Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hello...

Not sure what my problem is but I can't seem to get my arms and legs jointed straight.  I don't care how carefully I cut, sew or mark my pieces, it seems I always have one or the other slightly off and quite frankly I'm annoyed.  bear_angry  I've read and reread Nancy Tillberg's directions as well as a couple others (but I seem to like her stuff best) and can't get it right.  Any pointers...

Perhaps my bears are just meant to be lopsided... :D

Oh...and when you are designing your own...how do you figure out where to mark your joint placement...any pointers, hints, instructions, pictures or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

I keep saying I'm going to take some Bear U classes....

TTFN

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shantell, after I get the body pieces sewn together and before I turn it, I measure the distance from the mark where the leg joint goes down to the seam in the crotch (for want of a better word!!).  I do this on both leg joints and if there is a discrepancy in the measurements, I adjust one side or the other so that they match in distance.  You can also measure from the leg joint marks to the tummy seam to make sure they are equal.  Then I do the same procedure with the arm joint marks . . . only I measure up to the top of the hump seam.  Hope this makes some sense to you!! bear_ermm bear_happy bear_tongue

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Sue Ann...you're always so sweet and helpful.  Next  question...along the same line.  I've been working on a design of my own...but I'm not sure how far down on his little body I should place his arms.  I either get them too low or too high...good thing I'm just "practicing."   Some time I'll get brave and actually post a picture...;)

Thanks again...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

HEE HEE . . . your wondering where to place arms reminded me of some of my very early designs.  I just couldn't get the hang of putting the arms low enough and my first bears looked like they were shrugging all the time!!  One or two looked like their arms were coming out of their ears! bear_grin bear_grin  Finally, I MADE myself put them lower and, in time, it became easier.  Practice is the KEY!!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shantell,
When placing the marks for the leg joints onto the body..place them in the dead centre (draw a line down thru the centre of your bear body piece). Height-wise..for the legs, the bottom of the disk should sit just a tad above the dart ending and for the arms, you need to allow half the neck joint depth plus about 1/2 an inch (depending on what size bears you make) between the edge of the neck disk and the top of the arm disk. Otherwise as Sue Ann says, your bear will look like it's shrugging. The arm joints always look too low on the  body pattern,...it's just something you have to get used to.
When you make your first pattern, these marking are a good starting point and when you actually joint the bear, you may need to move the joints a little one way or the other to achieve the right look, so do that and then mark the changes on your pattern.

You also need to make sure there is a bit of distance between the arm and leg joint disks otherwise your bears arms will stick out over the thighs, so make sure the length of the body accomodates this. With your first design..things rarely turn out just right...and you usually need to tweak it quite a bit over the following bear or two, but after awhile, it becomes second nature...and the tweaks become smaller and less necessary. It's all a bit daunting at first, but every single artist has to start right where you are...and all have the same trials and frustrations. It takes many hours to design and develop a good pattern...that's why people get so upset when others copy without asking.
Good for you....can't wait to see what you come up with....but just take your time and don't rush it.;)

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Hayley,

I think (and I say that loosely) that I get it.  I tend to let my overachiever perfectionist tendencies get in my way.  bear_grin:lol:  That and my only child..."I want it now!!!"

My two little bears are definitely a shrugger and a sloucher...I guess they must be teenagers...ya think?  I'll send them to my mom...she seems to think she needs to keep anything and everything that I've ever made or attempted to make in my entire life.   She'll love them.  Should be interesting when she's gone to see what little treasures she has stashed... :D

TTFN

Shantell

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh...wait...there was one thing I wasn't clear on...

Height-wise..for the legs, the bottom of the disk should sit just a tad above the dart ending

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "dart ending".  So far all the patterns I've done don't have darts.

Thanks!!!

Board footer