughts and big hugs!! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Brenda

sarahjane Brisbane

Well I just had to go and have another look at your picture...are you sure that is you???  41 you say...grown children?  I wanna see the right picture..you know the one that looks like you are really 41.!!!  bear_cry

You look much younger than I do and I'm only 38....  bear_cry

Sending you best wishes for your eyes and hopefully you won't need an operation  :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, I thought you were late 20's as well from your TT picture.

in your 40's??  YOU GO GIRL!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

NO NO NO Shantelli 

g045.gif

Awww Honey!  I'm so sorry!

b0010.gif

However you are such a sweetie and I am sure she was right....about the age thing.....If your current piccy in the avatar is recent I have to agree with her....you beautiful babe you!!!

n100.gif

Willamette Valley Oregon

Yup...that's a current picture...took it just for TT last fall.  It's the one I posted originally with my youngest son who everyone thought was my boyfriend.   :crackup:   :crackup:

I look in the mirror and think to myself...can't these people see my wrinkles, worry lines (mommy lines), laugh lines (only get those from years and years of laughing) and GREY hair.    :crackup:

As far as the eyes...it's from having aggressive glaucoma at my age...it's just a pain...if I were in my 70's (like normal glaucoma patients) I'd be fine.  bear_original bear_original  I heal too fast!!!  Who'd a thunk healing too fast would be a problem.  But then who'd a thunk poking myself in the eye (eye massage) twice a day on purpose was a good thing too.   :crackup:   :crackup:

Thanks ladies for thinking I look so young...now if I could just have the body of a not quite 30 year old.   :crackup:   :crackup:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Having met Shantell in person she really does look like she's in her twenties!!   bear_original   She looks even younger than her avatar photo.  It's sickening really.   bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_laugh

Warmest bear hugs,   :hug:
Aleta

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks ladies for thinking I look so young...now if I could just have the body of a not quite 30 year old.

me too!!! I'll have one of those!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Shantell, Isn't it great! ENJOY it! I am also mistaken for being much younger. Peoples mouths drop when they hear I have a 35 year old son. I hope to enjoy it at long as possible!
Hugs
Sonya

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Shantell that is so cute and I don't think you look your age either.  I remember when we all thought your son was your boyfriend lol...Sorry about your eyes hon...my mum has that but hasn't effected her sight yet.

Sonya...a 35 yr old son!  my mouth has dropped lol

Well, I'm the same, all the girls in our family are on the young looking side.  I suppose we are all 5 footers so it kinda makes it worse lol
Shantell I had an experience yesterday too!! After my rheumy appoint the receptionist asked if my next appoint should be after school!  I'm almost 30 and thought that questions like this would have stopped by now!!  Why aren't you at school lol  Kinda embarrassing...but I suppose it covers me in a way too coz I have to travel with my mum everywhere. At least it isn't so embarrassing in that way and it looks like I'm a teenager not a dependant adult which is kinda crushing sometimes.

Anyway...lol, like you girls, at least when I hit my 40's and 50's it will be a wonderful compliment hehe
xo Sarah

Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow Sonya...I would never have guessed you have a son that age.  It is nice to have people think you look young.   I love the new picture you have behind your avatar too!!!

Hugs all!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Enjoy the compliments! Bask in that youthful appearance! Hope that it lasts forever!

When I was 16 people thought I was in college at least (made buying alcohol a cinch... shhhh! Don't tell!) I NEVER got asked for an ID. When I turned 21 people thought I was 30! Then it all came to a screaching hault!!!! When I turned 30 it seemed folks thought I looked younger. That made turning that horrible number a bit more bearable. (Perhaps they were being kind and simply thought I ACTED younger!)

That lasted until about a year ago. Now apparently I look my age as no one is shocked to learn I'm 36. The gray hairs and stress in my eyes has got me all caught up to my right age! Now, if one could see the aches in my joints and how long it takes me to get the old bod moving in the morning they'd think I was 93!  :crackup:

Shantell..... I hope they can get your eyes all straightened out one of these days. Is that possible or will this be an ongoing battle??

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You gals are hysterical.  I've always looked older than my age (developed VERY early, if ya know what I mean), which until I hit 21 or so worked beautifully. 

It doesn't help much that the love of my life is 14 years older than me and significantly greyer; people think I "must" be older than I look because of him (although, I must say, I think he's very well preserved and a lovely specimen of 50+ year old manhood, myself.) ;)

Lately, I have the opposite problem from you, Shantell.  As an extrovert, through and through, I find myself utterly incapable of going through life without having conversations with just about every single person I encounter in a given day.  So, when shopping, I find myself relating funny little stories at check out counters, to whichever victim happens to be listening on the other side.

Now, keep in mind that Chico is a college town (Cal State University Chico calls here, home) and we have a larger-than-normal number of college students standing behind our counters, most of them under 22.

(<--- Shelli logs disclaimer before revealing embarrasing truths.)

Anyway, of late, when I share my fascinating little ditties with the checkout counter folks, the girls behind those counters will laugh, and smile, and say to me, "Oh, my MOM has that issue, too!"

Your mom has that issue????  Wha....????  Huh???  WHAT?????

:crackup:

When I stop and do the math, of course, it become patently obvious that I could, in fact, BE their mother, mathematically.  But somehow I don't FEEL "old enough" -- whatever that feels like -- to have a child in college. Ya know?  Particularly because my own kids are still very much kids; the youngest in elementary school.  I thought that stage would hit once they both got to high school.  Not yet!!!

Anyway... LUCKY YOU, Shantell (you horrid b****.)  bear_original  And you too, Sonya.  I saw your new pic the other day myself and your long hair is lovely.  I would never have pegged you for having a 35 year old son, either.  That's only five years younger than me.

Does that make you MY mom?

bear_whistle  :twisted:  bear_flower

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Oh my Shelli needs a spankin for sayin that! Isn't that what MOM's do??? :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Sonya

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

You all look gorgeous...young on the inside as well as the outside...enjoy it while it lasts.
I'm at the stage I introduce my son as my brother. Who want's to own up to having a forty year old son.....I sure as hell don't!
And I reckon I'd just about sell my soul, for a thirty year old body. bear_grin
Big hugs to all,
Sandi

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

This thread is so funny  bear_laugh  This mothers day there was a commercial for CD's "to make mums day"..they were bands I like!  No way!! bear_shocked  lol.  Since I have no kids it is more of a shock that I am indeed getting older and 'my bands' are now 'oldies bands' lol. 
My sister 24 put on early morning video hits and was ashamed to admit that she didn't know any of them, felt at home when they played an REM flashback and wished the girls would put some clothes on lol
Growing older hehe...not very easy is it.
And why do people in their early 20's look so young now that I'm getting to the end of this decade lol
xo Sarah

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

You girls are sooooo funny!!!    :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Shantell.... do you have the "un cropped" version of your "woman behind the avatar" picture so that you can post it again!?  I would love for everyone to see what we are talking about... you know... the one with your HOT live-in boyfriend... whoops... I mean SON! Oh.... he is REALLY a cutie though!!!!!  And I think your oldest son looks OLDER than YOU!

Sorry to hear that you might need another surgery..... YUCK.  bear_angry  bear_cry

Sonya... your son is 35.... that seems down right impossible to me... are you sure!?  bear_tongue

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

yes ma'am Kim. I have one son 35, one son 33 and a daughter 28,, a granddaughter 12, a grandson  almost 7 and a granddaughter 2.............as well a a few grey hairs.... luckily not too many. My whole family looks young. When my mom passed away at 71, she had not a wrinkle at all. If I should be so lucky.  Of course my Mom always thought no one over 30 should wear jeans and at 40 should have short hair. NOT!!!!
I cut my hair last summer to shoulder length and hated it. So it is long once again
Sonya

Willamette Valley Oregon

Here you go Kim...

Kyle...a about 4 years ago...he looks pretty  much the same...my BIG boy with a baby face.  :)

KyleSrPic2.jpg

Me and my "boyfriend" (my youngest son Taylor and his wild hair...believe it or not...IT'S LONGER NOW!!!...ALOT LONGER!!!)

100_0094A.jpg

And so noone is left out...this is my daughter Erienne (on the left) and my god-daughter Kallie at her graduation a couple weeks ago.  My baby girls are all grown up!!!

KalllieErienne2.jpg

So you see...I am an ol' fart!!!    bear_grin

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Must be the country air! bear_grin
hugs,
Sandi

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
SunnieOne wrote:

yes ma'am Kim. Of course my Mom always thought no one over 30 should wear jeans and at 40 should have short hair. NOT!!!!
Sonya

My grandma says the same thing EVERY time I see her... but for her.. she says the "magic short hair number" is 30!!!!!!!  "And when are YOU going to get your hair cut Kimmy?"  See... she can still call me Kimmy, but she also thinks that I am bucking tradition by wearing my hair past my shoulders!  She was also shocked that I had BARE shoulders and NO GLOVES on my wedding day!  Good thing I love her to pieces!!!!!   bear_wub  bear_smile 

THANK YOU THANK YOU Shantell!!!!!!  See what I am talking about.... !!!!!  All your children are gorgeous!   My oldest, 13, had a main like that of your younger son until a couple weeks ago... he decided to buzz it off!  Frankly, I'm happy about it!  He looked WAY too old with his mop-head!  In fact his bass teacher asked him why he wasn't playing out in bars and stuff... you know, "gigs."  The poor kid had to say, Well, I'm not realy allowed in bars... I'm in Middle School.  His teacher thought he was like 18!  Whoops... with the buzz cut he looks a little more like my Baby again... even if he is starting to tower over me! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Willamette Valley Oregon

Awww...thanks Kim.  I'm kinda smitten with them...they have their moments but then don't all kids.  I was sad when my oldest suddenly was taller than me...now he towers over me at 6'6".  He literally can put his chin on the top of my head...and he thinks it's funny to use some voice from the Southpark cartoon and call me "my little creampuff."  The big goof.

Taylor's mop is out of control.  It's thick, curly and wild.  BUT...it's one of those battles I chose not to fight.  There are too many other influences in the world today I'd rather talk about then his mop of hair.   How he stuffs it all in his football helmet is beyond me!!!

Kids...they make you feel old and young at the same time.  I swear they are getting older and I'm NOT!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell,
    Your kids are all gorgeous.  I agree with you about hair - it's not worth fighting over.  My son was convinced he had large ears and in grade 4, started to want long hair.  He had long hair from then on and I mean long.  Actually he had the hair I always wanted - down to his waist, straight and blonde LOL!  He finally cut it off last July, when he went to Thailand for the summer to go scuba diving.  He shaved it all off and then sent us his picture - we were stunned.  Actually, we didn't recognize him at first.  It looks awesome.  He finally grew up at 32 LOL! 

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My youngest, 10, a skateboard type kid, was working on some seriously long hair the whole last year.  His father practically laid an egg but like you all, I chose not to fight that battle.  Frankly, he looked pretty foxy with it!  But he decided, when school ended, that enough was enough; it's annoying, especially when temps hit the 100's.  Now he's back to his close-cropped self.  For me, it's just wonderful to see his pretty blue eyes again!

Shantell, your kids are all gorgeous, truly.  I hate your daughter.  In that older woman, envy kind of way. bear_happy

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

You kids are gorgeous, Shantell! and so are you! 41? No way! Are you sure someone didn't make a mistake on your birth certificate?? bear_original  You truly don't even look lilke you'v made it to 30 yet. I'm green with envy here.  bear_original  bear_flower

You too Sonya! You ladies look fantastic. What's your secret? Besides good genes? If you could bottle it you'd be rich!

I know it sounds silly, but sometimes I'm a little surprised when I see photos of myself because I don't feel old enough to have wrinkles, though I've certainly earned every one. I still feel young and lively like I'm in my twenties or early thirties. Too bad we can't all look as young as we feel! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Board footer