Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Does anyone else suffer with allergies??? It seems that mine are getting worse year by year. The past 2 days in the UK have been glorious sunshine....which for me means swollen sinuses, runny eyes, and general grottiness, lol. And today when I ventured out in it for a few minutes my skin turned bright red. Ack. Much to the worry of my friends, who kept talking about it and made me feel worse  :mad:.

Anyway, since this is the worst it's ever been for me I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I know I need to cover up (I have sensitive skin anyway, but red in 2-3 minutes???). Do you take allergy relief tablets of some kind? Are there any food supplements or natural remedies that might help?

I know I can count on my friends here in TT!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, Helena, I feel your pain.  I was absolutely miserable yesterday.  I've been tested and have some allergies to animal dander, dust, and certain pollens and trees (like olive.)  My worst allergy, however, and the one that proved so reactive in testing that the doctors felt they had to dose me with Benadryl to stop the reaction (and the test!) is to RYE GRASS.  I don't even know what it is, but I sure am allergic to it.

I was eating dinner with my kids next to an open window yesterday and I felt all the familiar symptoms coming on.  By the time the meal was over I was drowning in phlegm.  Lovely, I know.

We have some tall weeds in our yard due to neglect during the rainy season and I looked out that open window and said to my kids, "Ya know, I don't know what rye grass looks like, but how much you wanna bet me that the GIANT weed three feet from this window is it?"

My son Googled for a photo and, sure enough, I was practically sitting on top of a giant tuft of seeded-out rye grass.  Duh, Shel.

Needless to say, the sniffles and raw nose and hacking cough and general feeling of lethargy and chills led me to my favorite, but not perfect, allergy drug of choice:  CLARITIN 24 hour, or a generic knock off.  It brings my symptoms down to manageable very quickly and cures them in 12 hours or less.  However, the HUGE drawback is that it contains pseudoephedrine... basically a legalized form of speed.  This amphetamine ramps my system up so much, every time I take it, that I can COUNT ON going to sleep, only to wake up a few hours later with restless legs that just won't quit for hours.

So... runny nose gone, can't sleep a wink.  Ugh!

If I happen to anticipate allergy season (which I never seen able to do) I can often combat the runny nose symptoms by using a nasal spray like Nasarel or Flonase.  Both work well for me.

I wish I could find an herbal remedy that deals with allergies as severe as mine but I've yet to discover what it is. 

Good luck to you, Helena, and I send many Kleenex boxes your way!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Aww, thankyou Shelli....although I'm sorry to hear that you suffer too. It's really miserable, eh? But what really panicked me today was the thought that I might be more sensitive to the sun now, on top of everything else. Now that I'm indoors again the redness has gone away.....

It sounds like you need to get rid of that giant weed/rye grass in your garden as soon as possible. At least you could sit near your window in comfort! And thanks for mentioning Clarityn - we get that here too. I'm one of those people that is really resistant to taking medication but this allergy business is weakening my defenses!

Maybe I'll go and get some allergy testing done. Then at least I'll know what I'm dealing with!

:hug:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Lisa, sorry to hear you're a member of the allergy club too  :(. I didn't really have this till later in life either....I mean, as a kid and growing up it was never a problem. Then while living in London I became sensitised to the pollution, and felt much, much better when I moved away from there about 10 years ago. Slowly the allergies are coming back now though - looks like it's pollen at the moment.

My husband is allergic to cats too, like you. We don't have any pets, even though we'd love to. He's also allergic to metals, cobalt in particular. He's off the scale for that one! And you just can't get away from it - clothes dyes usually have it in.

bear_flower

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
Lisa wrote:

sound like a real bumble grump er!!

Not at all! I think it's me that's feeling grumpy today. Yes, that tickle in the ear is familiar to me too, and in the throat as well, where you just can't scratch....

Oh well, not that it helps any but at least we're not alone!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Helena, I don't have allergies ( and am SO thankful) but my husband does terribly.  He is allergic to several grasses and trees so how can you avoid that !  He used to have monthly allergy shots but stopped.  He now find that Claritan combined with a prescription nasal spray called Nasonex works really well.   

I am taking my son to the doctor tomorrow to discuss allergies too.  He has been so congested off and on for the past few months and even moreso since spring started.   He is miserable and no decongestant/allergy meds seemed to be working. ( I really hope he isn't allergic to fur as he gets even more stuffed when in my sewing room !!)  He finally tried some of my hubbies Nasonex last week and it worked like a charm.  It is a once/day spray and seems to control the sniffing, congestion and cough as it stops postnasal drip.   Not sure if it is available in the UK ??   I think Flonase is a similar product.    These won't help your other symptoms but may offer a lot of relief from eye, nose, throat stuff.   Good luck

Here is a link to some info. 
http://www.nasonex.com/nasx/application … tegory=any

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thanks Tammy, I'm pretty sure Nasonex is available here. I did try something like that (don't remember the name) about two years ago but it didn't seem to help. But I have to admit that I didn't persevere, and there are other products that might work so I should maybe give it another go.

Fingers crossed for your son, I hope you get some good news at the doctor's  :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I suffer miserably from allergies.  I take a product with Loratadine in it.  It's an over the counter antihistamine that's compatible with other medication that I take.  When I'm really suffering I use a nasal spray called Rhinocort Aqua.  It's only available by perscription.

It sounds as if you are heat/sun sensitive too.  Me too.  I'll come in from outside and I'll be bright as a beet in temperatures over 75 degrees.  It fades pretty quickly though once indoors in air conditioning.  My skin is hypersensitive to heat and sun since taking blood pressure medication.  Lots of medications make people sun sensitive so if you're taking meds be sure to read the precautions and side-effects lists. 

I hope you find some comfort for your allergies.   bear_original

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

It sounds as if you are heat/sun sensitive too.  Me too.  I'll come in from outside and I'll be bright as a beet in temperatures over 75 degrees.  It fades pretty quickly though once indoors in air conditioning.

Yes! That's me!!! It's horrible, and getting worse <sigh> I'm not taking any meds at the moment though. I think I need to talk to the doc about it.

Big, big hugs to you Aleta, it sounds as if you've really suffered....  bear_sad  :hug:

(I was going to add the 'flower' icon, but thought better of it!)

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Helena - If you contact a homeopathic company e.g. Wileda (UK) they can supply a pollen mix in tablet form.  (The usual culprit at this time of year is birch)  It can help ease symptoms - and next year if you take it just prior to the season you just need a maintenance dose weekly.  They will give you all the details.  No side effects - drowsiness etc - its brilliant - and I'm the biggest sceptic in the world.

Sandra  :redface:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thanks Sandra  :). I just googled for Wileda and found the pollen mix. I'd be very open to trying the homeopathic route - I've heard good things from other people too, in relation to other symptoms. So it's definitely worth trying!

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Hi Helena

Poor you bear_sad .  Like Tammy my husband suffers horribly with allergies - from early spring to autumn.  Itchy throat, runny eyes and nose, feeling sick - he even says his teeth itch.  He also gets very moody.  Now is probably the worst time, when that horrible yellow rape seed is out in all of the fields.  He finds that Clarityn helps to keep it all under control -  I noticed that Aleta takes Loratadine, I think that's pretty much the same as Clarityn just a different name.  My father in law keeps telling him to go to the doctors as apparently Loratadine is sometimes available on prescription here and it works out much cheaper.

Hope you're feeling a bit better by the time you get this.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, I went upstairs after reading the new posts and yes, Loratidine IS the active ingredient in Claritin.  Apparently, I've been taking Claritin-D, which is why it contains pseudoephedrine; that's a decongestant!  Shelli is off to the grocer in just a short while to get Claritin/generic Loratidine ONLY, without the decongestant, so she can be allergy-symptom-free AND get some sleep!

Thanks girls!  I don't think I would have even read the packaging that closely if this thread hadn't popped up.  All I saw was "Claritin" and BOOM!, that box ended up in my shopping bag last season. bear_happy

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I do not suffer much with allergies except poison ivy, which will just about hospitalize me.  I did read though that a natural treatment for allergies is a combination of Quercetin and Bromelain.  I found a capsule that combines the two and I have just started taking it because the artical said it is good for those who get poison ivy (that's me).  I have not been on it long enough for results yet.  It also helps build your immune system so I figure it can't hurt even if it does nothing for allergies.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

You know what... I have never had any kind of allergies whatsoever.... then last week i felt like I was getting a little cold... runny nose, post nasal drip, slightly swollen eyes... i knew that in a day or two it would be a full blown raging cold... well, it never got any worse, but it hasn't gotten any better either... so I have a sneaking suspicion that I should be added to the club on this one....  bear_angry   YUCK! 

Like I said... I have never had allergies before.... but I am assuming that you can develop them at any time, right?  Plus... this is our first Spring in a new area.... so maybe there is an excess here of some tree or spore or weed, or whatnot that I just haven't been exposed to before? 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
WildThyme wrote:

I have never had allergies before.... but I am assuming that you can develop them at any time, right?

I think so, Kim....I know I used to wake up in London with swollen itchy eyes and a runny nose and think 'what???'. It took me a while to realise it was allergy related because I'd never had those symptoms before. While I wouldn't wish a cold on you I kind of hope that's what it turns out to be!

Millie, sorry to hear about your poison ivy allergy. I hope the treatment works for you, fingers crossed.

Shelli, I'm glad my little moan which started this thread has helped you, and here's to restful, allergy-free nights!

I'm kind of surprised how many of us have partners with allergies too (Vicky, Tammy, myself). I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise! My husband has dry skin caused by various allergies and every so often will erupt in painful rashes and sores. He quite often needs antibiotics which isn't ideal. It kind of puts my allergy symptoms in the shade, although I feel like I'm starting to catch him up   bear_tongue

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Kim,  bear_flower
It is my understanding that you can develop allergies at anytime.  I didn't have any allergies until we moved from Alaska to Seattle.  Since moving to Portland last year I've not suffered nearly as bad as I did in Seattle.  When we lived there I was a basket case from March through November.   Here I seem to only really have severe symptoms May through August.  The climate here in Portland is warmer, drier and a lot more open.  Apparently that makes a big difference.....at least as far as my outdoor allergies are concerned. 

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

floweringtwig.jpgAleta & Helena.... when I have a cold it always gets immediately WORSE, and this has just been nagging fairly mild symtoms for over a week.. no better, no worse... so I really do think it's probably allergies.   bear_angry

It does really sound to me like in my case, its probably the move... Hudson is a quaint little town with a gazillion trees!!!!  Beautiful, YES!  The neighborhood I live in is known for it's magestic maples and right now they are producing these little "strings" of stuff... probably pollen or something.... they are just flying through the whole neighborhood! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

IM A MEMBER OF ALLERGY CLUB TOO..

My hayfever was unbearable as a teenager, running eyes and nose it looked like i was constantly crying...

Unfortunately my son is now developing it too... he is suffering from the tree pollen at the moment... bear_sad

I found out as an adult i was allergic to dust mite but only after having tests because id become so ill to the point of exhaustion.

I had a long course of injections  of the dust mites to help me gain resistance to them, it worked, and now it hardly bothers me unless im spring cleaning things like dusty curtains etc.

I still suffer from exzema but only mildly now thank god , but both my poor children do Jay has to be  be totally creamed with lotion every few days as his skin is very dry from it. bear_sad

The worst thing i suffer with now is an allergy to the sun... and this is getting worse... im fine for about two days.. then i get a small rash like prickly heat... maily on my chest... then it starts to spread.. it get worse and worse until the spots turn into watery blisters like cold sores.   Its horrible horrible horrible.... DOES ANYONE ELSE SUFFER WITH THIS... AND WHATS BEST TO TREAT IT...

I sympathize with everyone here it can make life really unbearable...

Board footer