Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

HI, I've been working on a new pattern all night & I'm going crazy over the gusset. So of course I turn to Teddy Talk to search for help. I was happy to see lots of my questions were just ansewred a couple topics back. But the last thing I'm stuck on is: why do just about all patterns show the gusset taper in twards the back? If you draw it with the width the same all the way down how would that affect the head different from tapering it ?
Thanks for the help, Sandy bear_ermm  bear_rolleyes

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but I would think that by narrowing the gusset in the back you would be reducing unnecessary bulk where you joint your bears head to the body.  Leaving it the same as the top would just create extra fabric that you would be needing to gather around the joint piece.  I think and I again may be incorrect but you would be better off trying to create a different affect using darts. 

bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, Shantell, you are absolutely correct with your answer!  You want roundness and fullness in the head . . . not the neck.  The part of the gusset that tapers begins to form the neck and you don't want a bunch of fabric there!!

New Jersey

Hi Sue Ann  & Shantell,
O- so that's why, I knew there had to be a good reason.  Now I can finish up & see how she turns out (with the taper) Thanks a bunch for answering so fast ~ Sandy  bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, and to add just a little to what Sue Ann so expertly said... If you have too much fabric to gather at the nape, it makes it that much harder to tightly secure the disk/neck joint.  Which might lead to a popped-off head!  Totally macabre!  You don't want that.

New Jersey

Hi Shelli, Thanks for the extra info. that's one experience I rather not have to fight with ~ Sandy

Board footer