Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm not talking about the BIG contests like TOBY, Golden Teddy, etc. but rather the contests put on at teddy bear shows. Example, I'm holding an artist teddy bear contest at the show I'm producing in August.... 5 categories including best in show.

What I want to know, as I've never participated in one, is what kinds of prizes are given out? Just a ribbon or certificate? Money? Gifts?

Help!!!!!! Pweeze???

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

When I did the Nevada City show the first time, I was fortunate to get a second place prize.  It was a printed piece of paper that basically said, "Second Place, BEST OF SHOW, Nevada City 2005."  Sounds unimpressive compared to a crystal trophy (which, I admit, DOES carry a certain "impact,) but I can tell you, I treasure that thing like it's made of gold!

This year, no award for me, so I can't recall 100%, but I think the NC BEST OF SHOW awards were similar.  Framed, or plaques, or something like that.

It would be a huge honor to win or place no matter what the trophy -- for me, anyway -- so if you're worrying about keeping show costs down, Daphne, I wouldn't get too concerned about the actual trophy/item itself.

I do think there's maybe more pressure on promoters to produce a "nice" award trophy if, like the "big" magazine sponsored contests, it costs a big chunk of cash to enter the contest in the first place.

For a show, where generally speaking you can enter the contest (or not) just by virtue of having already paid a table fee, I think the expectations of what you "get" for a win, might be different.

Would be interesting to see what other people think, esp. those with more seasoning in this area.  I'm still really new to all of this!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

In Australia we have a score out of 100.  Corret me if I'm wrong aussie girls but  when you get 90-100 you get a blue ribbon, under that you a red etc etc.  If you get over 95 you get a gold star badge on your ribbon, and the bear with the highest score in each section gets a rosette.  Then the best bears in each section are put together and a best bear of each major section is chosen..ie, prof, novice etc etc.  These are given an award, sometimes money, trophey etc etc. 
Hope this helps bear_grin
xo Sarah

oh, and we all come away with critique sheets on things weve done wrong or right bear_original

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I've won two awards at both shows I've attended.  The first award was a lovely canvas picnic bag with wine glasses for two.  Quite expensive, I must say.  Lovely as it is, I've never used it.  The second award I was given was a blue ribbon.  That award means more to me than it probably should. 

In my humble opinion....go for the most expensive ribbons you can afford.  My guess is that the recipient will cherish it more than you will ever know.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Aleta is right in my opinion - a nice ribbon that you can display with your winning bear means a lot more than a cash prize, or gift that you may or may not want/use! A trophy of some sort is fine too but probably a lot more expensive and really doesn't mean any more than the ribbon and the ribbon would likely display better with the bear and take less room.
Bear hugs, Edie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, goody... I'm on the right track.

I'm actually MAKING the ribbons.... fancy and will be in color scheme with the show colors. Course I haven't STARTED making them yet and once I do I may decided I'm crazy and just buy them!

I'm ALSO giving out Gift Certificates, in a modest amount, to one of our wonderful US suppliers. They have been kind enough to donate one GC and been very supportive of the show and my efforts so I'm thrilled to be able to support them in return. I also feel it's the kind of prize that any bear maker can definitely use and they'll still have a ribbon to show off and photograph with the bear.

I'm so releived that I seem to be doing this right! Not that there is a right or wrong, but I didn't want to go overboard nor did I want to insult any of my artists by not doing enough.

Phew!!!
I had DREAMS about this last night!! Can you tell this is my first show and the time is drawing near??  :crackup:

Thank you, Ladies!!!

Daphne

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

When I won the 'British Bear Artists Awards', we had a special presentation evening, meal, posh frock ... the works!  Anyway, that aside, the presentation included a crystal trophy, a framed certificate a bottle of champagne and an absolutely beautiful bouquet of flowers. 

For me the flowers and the certificate were what made it very special!  bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Glad you added the last sentance, Paula, as I was starting to think I wasn't doing enough after all!  bear_wacko  bear_cry   :crackup:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Sorry, that was a bit sneaky of me Daphne ... couldn't resist! 

It's absolutely true though, I really did love the flowers and I was so proud of my certificate.  To be honest, the rest was a bit too overwhelming!  :)

I think your plans sound terrific and I'm sure the winners of your competition will be thrilled.  bear_flower

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

OOOOOO.... Daphne!  Handmade ribbons sound SO lovely!  having never really entered anything... or even BEEN to a show.... shame on me... I know.... I would say that I would love to win a ribbon if I was being honored.... something I could place next to my award winning bear and take a photo of!   bear_thumb  :dance:

If the ribbon was handmade and beautiful to boot... well.... that would just be the icing on the cake!  Oh... I can't wait to see them!!!!!!!   Will we get a tiny little preview pic of them when they are done?   :pray:  :photo:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Kim, now you've really put me on the spot!!!  bear_laugh
I'll admit I'm looking forward to going to the craft stores tomorrow to hunt up ribbon, etc! :dance:
I'll post a sneak peak... but don't hold your breath for it! Might be the night before the show that I'm finishing them up!  bear_wacko

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Not putting you on the spot.... AT ALL... really, truly, I promise!!!!   :hug:  bear_wub  :hug:

I know that you've REALLY got your hands full putting this all together... I don't know how you do it Daphne! 

Hey, I'll be totally happy whenever you post a pic of one!   It just sounds like SUCH a neat idea! 

Kim Basta
Wild tHyme Originals

sarahjane Brisbane

Daphne it sounds like your show is going to be fantastic!!!....The hand made ribbons are a great idea, the ribbons are what make it special for sure!!!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Daphne, I think certificates and ribbons would be just right, I know I would be chuffed to bits with them if I ever won anything!!   bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for reinforcing my decision.

Ya know, I've never won a ribbon. But I think if I did it would mean more to me than any other award I've received.

Board footer