Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey gals

So my poor friend is done her 1 yr maternaty leave ( yes in canada we get a whole year )
And the poor thing really doesn't want to go back to work.

SO I'm trying to think of some idea's for her.

I'm sure you've all seen those 'mystery shopper' jobs advertised, or stuffing envelopes from home.

These all seem pretty sketchy to me, but maybe some of you have tried to do these things. I know in the retail world mystery shopping is very common, so the jobs have to be out there somewhwere.

If you've heard anything, or tried anything, could you please let me know? I would really like to help my friend.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There's always the AVON LADY concept.  But nowadays there are so many permutations of it!  My friend Cara used to sell Dorling/Kindersley books but I think their home sales dept. has gone out of business.  What about SILPADA?  They make fabulous jewelry!  I attended a party and bought too much of it myself.  The gal who does it says it's fairly easy and pretty profitable to boot.  The jewelry sells itself and it's really high quality.  www.silpada.com.

Other ventures of this sort that come immediately to mind:

Tupperware
Mary Kay
Pampered Chef

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_shocked  bear_shocked

A whole year maternity leave!!??

Darren just said, "Let's move to Canada and have a kid!" :crackup:  :crackup:

I wish I could think of something, but I'm pulling a blank right now.  Sorry! :hug:  :hug:

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I was going to be a Mystery Shopper. I took classes and read books. If she is serious then it is easy to get started. There are several Mystery Shopper books that she can buy (good idea because it involves a lot more than you would think). And she can join organizations online to help her find work (just google Mystery Shopper). I did not want to spend so much time traveling so I became a Merchandiser instead...that's another option. As a merchandiser you work for a vendor (like Hallmark Cards) and you just merchandise their product in differents stores. She can also find merchandising jobs on the same websites that have Mystery Shoppers.

Of course, the best option is to start your own homebased business...like being a Teddy Bear Artist. It's the only job that I had while I was homeschooling my daughter. She just graduated and now she is in college.
Hope that helps~Kathy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, those are some really great options. Ones I hadn't thought of.
Thanks!

Tracy........I work for a helpdesk, and we talk to Americans all the time. They want to kill me after hearing we get a whole year. I cant imagine having anything less. Geez, and we even get 100% of our wage for that year.

Sorry to rub it in, but you guys should fight for more time.  I dont even know of a daycare that will take infants under a year.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

The envelope stuffer is a RIP! My brother tried that and got, pardon my french, screwed big time! HMMMM.... Maybe MaryKay, Avon, Pampered Chef, Longaberger (did I spell that right??)

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

YOU GET A YEAR OFF PLUS 100% WAGES!!!????  bear_shocked

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Shelli wrote:

What about SILPADA?  They make fabulous jewelry!  I attended a party and bought too much of it myself.  The gal who does it says it's fairly easy and pretty profitable to boot.  The jewelry sells itself and it's really high quality.  www.silpada.com.

Hi all!
Wow, a year @ 100% wage!  Here they treat having a baby like a disability where you're lucky if you get 12 weeks at 65% pay...it's so sad how little our society values our babies and mothers!!

Shelli mentioned Silpada.
I actually sell Silpada and it's pretty cool.  After getting ill I needed supplemental income and a schedule I could control. Like anything I do I researched it to death and I chose Silpada for several reasons: the quality of the jewelry is 100% top notch (I'm pretty particular about anything I do and represent), the inventory changes only once a year and only select pieces are retired (I don't have to buy spring, summer, fall, winter inventories), I can wear my inventory (bonus for me!! and I'm walking advertising when people comment on it),  my prep time for a show is literally me getting ready for a party and walking out the door with my prepacked kit bags (I don't have to cook, bake, or anything. My inventory is not cumbersome or heavy). And this is what really did it for me...no demonstrations (everyone at the show just walks, talks, sits, eats, socializes...it's a party. No one is stuck in a circle listening to me talk about a product.  I'm pretty comfortable speaking to people, but I could never stand up alone and just talk about something like a QVC host :)).  The money you make is pretty darn nice to boot and the hostess rewards plan is just about the best I've seen.
You have to work it like anything else in life (phone calls, mailings, etc) but people really love the jewelry and the casual party/show atmosphere so it works.

And I don't personally have a team or anything, so I'm not trying to recruit anyone here.  I managed teams in my former corporate life and when I started this I wasn't looking to do that at all! I just wanted to be responsible for me...but if you're into making even more money the team's the way to go.

Have your friend check out the site Shelli listed. www.silpada.com. She can always email me or call me with any questions too, I'm totally cool with that. This is my web site (completely supplied by Silpada) there's a contact me link that goes right to my email:  http://www.mysilpada.com/chrissi.catherwood

~Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods.com

Dilu Posts: 8,574

30 some odd years ago I paid for my son by doing Avon.....it made me walk alot, which is good when one is preggers, and i made enough to pay the whole hospital bill.  It's doable but its not easy-she really will have to work.

g150.gif  g130.gif  u025.gif

Board footer