Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
sarahjane Brisbane

I have been using cord for eyelids on my bears and have been using super glue to glue them, but I was wondering if there is a better way as the superglue leaves a milky film on the eye and it is a pain having to scratch that off, (I use a toothpick for that!).

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to glue the eyelids without getting some on the eye  :doh:

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Sarah Jane,
if you go to the top of this thread and choose eyes/eyelids from the drop down menu next to the word library you may find some information in previous threads on this topic. I remember a variety of ways to make eyelids.
My problem with leather cord eyelids and glue is that I can't get them to go deep into the head. As soon as I stick them into the hole with glue on the end of the cord they get stuck there, at the surface. Can't pull them in further, weird. Perhaps I can put the glue deep inside the hole somehow.

sarahjane Brisbane

ooops I didn't know you were supposed to put glue on the cord first...I usually put the eyelid in place then drip the glue on...maybe thats what I'm doing wrong?   bear_rolleyes

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Nail Polish Remover worked good for me to take the glue off of the glass eye.  I think Shelli suggested it.   

Jane

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

If you use a long piece of cording... and have it go thru the entire head (from neck to eye and back) it's much easier.  Then just lift the cord up a little,  put your touches of glue on the eye and place the cording back.  I used a tacky glue that dries clear.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

One question about bringing the cording through the head... HOW DO YOU THREAD SUCH THICK CORDING??? My cording never would fit in the needle eye!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I tried that once and the cording threaded okay but I couldn't pull it through the mohair without making a big hole as it was then double the thickness!

Jane

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Use a big huge honkin' needle  bear_grin   Seriously... I use the German needles for that that I got elsewhere.... PM or email me for more details if you want!

sarahjane Brisbane

I use doll needles that you use for button jointing, and don't have any problems with holes or anything...my main problem is with the glue, I don't seem to be able to manage touches, more like great big globs...  bear_wacko

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I use the big old wonkin' needles too!  I found mine in the upholstery area of JoAnn Fabrics.  They are enormous!  I have one that is a foot long... really, they are just so funny!   :crackup:  I do have to flatten the cord a bit sometimes to get it threaded... I just scrunch it flat with my needle nose pliers.
bear_wub
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Kim! I couldnt imagine great wonking foot long needles anywhere near your wee petite dainty wee bears. :crackup:
Wendy bear_grin

sarahjane Brisbane

foot long? Hey, I need one of those for the days my eyes are bothering me, I could see that!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I cna't believe you use pliers to flatten it...I use my teeth  :crackup:  :crackup:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh you guys are SO funny! 
Teeth would CERTAINLY work just as well to flatten out leather cording as pliers would!   bear_wub  Definitely! Bite away!   :crackup:  bear_wub

Wendy... If my wee ones knew that a needle like that was coming at them they would run, blind and screaming, right out of the studio!  I only use the  huge needles on my BIG guys!  On minis, I stitch in the lids with floss.... only requires a large sewing needle... maybe two inches long, with a fairly normal sized eye.....

I find the big needles just really funny!!!!  My kids just crack up about them too.... they make me feel like I am fairy sized!  It says on the back of the package that hey are for tying springs to webbing, attaching buttons through cushions, etc.....   bear_wub  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Teeth!!!   :crackup: Blind mini's running hell for leather to escape. You guys crack me up!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
I reckon they could make a sitcom about a bearmakers workroom :crackup:
Wendy bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You guys are funny.

Like all creative things, there are ten million ways to do this.  But since my name came up, let me describe mine.

When I use leather cording, I cut a piece about twice as long as what will run across the eye.  I poke awl holes at each eye "corner" and put a dab of GEL SUPERGLUE on the tip of the cord, then insert it into the well-reamed, and fray-checked, hole.  I can usually insert it a good 1/2 inch or so.  I wait a second, then pull gently to make sure it's adhered to the stuffing inside the head before I move to the other "corner" and dab glue, stick into the hole, etc.

It may be important to note that I use not my fingers, but TWEEZERS, with very pointy, sharp ends, to really shove that glue-tipped cord end well into the hole!  It's particularly difficult to do this on the second of the two holes (there are two holes for upper, and two for lower, lids.)  I guess that has to do with less slack to work with, or something.  Dunno.  I just know I HATE doing the second hole!

After the cord ends are both glued and inserted well into the head and stuck to the stuffing, I run a thin line, or even just a bead (superglue SPREADS), of glue along the back/underside of the cording, where I want it to adhere to the glass eye. 

FYI, I ALWAYS get bleedout onto the glass eye, and use nail polish remover (pure acetone works best) and a needle tip to scrape the excess away once everything is dry.

I've moved to a new eyelid technique to alleviate some of these issues and while it's also imperfect, it's much easier.  Having said that, I'm keeping this one to myself!

:)

I've also used elastic cording with much the same method.  I find it nearly impossible to thread leather cording that's 2mm thru a head, even with a gigantic needle; 1mm I can do.  The elastic cording is easier and you can use a very long, single piece and thread it from hole to hole.  I find this method cumbersome and hard on my hands and it does require a little extra work to get those holes big and fixed and well-cemented with fraycheck first (for me, anyway!) before trying to stitch thru them.  Also, sometimes you'll find that it's just very, very hard to get that much textile (doubled cording, and your needle) thru firmly-packed stuffing.  Frustrating!  That's why I don't, personally, generally thread the cording thru the head, but rather, just use four pieces (one top, one bottom, for each eye.)

Good luck!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Kim said

I use the big old wonkin' needles too!

Oh Kim I am having a hard time with that around one around your precious wee ones.  Hmmm is there a

Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Beautiful Little Bears????

I've got my eye on you Kim

!

I took a class in leather work from a Native American lady in Oakhurst, which is the south entrance to Yosemite.  She chewed her leather strips that she used for stitching all the time...

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Shelli...I'll try it this way for a while and see of I find it any easier  bear_ermm   I think some of the problem is the 6 inch bear...I may have to try bigger bears  bear_grin

I've moved to a new eyelid technique to alleviate some of these issues and while it's also imperfect, it's much easier.  Having said that, I'm keeping this one to myself!

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Only share it when its perfect OK!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Once again thanks so much for your help.  bear_original

sarahjane Brisbane

OOhhh and I'll try the nail polish remover too (I can't believe I never thought of that  :doh: )

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You might want to try using pearl cotton for the eyelids.  If you run them through beeswax they will have some sheen and be a little stiffer.  I tried it on my 6" cat and I really like them.
Donna

Nicholasville, KY
Website

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   "wee bears running blind and screaming, right out of the studio! "

sarahjane Brisbane

"wee bears running blind and screaming, right out of the studio! "

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I'm not going to get that picture out of my head in a hurry!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Donna wrote:

You might want to try using pearl cotton for the eyelids.  If you run them through beeswax they will have some sheen and be a little stiffer.  I tried it on my 6" cat and I really like them.
Donna

I have done this on my needlefelted critters before and it worked wonderful (I am going to try some experiments with other types of eyelids and things so I will let you all know how it goes! )

peanut.jpg

Here is an example, this is Peanut - he has perle cotton eyelids (I put a drop of superglue on them to stiffen them and adhere them to the eye.

sarahjane Brisbane

(I put a drop of superglue on them to stiffen them and adhere them to the eye.

Would someboddy please tell me how you manage a drop!!!  :doh:  :doh:  bear_angry

Peanut is a really cute bear.....I will try the Perle cotton on my next one....Thank you  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

sarahjane... are you using superglue GEL?  That's really the key.  I use the LocTite brand and swear by it, even though it seems to run out very quickly.  Very easy to control and apply and has a needle-like tip.

If you use plain old superglue (the runny, liquid kind,) you'll get a huge mess indeed!

sarahjane Brisbane

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  Shelli I didn't know you could get superglue as a gel!! Thanks for that looks like a trip to the shops is in order  :dance:  (obviously I don't get out much  bear_whistle  )

Pages:

Board footer