Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kathleen Pa

hi,
I'm kinda new to bear making and I've noticed alot of you use markers or airbrush shading around the eyes of your bears and it really adds to their personality. I'd like to try it, but don't really know that much about it.  I found a site that sold copic markers with fine and broad tips.  They also sold a colorless blending pen you can use for mistakes.  Does this mean it will remove the marker from the mohair?  Do you shade before you insert the eyes?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to try it but I"m afraid I'm going to ruin the bear bear_cry

Thanks,
Kathleen

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Kathleen
The blending pen simply blends the colours it does not fix your mistakes. The problem with the copic markers if you use the aerosol can with them is that you do not have very much control. If you simply want to just shade with the markers then you will have more control. To practice you could pick up an old teddy at a garage sale and start out with it until you gain more confidence. If you really want to get into air brushing then I recommend Judi Paul's course which you can take online at www.kranbearys.com- Nancy Tillbergs site
Hugs
Gail

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi Kathleen
I recommend you begin with prisma pencils to get a feel for shading.  Especially if you are worried about ruining your bear...you have loads of control as the colour takes longer to build up with pencils.  Then copics are great too, but prehaps experiment on some scrap material first, or a bear you don't prize so much as the colour is very bold straight away.  I have removed copic pen mistakes by using the blening pen.  Simply draw over the bit you want removed and dab with a tissue.  All gone!  i've never used the airbrush devices so can't advise you on that.
I shade before and after I insert the eyes.
Good luck and have fun with it, once you start you won't see a bear as finished without some shading  :dance:

Kathleen Pa

Thanks for the info bear_original  I think I'll try the prismas pencils first.  Can you buy them at an arts and craft store or are they specific for bear making and I should look online?

Kathleen

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Galaxyeye.jpgGalaxyheadTT.jpgKathleen, my advice is to rush in and give it a go with the copics!  Judi recommends working the shades from light to dark and that really does give a beautiful effect.  It's very simple to do - just start of gently and you'll soon build your confidence when you get the feel of the pens.  I use the pens just as they come and prefer the fine end.  I also airbrush sometimes using a generator and an airbrush pen with special liquid inks ... that's a whole other subject though!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

They sell prismas at ACMoore, Michael's pretty much any art store has them... I also recommend prisma colored markers - I think they have a blender as well  bear_thumb

Kathleen Pa

I went to joann fabric this morning and picked up a couple pencils, blending pencil and a marker.
I'm thinking of hitting a garage sale or two to pick up some practice bears.  Thanks for the closeup pics. :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
bear bum wrote:

I went to joann fabric this morning and picked up a couple pencils, blending pencil and a marker.
I'm thinking of hitting a garage sale or two to pick up some practice bears.  Thanks for the closeup pics. :hug:

Cool!  You will have heaps of fun  :dance: 
Another tip I can give you is when you make a bear, always keep a scrap of fun to practice on before you get stuck into the face.  Sometimes the colours are different to what you imagine!
xo Sarah

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I just started with Prisma.  I don't think I would try anything else until I get the feel for it.

Jana Posts: 23

Gail,

The eys on Loonie,  or your Avatar, I believe,..........The grey and black bear,........are those eyes airbrushed or shaded with ink?

I have been looking close at some of the bear photos and trying to decide if some people use another color of fur near the eyes on the muzzle.  I know some are shaded,  but are some people actually using another contrasting piece on the face near the eyes?  Say white on black..............
Just observing

Thanks
Jana

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Jana, the eyes areas can be done both ways.  I've done it with airbrushing or marker shading, and I've inserted different color fur pieces.  I prefer to shave the area and sercurly glue or stiitch  the patch piece on.  Or, you can design it into your head pattern and sew it in.  That way is more complicated of course.

Board footer