Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

What is a good camera, or should I say a good camera at a reasonable price?  I am just starting out and cannot afford a $400.00 camera yet.  The digital camera that I have does not show fine detail and doesn't show my work very well..... HELP!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Kim!

First off.... have you read Shelli's article on photography in Bears and Buds?  Here's a link:

http://www.bearsandbuds.com/webzine/Pho … Teddy1.asp

Although I have not used this particular camera... I did have good results with a simliar one - same brand.  We have the Canon Elph camera. (hubby keeps that one now!)  I've printed photos up to 8x10 with this little job and they were awesome!  Also great on the website too bear_original   It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  I think I can safely say that another Canon would also be very good...

So that's why I'm suggesting you look at the Canon Powershot A510 Digital Camera. 
Some things I'd look for that this one has....
3.2 megapixels
White balance
Ability to turn flash OFF
Macro (this one's is from (2.0in. - 1.5ft.)  and you can always crop closer with your photo program if necessary)

I THINK it runs around $200.  But I'm not sure if that includes a memory card (which is necessary!)  If you're short on cash... you CAN get the smaller memory card...(our first card was just an 8MB card cause the main purpose was for my bears and I didn't need tons of storage) and get another and or bigger card later....

I just did a quick search on wolf camera.... and found that they DO have it for $199, no shipping, no sales tax and it INCLUDES a 16MB multimedia card... It uses either alkaline or rechargeable batteries.  The rechargeable battery pack is extra.... I recommend it... but you could get it later.  It also takes 2 standard AA's.  I suspect it would go thru them quickly... but you can always ask for the battery and charger at Christmas bear_original

http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs/st … 03%3Bc1009

You may want to see if you can see one of these cameras in person to see if it "feels right" in your hands.   CompUSA stores carry a large selection of digital cameras.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, I bought my Olympus digital camera (5 megapixels) at www.overstock.com.  They have reasonable prices because the cameras are mostly reconditioned ones.  Have enjoyed having mine and it works very well.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My husband is brave and buys electronics on eBay from reputable sellers with great (but not necessarily 100%) feedback.  They are usually reconditioned and come at great prices.  You could try there!  And sometimes, they also have an eBay store, with Buy It Now options, so you don't even have to compete for the win.

Laura, thanks for the reference to my article.  Kim, there is a Part Two where some bear artists who take great pictures share which cameras they use.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hey ! More photo stuff on Bears and Buds ???? Yeah...I scooting right over there ...Thanks' again Shelli...Winney

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I use an HP photosmart which I love.  It cost less than $200.00.  I have been very pleased with it.

Board footer