Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My best friend, Barb, and I have known each other for 28 years.  We both lived with our familes in Deep River (very, very, rural area) for 20 years.  We learned a lot from living in close proximity to black bears, bobcat and lots of other wonderful creatures.  She now lives in Dundas, and their subdivision backs on to the Niagara Escarpment, which is a beautiful area.  She has a neighbour that they visit occasionally in their subdivision, and this neighbour insists on feeding all the local wildlife, from chipmunks, squirrels, skunks, raccoons etc.  Barb has tried to explain that it's not fair to the animals, as they become dependent on the food etc, etc, etc, and this lady will not listen.   Yesterday, they were having tea there, and the lady mentioned that they had a new occupant in the yard, a shy snake that she didn't recognize.  On closer inspection, Barb's husband realized it was a Mississauga Rattler!!!!  It is the only deadly snake we have in Canada and it is both shy and rare, but lives in the area of the Niagara Escarpment.  This lady had a lovely pond in her yard, extensive plants for coverage and for shade and was drawing small mammals by feeding them - no bloody wonder the snake moved in!!  It was looking at free lunch as well.  Thank goodness these people have their house up for sale, and will be moving soon.  Barb will definitely tell the  new occupants about the snakes in the area and lets hope they will be much smarter!  Why is it that some people just don't get it. 

hugs,

Brenda

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I don't worry about feeding the wildlife were I live. If you plant a tree you just fed, rabbits, deer, birds etc.  They are here weather we solicit them or not. I don't put out food for anything, However my garden seems to attract everything.
Plus we have a large population of Mountain lions, last summer there was a huge mountain lion sunning himself on the neighbors haystack. We don't let our cats outside, free lunch there for any of the numerous hawks, fox, coyote etc, not only encouraging the lions.
we have three large dogs, but even that doesn't faxe the deer who regularly feast on my flower beds. Ate all of my tulips this year. !!!!!
Snakes, I almost stepped on one last summer three foot rattler, while picking berries. thats the third one in two years, And yes I had my husband shoot it!!!!
At first I was like no lets just get away from here, and my husband said, " you realize we have to come back this way again to get to the truck" so I said okay "SHOOOT IT, SHHOOOOOOT IIIIITTTTTT!!!
But I get the hint, we don't encourage animals to visit our yard it just brings a multitude of problems.
Kathy

nettie scotland
Website

I have a similar neighbour.If they don't finish their meals they just dump it in the garden for the "birds".The poor rats move in and eat it and a few weeks later they get the exterminators in!!!How thick are they???I have asked them not too as they are just luring vermin in and then giving them a hideous end.I also explained how bread etc can kill baby birds but it falls on deaf ears.My cat now eats most of it bless him???
These people seem to think of themselves as animal lovers too!!!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have so many of my own animals to feed that I couldn't afford to feed the wild ones if I wanted to.  We were camping one summer in Tennessee.  The guy in the site next to ours decided to feed a skunk (even though signs were posted everywhere).  He set out a pan of something and shortly, we were surrounded by skunks.  Now I love skunks.  They are adorable.  But they are not pets.  Needless to say, it was a nervous evening.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kathy, it sounds like you live in a glorious area, even with all the potentially dangerous animals.  We live in a subdivision that back onto a  huge creek, and we have had a deer or two munching our flowers in the back yard.  Our biggest threat is fishers, that are extremely plentiful in our area.  Our cats go out in the day, but not at night.  We also have rabbits and foxes.  I plant our entire back garden with things suited to birds - from several berry bushes to the echinacea and bee balm.  There is nothing like seeing nature in your yard, but "safely"!  I just wish people would be smarter.

Millie, the strange thing is we don't get skunks - we smell them, occasionally, I've just never seen one in the subdivision.

Diane - EEEW rats!  What are these people thinking!! 

Renae,  this couple is daft - my friend has repeatedly explained the "facts of life" about animals and they just won't budge. 
     We rented a cottage two summers ago - the first night there, we had a HERD of raccoons on the porch, faces pushed against the screen.  We ere a little unnerved, and closed the door.  When we talked to the owner, she was thrilled they were still coming to the cottage - she had been cooking spagetti noodles for them every night!!!!!  We couldn't even eat on the deck without one coming up to see what we were eating.   It spoiled our time there.  Stupid people!!

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer