Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi...I noticed in Shelli's "sticky note" she mentioned a topic for this section could be..."Sue Ann's picture and explanation of how to find the correct side head/gusset length formula."  I went looking for it and couldn't find it.  Is this something that is already here somewhere or just a subtle bear_happy hint that perhaps Sue Ann could share that with us.  Cuz, I'm thinking I would really really like it.

Hint Hint Hint...if it's not here yet...or could someone please direct me to the right location.

Shantell

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Diagram.jpg

I couldn't find the original post, either, so I'm just putting it up again.  If you have a flexible ruler, the measurement is easy to do.  The distance from C to A on the gusset should equal the distance from C to A on the side head piece.  Likewise, the measurement from A to B on the gusset should be the same as from A to B on the head piece.  Some ladies said they add a little bit to the end of the gusset just to make sure it will fit.  They said they could always cut off a little if it's too long.  Hugs,

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Sue Ann...I was envisioning some algebraic math calculation that I was then going to have to enlist the help of one of my children to help me with.  I took one look at your diagram and instructions and went DUH!!!  Silly me...

Shantell

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sue Ann, you are amazing!! I also thought this would be more complicated than it is. Now, I just have to figure out how to create the face I want.
Do you have to be able to draw well to create your own patterns?? Needless to say, I don't draw too good. :D
Heather

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh goodness no, you don't have to draw well to design your own patterns!!!  Just drawing circles and ovals will do nicely. bear_laugh bear_laugh  There are some other "general" proportions to consider.  The head should be approximately half the size of the body, the legs approximately the length of the body, and the arms as long as the legs or a tad longer.  Now of course, rules were meant to be broken, so these proportions are just a guideline to get you started.  Making adjustments to pattern pieces are part of the fun of designing.  HAVE FUN!!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

And babies have bigger rounder heads and shorter limbs....stubby little guys, hee, hee....Winney

Willamette Valley Oregon

Do you make the head gusset wider in order to achieve a rounder head for the "babies?"

Thanks

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Actually, I think darts would make the head rounder!

White City, Oregon

If you make it wider... then the top of the head will be flatter across like in the older antique bears...she's right,  make darts...
Sue where would you make the darts ?.... in the top of the centerhead piece or on the side head pieces ? ... Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I make a five piece head for my bigger gollies

for the gollies the two front pieces with the nose...(gotta love those noses)

then onto each side front I stitch a side side-this is out of the mohair and probably hits about where the ears would be, were I not lazy

Then I have another gusset of mohair- I find the head is about the same roundness as a baseball-The gusset doesn't go all the way to the nose, it starts about where the hair line would begin on a reall gollyperson.

It comes out with the same roundness feeling as a baseball-  just not quite as hard, that's pretty round.

Now if I am making a really big head and I want it to fit better to the neck allotment area, I take small darts at the back of the head....say about where those wonderful muscles are that go from the shoulders up onto the occipital part of the head where we all get so tense and tight. ;)

It is working so well with the gollies- I am very very pleased- and I can make the head as big or small as I like

The flexi ruler Shelli was talking about is really not expensive and can be used for not just designing bears or gollies, but also for clothing...
I find it invaluable-it was worth ev ery penney and they aren't expensive.
They can be had at Walmart, any quilting or sewing store and I think Edinburgh has them.

We also used it in our round house to get the grade right on the outside walls in the kitchen when we wanted to put in new linoleum!  Like I said- invaluable  :)

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I have a design that I put darts in on the side head pieces and it works pretty well.  Actually you could put them in both places to round it up very nicely!!

White City, Oregon

How interesting...I want to try making a bear pattern with cheeks ...maybe it can be done this way.....Winney

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

So, sorry if this is a silly question, but say if you make the 'nose' part on the gusset wider than the rest of the gusset (opposite of what it normally looks like) you won't get puffy cheeks? Obviously this is an extreme example, but that's how I imagined you would do it. But I'm just soo new.
Also, another silly question, but darts. Is it true that the longer the darts are, the more it will puff out once sewed? For example. just made a teddy from someone elses pattern. the body had darts in it, but the "V's" of the darts were very small, and I think I barely notice any change. If I were to cut them larger, would that've bulked out the body??
okay, enough questions.
thanks
Heather

White City, Oregon

I would think if you made the NOSE part on the gusset wider you would get a wider nose.... unless you are talking about the nose on the SIDE HEAD PIECE...that would get you a HIGHER nose end.

Darts...longer darts won't puff out more ....but wider darts will.... you saw what the small darts did, little shaping.

If you draw the darts to be bigger( a opened wider V )  then you have to redraw the pattern to allow for it...you can't rob the body for this extra fabric because then the body will have this great dart but no body.

You are forging ahead just great Heather so I would get your self a good bear making book  on designing....it will cover a lot of this that are going to pop up in you head plus a lot of other wonderings...OH yes...or take a class on line..you won't be sorry.... Winney

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Heather,

This are the two books I found to be very helpful -
A Bear of My Own by Rotraud Illish
101 Bears to Make by Nancy Tillberg

Nancy also teaches an on line Design Class.  It was a great class and discussed all of the areas you were asking about.  I know you would love it.
www.northcountryteddybears.com

You can find her classes at that site.

Sandi

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You guys are great!!!!

Winney, thanks for answering my questions. I see what you mean about the gusset now. Just hadn't thought of it that way. I also now understand about the darts. This helps me picture the whole process a little better.
Sandi, thanks for the book advice. I agree that I should have a book. It's so nice whenver those questions pop into your head like Winney says.
Thanks again
Heather

Board footer