Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I have become so unorganized with my patterns.  I've been busy drawing up some new stuff and now I have a complete mess of body parts, arms, legs, pawpad, footpads, gussets, heads, ears...have I forgotten anything. 

I was putting everything nice and neat in labeled manilla envelopes but I don't think that's working for me anymore because I've started doing some mixing and matching.

How do you organized your various parts and pieces and keep some sense of sanity?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  I already looked and read through this topic in another post but since we have so many new people since then I thought I'd just ask again. 

Hugs,
Scattered in Scio

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Shantell,
     Sweetie, you CANNOT claim the Miss Disorganized title cuz it belongs to me LOL!!!  Living in a house that has to be clean all the time, has been torture.  I use zip lock bags for my patterns and put labels on them.  I put them all in a big Freezer zip lock bag.  That way I can see through the bags when I'm searching. Anyone have any better systems?

P.S. How's Skippy doing? 

hugs,

Brenda

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Haa-haa! This is a great thread. Shantell, it sounds like you're going to have some anime bears happening soon with all those mixed body parts.  bear_laugh I started naming my patterns way back when I first started designing them. My most-used one is called Bear 2000 because I designed it at the beginning of 2000. Anyway, I use the template plastic material to cut my pieces out of, and I label all the pieces with the name of the pattern. When I make modifications, I label them as a modification of that particular pattern. And I'm like Brenda: I put the pieces in a see-through Ziplock bag!

Debora

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I am in the process of drawing all my patterns on to differnt coloured card.  I also have a notebook which I write what parts I use on what bear, any darts or variations...then I look back to the notebook if I need to make the bear again and see its the blue bob pattern or what ever!
xo Sarah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use ziplock baggies and in those ziplock baggies including my original patterns are any alterations that I made (like a panda body or a "white belly")

Also - forgot to add, I also label the baggies bear_original

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

:hug: Shantell :hug:
PLASTIC SELF SEAL BAGS OF VARIOUS SIZES.
AvailAble on ebay so cheap....
They have helped me so much....

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I put my patterns in ziplock bags and I write the name of the bear I made with that pattern on the pattern itself so I will remember.
Or I would be totally lost. LOL

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I also use zip lock bags. Only problem is when I shrink one down or change it to a panda, etc. Because I tweak my patterns so much, I have TOO MANY zip locks. I finally started hanging them. I iuse a rolling clothing rack that you can get at KMart.. (the one at kmart can be adjusted from about 3 1/2 feet high to 6 feet. I punch a hole thru the zip lock in the upper corner, then use shower curtain hooks to hang them. I group the different variations together on one shower curtain hook. I also write on the outside what size and style as well as the names of the bears I have made with the pattern.

I will try to get some pics ready tonight. I just re-organized my sewing room and I really like how it works now. It beats digging thru boxes and bins like I was before
Sonya

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You lot are all far too organised...I have about 5 A4 folders...labelled all neatly...and in them is a great mess of pattern pieces which I have to sort through every time swearing alot...so I decide that this time I am going to put them all back in their correct file...do I do it...do I heck!!!   When I make new pattern..I might make several alterations to the pattern till I get the right one....but I always get mixed up with which one is the correct one...so I have to write 'DO NOT USE' on the old ones...but I can't throw them away....it's a wonder I ever finish a bear really!!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA
New Avenue Crew wrote:

Haa-haa! This is a great thread. Shantell, it sounds like you're going to have some anime bears happening soon with all those mixed body parts.  bear_laugh I started naming my patterns way back when I first started designing them. My most-used one is called Bear 2000 because I designed it at the beginning of 2000. Anyway, I use the template plastic material to cut my pieces out of, and I label all the pieces with the name of the pattern. When I make modifications, I label them as a modification of that particular pattern. And I'm like Brenda: I put the pieces in a see-through Ziplock bag!

Debora

That's What I do too. Try numbering your patterns, then you only have to number the pieces rather than write the whole name. It helps and you can keep track of which pieces you used on which bear easier too. I like to swap arms and legs around.
Kathy

Board footer