Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hello Ladies,

I'm overwhelmed with the mohair selection...I'm so use to going to the quilt shop and being able to touch and feel and touch and feel and touch and feel and touch and feel...have I said touch and feel yet...all the fabric that I just don't know where to begin with the mohair.  I'd like to buy a variety of small pieces until I get an idea of what I'm getting until I find what I like.  I've been playing with making bears from 5 to about 16 inches.  Just working on my techique more than anything.

Any suggestions on what to start with?  I've purchased some upholstery cashmere and ultrasuede on Ebay which has been okay for "playing with" but I'm ready for the good stuff.  bear_laugh  And purchased some kits but they don't always say what fur has been included to know what I've ended up with.

Thanks for any input.
Shantell

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Shantell, depending where you are based some companies will provide you with small samples of mohair or faux furs to give you an idea before buying... especially considering the costs involved!  You need to have a think of the length of the mohair that you want, do you want to try out  thick furry bears or do you prefer the more thread bear thin pile bears?  Usually the pile length should be indicated by the company.  I know it's bewildering trying to select it from a little photo on a computer!  I'm not sure if I've been much help, I hope so!  Anyway any other questions just ask everyone here, we're all in the same boat :)

Catherine

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Shantell,

I KNOW exactly what you mean!!!!!  When I first started making bears, I thought I wouldn't venture into designing my own bears, I would just purchase Kits.  That was because when I would look at the wonderful mohair online, I would have no idea what it would look like and what pile I would need.  Having said that though, I designed my own pattern after making three kit bears :lol:

You do really learn quickly.  I purchased a sample pack from Gerrys (an Australian Mohair online supply)  That really helped me!! It had in it, a sample of EVERY mohair available, every foot pad, every synthetics.   It also had some $5 coupons, and a free pair of test eyes LOL  I really think that was the best thing I've purchased EVER LOL  Have a look where you want to purchase mohair from, and see if they offer samples, or sample cards etc.

GOOD LUCK!  Have fuN!
Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Intercal has wonderful sample packs which are reasonably priced and will give you an excellent idea of the colors, densities, and varieties (pile lengths, finishes) they carry.  I bought them when starting out and found them invaluable! 

Check here:  http://www.intercaltg.com/swatches.html

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Shantell, I was in the same boat as you about 1 month ago. I know it's the most overwhelming thing ever!! It's good that you've made some bears already though. Right after I made my 1st bear from a kit I went out and ordered a WHOLE bunch of mohair. Spend WAY more than I should've, and the problem with that is, I just didn't know what I liked to use yet.
So if I could do it again, I'd think about my bears before I started buying mohair.
Do you like curly mohair? I find it's easier to work with than the straight. At least for us beginers. How big are your bears? If you make little ones, than for sure you don't want 1" long mohair. Also, really think of color. That pink mohair may be beautiful, but in the end will you really make a pink bear?
Other than that, I find here at intercal, it's alot easier to pick, because you can at least see a bear made from that material.
If all else fails, and you don't want to buy samples, but one of each, one sparse mohair, one curly, one straight, some mini mohair etc.
I hope this helps, I spent soo much moeny on mohair when I was in your shoes and ended up with lots that I may never use, and too much of the stuff I thought I'd like.
Heather

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thank you...I hadn't even thought of looking for swatches...I'll be ordering some soon.  I'm sure that will help me out ALOT.

:D

Shantell

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Heather...have you ever considered swapping  fabric or  supplies with another artist ?

Doll makers, quilt makers do it all the time..they even have quilt block swaps, doll swaps...hmmmm, that would be fun, even a bear swap....Winney

Twisted Whiskers Singapore

I'm getting confused with the fur desciptions...

Which is more dense?  Medium density or Regular density???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Medium and regular density are the same, I think.  LOVE that avatar of yours, Whiskers!  bear_laugh

Twisted Whiskers Singapore

Thanks!

I'm trying to grow out my hair.  I had really short crop hair for years and now going for shoulder length hair. 

Now everyday is a bad hair day...  sometimes, feel like hiding in a big hat!   bear_laugh

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

First of all I have to give a big  :clap: to intercal for their wonderful photos - they help so much when you are trying to choose fabric. 

My tip is: Go to the photo gallery and find some pictures of bears that are similar size to what you want to make (and that you like!!) and then look at the furs that they have been made in.   it gives you a good indication of the finished effect.  Sometimes I have been surprised as from the descriptions, some mohairs sound completely wrong for my bears but then I see the cutest photos. 

Of course, half the time I get distracted by gorgeous big bears like Sue Ann's and start dreaming about all those luscious thick mohairs that they use, but big bears and I so don't go together and I drag my sorry self back to the less exciting small bear fabrics!

Have fun choosing - I remember when I got my first batch of swatches (from Gerry's ) there were about 300 of them and they came in a big bag - I sat on the floor for 5 hours playing with them - sorting them into different groups and dreaming of all the bears I would make!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Melissa, I was going to say the same thing.

I have been creating bears for 6 years and I still find buying mohair to be over whelming at times.  Intercal's photo gallery really helped me a lot. You are able to see what the mohair looks like made into a bear, make sure you also notice the size of the bear.  This can change the proportion of the mohair to the size of the bear.

Johnna is also a huge help.  SHe is always ready and willing to help you.  Just give her a call.  She is wonderful!! bear_innocent bear_innocent  :pray:

Also, like Shelli said, buythe swatches.  There is nothing like hands on, feeling it for yourself.   I can only imagine what it would be like to live right by a mohair store....I would be broke...all the time :redface: bear_wub :redface: bear_smile bear_smile

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I totally agree about buying the samples...that way you know EXACTLY what will arrive in the post.

I (this is my experience) very quickly went from one fabric to another...gaining new favourites on the way...so don't do what I did and end up with a bedroom full of fabric that I can't face because I have 'gone off' it. I end up selling  piles of it on eBay!!!! Try as I might to reinvent my inspiration for it...when it's gone ...it's gone!!!

I'd suggest you buy very small pieces ..enough for one bear in of a variety of colours, densities etc..and that way you can find out if you like them fairly cheaply. I surprised myself lots of times with what I found I liked. Mainly I go for straight dense piles, in beary colours...I love scissor sculpting and the straights are great for that...I am addicted to synthetics now too!!!

Oh...the joys of fabric buying....it would be cheaper to have a drugs habit!!!!

Jenny

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Just revisiting this thread.

Winney, good idea!!

Anyone want to swap mohair peices??? 1/4 yds or 1/2 yrs is what I have.

Just a thought, maybe get a swap going.

Heather

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantel, my darlin- go with Intercal's sample packs- or try some of their end of bolt, show pieces- you won't be sorry, IF you do not have preconceived ideas- :/

What does that woman mean now, you ask?

I let the fur tell me what it wants to be- I don't try to make the fur be something it isn't.  :lol:

If I have a piece of Norton sparse I am not going to be making something soft plush and huggable-  On the other hand if I have a long pile super dense wonderfully hugable- wish it was a blankit- fur I won't make a mini  :dance:

You really can't go wrong with Intercal's samples packs and smaller pieces for learning the differnt feels and looks.  :dance:

Another think I did was download- (yes I used a lot of ink) and print their catalog, then when new fur came I would jot down in the margins, by the number what it was like and if it was something I would get again.  :thumbsup:

Does this help any?  :P

Now I'll go read what everyone else said.  :D

The big thing is yo dive in and consider it an adventure  bear_happy

Shantell- Given where intercal is- if you spend $200 and you click on the coupon for $10 off the order your shipping will be free- well it is for me and you are just a little farther north.....always something to consider-those shipping costs.

Also because of where we are in relationship to Intercal  they orders come very quickly....

Another consideration

:hug: Someone who like to have a birthday or Christmas in a box every month  :clap:

Willamette Valley Oregon

This is a really old post...someone else brought it to life again...I took Shelli's advice and ordered samples...

Not sure how good of advice that was...  :D

And the pre-paks are great...love them...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

melissa wrote:

Of course, half the time I get distracted by gorgeous big bears like Sue Ann's and start dreaming about all those luscious thick mohairs that they use, but big bears and I so don't go together and I drag my sorry self back to the less exciting small bear fabrics!

What a very nice thing to say, Melissa!  And I cannot make awesome minis like yours, so I bypass all the mini fur.  There's a place in the bear world for all of us . . . hooray!!  :clap:  :clap:

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

I have to give Intercal a plug here too.  Johnna is VERY nice and will help you out bunches.  It is very hard to choose fabric, especially having to do it over the internet.  There is only one show a year down here in Florida where I can go to so I can see fabrics in person.  Ordering swatches first is a good way to go.  But just be careful, because if you think bearmaking is addictive, buying mohair is even WORSE!  I bet all of the girls here can vouch for that!   :D

Hugs,
Susan

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

But just be careful, because if you think bearmaking is addictive, buying mohair is even WORSE!  I bet all of the girls here can vouch for that!

Oh yes, I wholeheartedly agree....and then you get the accessories addiction - buying charms, and trims, and toys and ribbons for your bears!  I have a suitcase full of ribbon and lace and how often do I put a ribbon on my bears - about twice a year!!!

I'm just having a cleanout of all my supplies and selling the excess on our local equivalent to ebay...so that I can fund a nice purchase from Intercal!

Hi Ya Susan,

I don't mind getting fabrics and not knowing what they will be like- its an adventure!  But then I have to buy EVERYTHING off the internet....so my philosophy is that there is no such thing as bad fabric-we just have to find the right application to use it in.

I once got some fabric for quilting- it was hidious with little clowns all over a dark background.  ( I have clownaphobia)  So I used it to back a quilt.  That quilt now hangs over the back door window at night-  So I have to see the clowns when I come in from the spa!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

I thought quilting was an addiction- but Miss Susan, gollies and teddies and all their supplies is infinetly more addicting, you are so right on that observation!

But Golly, it is so much fun  :dance:

higs
dilu

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

"I once got some fabric for quilting- it was hidious with little clowns all over a dark background.  ( I have clownaphobia) "

I have clownaphobia too.  I have never really liked clowns, and then I watched that one Stephen King movie, I think it was called "IT", oh my goodness now clowns totally freak me out.  They are horrible.  And that is sad....

I used to just make country type crafts with my Mom, and was a materialaholic.  Now I am a mohairaholic.  Do they have a mohair anonymous???

And yes it is an adventure, and out of all my many purchases of mohair, there have been really very few that I have been dissappointed in.  And just when you make a bear that you think is ugly, it is usually the first one that sells. 

bear_original Susan

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Stephen King put' IT' in his book'Tommy KNockers' as well .Creeped me right out.

I like to buy my mohair from Gerry's special one of a kind sale offers. I have no idea what I'm getting .I like the surprise.
I also like having my stash. I'll have a look in there to see what takes my fancy.If I dont have what I want I'll get out my sample book and have a look. I buy alot of my fabric at craft fairs  as well. Especially 1/6  & 1/8th's
I bought some black ratinee mohair flecked with gold thread the other year. I hated it on site. Thought it was vile. I popped it in my stash wondering what on earth I was going to do with it. WELL....I turned a portion of it into Kitty...and I think it suits her nicely. I like it now. Our tastes change so I doubt you will make a catastrophic mistake. bear_grin

Board footer