Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just received a bear in the mail last month and I opened the box and the bear actually was scented!  Does anyone know how to scent a bear?  I was pondering this but cannot seem to come up with anything...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The only thing I can think of that maybe the sprayed it with something, and the smell will go away. Or I've heard of some people stuffing their bears with lavender etc. Or maybe trew in one of those perfume samples from a magazine into the belly. Or maybe they washed the mohair before making the ted and you're smelling the soap or fabric softener.
In other words, I guess they could've used anything. LOL
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

hmmm... that is a dilly of a pickle... I just dont want to use something that will damage or stain...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

yeah, me neither. Although lavender sounds good in a belly of a bear, I think that after time it would get nasty. I think that washing the mohair with something nice smelling is the safest way, but it doesn't last forever.
let us know if you come up with anything though
Heather

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This has been discussed on other boards and so I just thought I'd be a complete killjoy and mention that some folks, in the past, brought up that smelly bears aren't ALWAYS a good thing.  Some people have allergies and/or just plain don't want an aromatic bear.  So do keep that in mind in deciding to scent a bear, and also, be certain to mention your bruin's aromatic appeal in your auctions and/or on your hangtags (if you're selling at a show.)

I got a bear from someone that smelled wonderful; a very soft and subtle vanilla scent, I believe.  Maybe it was the fabric softened she used on the vintage kitchen towel that constituted the fabric of the bear's attire.  Whatever it was, I thoroughly enjoyed opening up that parcel!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Good point about the allergy thing.. My hubby opened the box that the bear was in (that was scented) and he got a headache...he actually put it back in the box and across the room!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

When I do a special order fur bear I always ask the customer if I may include cedar inside the bear.  It gives a nice fragrance when squeezed and helps protect the bear from critters.    In the past I have used a dryer sheet inside the bear if fur had a less than pleasant odor.

Donna

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hmmmm.Shelli that is a great idea to ask the customer ahead of time. I do like the idea to add cedar shavings inside the bear...especially if the bear is made out of vintage fur...just smells so natural. It is an insect deterrent too.Winney

Board footer