Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Lisa my 9yo daughter came to me today with an idea she wants to try for a teddy bear.
She has one of those bears that you buy and you can colour in then wash and recolour in.

Well she said to me today that she has had a great idea and that she wants to paint a bear with 'proper paints'  so that it can't wash off.

Now she is a budding bear artist made a few and seems to want to keep trying, the limit of her exposure to artist bears is at the bear shows that I attend.  Now my question for you.  She is really keen on doing this bear with a painted body,
What should I do as you are very protective over the painted bear, should I turn her away? Or should I let her go as her idea developed by itself as an off shoot from another bear?

She has a very artistic nature and if she does continue doing this would it really be impinging on you?

Your input is appreciated.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

If I may jump in....  Brownen, your daughter could use acrylic paints.  They dry very fast ,are easy to clean up, and you can heat set a bear like you descibed by tossing it in the dryer for 30 on a medium to high heat setting.

You can buy very inexpensive craft paints at any craft store.  For professional bear artist's I would only use professional high quality arcylic paints not craft paints when applying color by paint brush or airbrushing.

Artist bears, made from mohair or fur shoudl NEVER be put in a clothes dryer...just for the record. bear_thumb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I just wanted to say WELL DONE to Bronwen and Lisa!!!!!  Bronwen obviously thought enough of Lisa to want to ask her how she feels over her little one giving this technique a whirl...and Lisa was kind enough to explain how she feels over children playing and exploring, vs a full fledged, possible infringement from say a strong bear artist or worse, a large corporation. 

:hug:  Well done ladies!!!  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Lisa wrote:

...or are you saying an ACTUAL ARTIST TEDDY BEAR...that would be a worry if someone threw an artist ted in a dryer?? :rolleyes:

Yes, this is what I am saying....might give a poor bear a mighty head ache!...or crack his eyes...ouch!

I have to agree, Deb, that was very considerate of Brownen. bear_thumb

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Sorry Ladies I didn't get back to you earlier, trying to organise a surprise 60th and things just caught up with me!
Thankyou for the response Lisa, I am relieved that you don't mind.
Judi acrylic paints may be the go.  I have no idea with paint at all and so this maybe just the thing for her especially if we can heat set it in the dryer.
When she gives it a whirl which could be a year down the track with my daughter as she dabbles in so much  will post a picture for your!

Board footer