Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question for everyone.  I am wondering how you wax a nose?  Do you melt it first?  I was just wondering if sometimes the wax hardens on the brush before you get it onto the nose, or am I just worried over nothing?

Thanks,
Danni

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Danni,
If you use Ezy Wax, you just warm it a tad in the microwave (or if you happen to have a large cleveage, I've heard you can pop it down there for a bit too!!!:P) then just stroke it on the nose (always in the same direction), just a light coat at a time  and buff with fax paper between coats. You can either just add one or two coats, or continue adding coats until you have a really built up waxed nose which covers all the threads....depending on what kind of look you are after. You can also paint the wax or shade it afterwards too if you like.
I have the wax in most colours...even reds, and greens etc...but you can also get them thru Beary Cheap.
I know there are more ways to apply wax...but I find the Ezy wax the easiest and least messy. Let us know how you go okay~!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've never used the Ezy Wax, but it does sound easier than my method.  I melt bee's wax in an aluminum pan on top of my stove burner with the heat set AT THE LOWEST TEMPERATURE POSSIBLE.  I paint the melted wax on the embroidered nose and let it "harden" between coats.  As with Ezy Wax, you can build up as many layers as you want.  If it gets a "milky" haze on it, I use a permanent marker to put on color that blends with the bear's mohair.  One word of caution:  Laura Lynn did point out to me that wax catches on fire at a relatively low temp, so be careful when you do this.  I've never had any problems over the years of using this technique, but it doesn't hurt to always be aware!!  I have a pan and brush dedicated to this method, so that I just reheat the same wax over and over.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Danni,
I have taken several classes where we did waxed noses.  The class that I took from Steve Schutt, you run the pearl cotton thru the bees wax before you do the stitching.  After you have pulled the pearl cotton through the wax you pull the pearl cotton between your index finger and your thumbnail to remove any excess wax.  With this method you have a nice light wax effect.  You don't have to worry about fire.  This is a quick easy method, give it a try.

The other method was in a class with Kathleen Wallace.  She had us rub the cold bees wax on the nose after it is stitched.  Heat the nose after rubbing with wax with a hair dryer then buff with paper.  Keep rubbing more wax onto the nose and heating until you have the amount you want.

Then I was taught the method that SueAnn mentioned.  I like the other two methods better.  With this method if the wax cools down too quickly on the nose or has globs of wax in areas you can blast it with the hairdryer to warm the wax enough to even things out before you buff. 

I just recieved some colored wax that I have not used yet.  I think it is the Ezy Wax.  I have a friend that uses decopauge (did I spell that correctly) on her noses.  Adding two or three thin layers and letting it dry in between layers.

Hope this gives you some help with different approaches to waxing.

Donna

Australia

Hi Jean,
I have used the Liquitex Gloss on noses too and it works a treat! Was put onto it by my good friend Rosey Day, who uses it on all her miniatures. For anyone that hasn't seen Roseys bears..do have a lookie..they are a treat! www.roseyday.com
I have been trying to talk Rosey into joining us here on Teddy Talk..she's a good "Yakker" too..with heaps of know-how, and one of the nicest people I know. So Rosey...if you are reading....c'mon girl, JOIN!!!

Lisa..sounds like you just got a bit heavy handed with the wax between coats....you really need to get that elbow grease going to create a bit of heat/friction to get the wax nicely worked into the threads. I keep going until I can feel the warmth coming thru the paper, then do my next layer. Don't give up...the lightly waxed look is great for antique looking bears and would look terrific on your pandas too!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I am with Sue Ann on this one Danni. I have a pie plate and a paint brush that I just keep melting the same old beeswax over and over again at a low temp. I too use copic markers to color the wax when it is hard. I buy brown bees wax for my noses. and I really do love that look of a waxed nose. I must say that all bears do not look good with a waxed nose , so it very much depends on the bear.

Hugs Louise

Australia

Thanks so much everyone for your tips.  I think the Ezy wax sounds the easiest, so it's probably the way to go ... for me anyhow......

I have some wax that I purchased when I first got into bears.  Hayley, do you know if the wax Gerry's sells is Ezy Wax or not?  I might have to melt that stuff...

Danni

Australia

Danni,
The stuff at Gerry's works just the same as the ezy wax.

Australia

Ahh thanks Hayley, I meant to write that I found that out!  As I was flipping through a catalogue I found the instructions for the wax.

Thanks for letting me know though!

Danni

Board footer