Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

THE COMPLETELY CLASSIC CHALLENGE!

Would anyone be interested in a 'completely classic' challenge?

In view of all the wonderful techniques and design styles adorning the TT bears of late, I wondered if it would be a good idea for all of us to go right back to basics and design beautifully proportioned, classically styled teddy bears.

So, with that in mind, this is an ideal challenge for bear makers of all abilities!   

The bears would have the standard five joints, hand embroidered noses and either black (glass or boot button) or amber/black glass eyes. They would have classic teddy bear proportions and no shading.  Paw pads would be wool felt, ultra suede (not perfectly traditional I know, but hard wearing and practical!) or velvet, leather etc with hand stitched claws - no moulded claws!  In true traditional style, the bears can be either completely bare, or adorned with a simple bow. 

The point of the exercise would be to take us all back to basics, focusing our attention on producing unique, no frills, traditional teddy bears with huge HUG appeal!

It will be interesting to see whether these bears all look very 'samey', or whether we still manage to achieve individuality with our design skills when our bears are stripped 'bare' of contemporary embellishments!

I don't know how to go about opening a challenge gallery, so if this is an appropriate challenge, could one of the HA please help us to get it launched!  Thank you!   

DEADLINE: suggestions please!

I've popped this thread in here as someone kindly pointed out that TT is now so big, it might get overlooked in the 'Challenges' forum.  It's in there too ... so if you are interested in taking part, please make your way across!  Thanks!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OOOooo yes!!!! I like this Paula. Brilliant challenge.  I'd say 6-8weeks sounds good. But then , I'm the one still making a wee teeny mouse. bear_grin  bear_grin
Wendy bear_thumb

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Paula this sounds like a lot of fun.  I've recently started to really like the traditional old bear style and have been playing around with a bit of that style.  I'm up for the challenge and think end of summer or early Sept is a good time for me , but I can be flexible !

nettie scotland
Website

I might not be able to join in as I don't do anything fancy anyhow.Ageing is as high tech as I go.I will be interested to watch the results though.
Hugs Diane xxx

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm in....I really like the old traditional bears myself.  I think they have so much character. 

Wonderful suggestion Paula...

Timeline suggestions...whenever!!! Ha

Kent
Website

That's great!  This will be fun!

Diane, you are very welcome to join us if you find the time ... it doesn't matter that your bears are traditional already, this is one for anyone who fancies it!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes!!! Yes!!! Count me in!!
Deadline: Ummm...... December???  :crackup:

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I've been wanting to try to make a small bear with a tradional look, my bears are usually 18-28 inches. Could I do a 5-10 inch bear in the style required?

Kent
Website

Any size is fine Shari - thanks!

LuckyPennyBears Lucky Penny Bears
MA

I'd like to join in, I've been tweedling with the idea of a 20 inch traditional bear for awhile now (have the mohair, have a 90% perfected pattern...I'm still farting around with the gusset). When is the deadline? Could I also do one in my beloved polymer clay? I mostly do sad looking big heads in clay but I'd like to have a go at a traditional...(I'll have my hubby help me post some pictures of my clay bears)...

nettie scotland
Website

Why don't we all pay five dollars per bear entry and the money goes to animals asia for the moon bears.We could make it a  friendly competiton and get a non TT beary person to Judge just for fun.I will happily supple a wee prize!!!
Just a thought since it is near to Christmas.
Hugs Diane xxx

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Paula back to our traditional roots, ooooooooooooo im not sure i like the sound of that im grey now.... :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Count me in too :hug:
LOVE A CHALLENGE.... bear_original
KEEP US POSTED.
LanieX

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Lovely idea. Back to my roots, so to speak. I'll dust the old sewing machine off! bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Great idea Paula and I have been thinking of makig an old fashioned looking bear and even have the fur for it.  Cool!  As long as we have time you can count me it  :dance:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Count me in .... Great one Paula

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I'll give it a go if the deadline can be mid-September.  Before that?  Fuhgetaboudit.  bear_happy  bear_happy  bear_happy  bear_happy

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Trust you Paula!

To post this after I've already posted Rupert... :crackup:
Now, I'll have to start all over again!
Oh wo is me...as if I haven't got enough to do!

Great idea for those who do contempory bears though...sometimes it's a stretch just to do something simple.

Six week deadline is probably enough...you don't want people to loose interest.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Sandi

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Great idea Paula !   bear_flower
I love "classically styled teddy bears."
I'm not sure if I can finish by the
dead line date(when ?) but I would love to try it !!
Can I go for "4inches" classically styled bear ??

I can't wait to see everyone's
bear !!  bear_laugh

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Does this one look like a traditional bear for you?

balou26rc.jpg

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I may try another one, but I have 2 swap bears to make first (not traditionnal). Maybe I will join in August if it's not too late.
I need to prepare small traditionnal bears for my next show...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Kent
Website

Hey, this is great ... it looks like we have the makings of a challenge ladies!  I'm thinking the deadline for completion should be end September.  That should give us enough time and keep us interested too!

Sophie, you bear looks very traditional and Marie, you can make whatever size bear you prefer.  bear_original

Thanks for the suggestion of a competition Diane ... it's a great idea, but on a personal note I'm afraid I won't be able to find time to organise payments and so on, what with selling my house, moving (will have new house in the next few weeks!) and meeting my order book.  I also have to work on a bear for the 'Dare to Care 2006' auction on behalf of 'British Bears on the net', which will take place in the November issue of Teddy Bear Scene and I have a show early September, so as you see, I have quite a lot on right now and may well get in a complete tangle with anything more involved than just making a bear myself!  bear_wacko  bear_grin

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I think too it is better to to pay anything to enter a bear so more people will be able to enter the challenge.
A few people here have to deal with financial problems so better keeping all free, even if animals Asia is a good cause!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Kent
Website

SandraWickenden.jpgtimeless.jpgKarinConrdi.jpgbigtedbiggestbabyframe.jpgteddygirl_ep.jpgSandraWickenden2.jpgHartrickBears.jpgantique-steiff.jpgrochesterandstockport.jpgPADSTOW2.jpg

WildCatDancer wrote:

I have no idea what a traditional bear looks like! I now know what he's made of, but not what he looks like, really. I never had one.

Here's a very small selection of traditional bears, some are vintage, some are artist designed ... there are many more styles, colours, fabric choices ... the list would be endless.  For example, I haven't any examples of American traditional bears here, either vintage or artist and as we know from Diane's latest offerings, they have striking personalities!  I've included Steiff and some early English bears, together with modern interpretations. 

If anyone is interested to see further pics, I can highly recommend Pauline Cockrill's 'The Ultimate Teddy Bear', or her 'The Teddy Bear Encyclopedia'.  Both are beautiful books!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I too would rather this didn't turn into a fund-raising event with an enterance fee. One of the many reasons being that many who'd like to participate might rather that their money went to some other cause then we have a whole round of duking out where the money goes. And everything gets too technical. Also, some may not want their bears officially judged and/or we'd have to go through the process of finding an appropriate person we all agree on to do the judgind and well, now we'd be sucking the fun and freedom of out this challenge!!! I'm really not a negative person. I just know how we are here and given the recent disputes in other threads lately, I think it's in everyone's best interest to keep it simple and fun and not risk excluding anyone or turning them off to the whole idea!!!!

Paula, end of September sounds great to me!

Sophie, that bear looks so HUGGABLE!! I love the foot pad leather!

Kent
Website

Simple and fun suits me.  This challenge is about personal development, so judging won't be necessary.   bear_original

Board footer