Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

garden-of-imagination Posts: 9

Having just been introduced to this wonderful place I've been reading every spare second I have.  I came across some joints that one of you ladies made but the hardware store didn't have the headless bolt.  Where do I get the parts to make this...

http://www.backroadbears.com/joints.htm

Thank you in advance.  It's very nice to see all the helpful hints among one another.

Angela

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Angela,

You can purchase all of these items here at Intercal  http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/supplies.html

If you have questions about what to order, Johnna is wonderfully helpful when you call.  Or just ask us and someone here can walk you through the bits and bobbles.

Have fun...you can also just click on one of the banner links at the top for Intercal and get lost in the mohair...just hollar...we'll help you find your way out.

Hugs,
Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Welcome Angela,

So nice to have you here....Shantell is 100% correct. 
I don't know where you live, but here in Southern Oregon it is easier AND cheaper to order from Intercal.  The Intercal prices are better than the hardware store close by or the big BOX stores.  So I just get mine here, for the big and the little gollies and bears...

Will we be seeing more of you?  I hope so....

gollyhugs
dilu

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

Hi, Angela!!  Glad to see you here!  I'm going to be putting an order in to Intercal here pretty soon, I'll email about it or see you on TTLG!

Amelia

Thank you Amelia for introducing me to this wonderful place.  Did you make that bear by your name? 

I've been working on my very first bear this morning and already realized I forgot the center part of the head after I already sewed it together! 

Angela

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
garden-of-imagination wrote:

I've been working on my very first bear this morning and already realized I forgot the center part of the head after I already sewed it together! 

Angela

You're too cute for words!!! bear_flower  :crackup:  :hug: Welcome bear_thumb

LOL.  Thanks Wendy.  I was going for cute in the bear, NOT between my ears.   :crackup:

Oh, to answer someones referrence to where I live... I live in San Antonio Texas.

I do have yet another question already.....  How in the world do you sew suede without it puncturing your own fingertips?!!!  Last night I thought for sure the needle was going to make my fingers bloody, and I'm not even needle felting!  Ouch.

My sewing machine is a Wal-Mart special from 9 years ago when we got married.  So it ain't great, but it normally works fine.  But it does not like to go through the suede.  I put a new needle in and adjusted the tension to no advail.  Then I resorted to stitiching by hand and using thimbles, but it's hard to grip the needle with thimbles.  So advice here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Angela

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Angela---
Been there done that...
You need a special needle to sew through leather and seude... it is triangluar in shape and you can't buy it at Wal* Mart... I know... you will need to check with a sewing shoppe to order it...

But... Better yet!

Cut out a duplicate in muslin or a cheap calico... you know the stuff that you can get on the $2.00 table at Wal*Mart.
When you sew your pieces together you sew with the seude in the middle.

Mohair
----------
Suede
----------
Muslin

Don't ask me why but this does work and you never break a thread this way... or atleast I never did.
What type of Wal*Mart special did you get?
Sewing repair shoppes are always great places to chek out for never claimed repair jobs.
I picked up a DRESSMAKER about 10 years ago now as a never picked up repair for $45.00 bear_thumb
A great buy! I just wish that I would have had enough money there were 2 others just like it. I would have bought them too.
Mom uses an old Nelco machine and it is great too.
I have found that using older sewing machines is great! I am talking about machines from the around the 50s, before they brought out all this plastic stuff.
Before that I was buying a new machine every 6 months to year... and I bought them at Wal*Mart, in our area there is no other place to shop.
I would drool over the machines in the sewing shoppes, but I was not going to spend $100s to $1000s on a sew machine to make bears. I knew that they would never take to working with the mohair and fuzz. Plus they had all these bells and whistles that I would never use.
I just need a good basic durable machine that back tacs, straight stitches, and zig-zags, being able to make button holes is a nice option too.
I think I will stop now...

Welcome to TT

HERE'S A GREAT BIG BUNNY HUG!!!

Everyone else gives bear hugs.

Thank you so much for your advice!  I'll have to check Hancock fabrics for a leather needle and what a great tip about adding the muslin!  I'll certainly try that on the next bear.  And I know that ya'll are using mohair, but I went with a very inexpensive walmart fake hair to learn with. 

My Wal-Mart special sewing machine is just a basic machine that is perfect for most of my uses.  The special was the sale they had around Christmas time.  What an excellent idea to look at repair shops.

I've been looking for that kind of jointing bolt with the hex thing on the end... does each joint cost around $5.00?!  I can attach the limbs before stuffing to the body with a regular bolt, but the head still needs one of those things.  That's a lot of money for a joint.

Thanks for all the help!

And what's your name?

Angela

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Angela,
I use set screws or grub screws with all of my bears from 6" up.  I do sell supplies for bear making.  The cost for just the set screw is $8.50 for 50 that are 1" x 1/8.  I think the $5.00 a joint is way over priced.  I also like to recommend using a hex head bit in your racheting screwdriver to speed things along.  I also sell those for $2.00.  If you want to PM me or send an email with your jointing needs I could help you with prices and hopefully get you set up with everything you need.
Isn't bear making fun!
Donna

Board footer