Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Aleta,
     Just wondering if Max has made up to Gracie yet?  Are you getting all your bears made or is he getting in to all your things LOL!.   If you have a new picture, we'd love to see how he's grown.

hugs,

Brenda

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Brenda,

I received a lovely email late last week from Aleta...here's what she said about  Max...

"Max is wonderfully, fabulously and marvelously fun!  When I'm feeling
like I'm on the brink, Max puts things into perspective.  Watching a tiny
little kitten chase my two big cats around is hilarious.  The hissing and
growling has stopped.  :o)  Now they're into running up and down the
hall.......it sounds like a heard of elephants with jingly bells.  I took a
big box and cut windows and a door in it.  They take turns getting in and
batting at each other through all the openings.  A toy box full of toys and
they like a silly old box with goofy windows."

Sounds like he's becoming King of his castle, doesn't it.

Hugs,
Shantell

P.S.  No pictures though...darn it!!!

Thanks Shantell.  Silly me, I should have just emailed you LOL!  I'm really glad he is doing so well and the other kitties are okay with him!  Is Skippy going to have more kittens?

hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Max1.jpgThought you would tempt me back to TTing by asking about Max did ya?  Well, it worked.  I actually popped in earlier.....stealing a moment here and there when I can.  I just have one question.  What was I thinking when I agreed to: Having a wedding in my garden, doing a bear show a fourteen hour drive away, hosting the Portland Paws picnic, remodeling our powder room, texturing and painting our kitchen, hosting a bridal shower and having my sister visit for a week beginning July 4th? 

Max is the biggest blessing amidst all the chaos.  He makes me laugh.  He makes me sit still for 20 minutes at a time while he cat naps on my lap.  He purrs to calm my blood pressure when it goes much higher than it should.  Max is God's way of telling me to slow down.  A very wise one....God.  He gives me kittens when I need them most.

Here is the latest picture of Max.  This was taken yesterday when our temperatures here in the East Hills of Portland reached over 100 degrees.  I had the air conditioning on and Max was enjoying it immensely!

Bless you Brenda, Shantell, and Renae!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Oh Aleta,
    Max looks like he's grown quite a bit but doesn't he look comfy LOL!   I'm so glad he has found his place among the other kitties and is doing his job of looking after you as well.  I agree that there isn't anything quite so soothing as a purring kitty.  Good job Max!

I knew you were busy with wedding plans and bear shows but I had no idea, just how busy you are.  I can't imagine the stress you are under.  When is the wedding?  It will be nice for you to have your sister as company, so long as she's willing to paint the bathroom LOL! 

You are driving 14 hours to a bear show - what were you thinking and where on earth is the show? Good luck with everything and we miss you! 

hugs,

Brenda

P.S.  Renae is right - Max looks fabulous with the furniture!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh my...little Max is growing soooooooooo fast.  He looks so incredibly comfy and cute and sweet and...and...and...  I'm just getting all teary  bear_cry  in a good kind of way.

Thanks so much for posting a photo of that sweetie.  Now, how are Ger, Cheri and King Oscar, the mighty?

Oh...and I have no idea about Skippy.  She's definitely not "with child" from her earlier encounter; however, I'm not sure about from her second.  She's been staying VERY close to the house and hardly ever leaves.   She keeps trying to come in the house and is very curious about the great indoors.  Time will tell...

Shantell,
     Are you happy that Skippy wants to come in the house?  That would solve a lot of problems if she does have another litter, and make it much easier for you to capture her for a visit to the vets (for spaying), once the next kitties are gone. 

I'm glad I posted about Max, as now we all get to see what a "big handsome boy" he's becoming.  It's wonderful that he's settled so nicely into his new home and he sure looks like he won the jackpot, when it comes to a nice home with special people.   I'm sure you miss him, Shantell, but it must make you feel wonderful that he's obviously a very happy kitty LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

What a cute little cat Max is! I agree he matches the furniture very well. One really cool puss!

Hugs Jane.  :hug:

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Miss you Aleta  bear_cry   bear_cry  Max is adorable  bear_wub   bear_wub I made my husband look at the picture even though he is stressed and getting ready for work, I said it would make him feel better  bear_tongue 
Aleta, I need to paint my powder room and living room and kitchen, show pictures if you can ,especially the texturing. Hope Max keeps you from getting too stress, you sure are busy, hey, I'm on summer vacation from school starting Friday, I could fly down and help .......  :hug:   :hug:

Portland, Oregon
Website

Bathafter.jpgbathbefore2.jpgBathbefore.jpgYou girls aren't the first to recognize that I seem to pick cats that match my furnishings.  Yet another oddball trait of mine.   bear_tongue

Shari,
I love texturing and painting walls!  It's really pretty easy.  I wouldn't recommend using the new products they have on the market though.  I think they have a glue binder in them and they set waaaaaay too fast for my liking.  At $45.00 a gallon it's a waste of money.....in my opinion.  A word of warning too....that stuff doesn't go very far.  I use just plain wall spackle, a textured roller cover and a trowel.  A box of spackle from Home Depot or Lowes will cost you about $7.00 and it goes a long way. 

I've done the texturing two different ways.  The first was in our home in Seattle.  There I just used a trowel to put the "mud" on the wall and kind of scoot it around leaving light peaks and valleys.  It gave a lovely Italian tuscan look especially when I used a glaze to age it.  In this latest powder room project I used a textured roller cover and then used the trowel to smooth the finish similar to venetian plaster.  The look is a lovely distressed finish.  With certain types of paint it tends to look like stone.  It's really fabulous.  I like it so much I'm going to do the same thing in my kitchen only this time I'm going to glaze the finish so it will look a little more old country French. 

Another thing.  I would recommend using a product to take the gloss finish off of semi-gloss or glossy finishes before applying spackle to a wall.  TSP works well.  Also, use a primer after the spackle is thoroughly dry.  Paint stores will tint your primer these days so you will most likely only need one coat of paint.  Unless, of course, you are painting red.  Red needs several coats to get the true color.  These techniques take a little effort but they're well worth it.

I'll post before and after pictures of the powder room in just a bit...I have to go download and upload....or is it upload and download? the pictures. 

Aleta

P.S.  Sorry for that flash in the mirror.  I couldn't get a good picture without the flash.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow...what a wonderful transformation.  Isn't it wonderful what a little elbow grease and paint can do for a room.  I love it!!!

bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub

Portland, Oregon
Website

Thank you, Shantell!  I love, love, love doing projects around the house.  When we bought this house it had wallpaper everywhere.  It wasn't pretty wallpaper either!  I took it all down and was dismayed to find that the walls weren't primed properly before hanging so along with the wallpaper came chunks of wallboard.  One project leads to another, and another, and another.......

Thankfully, I have a husband that sees my vision.   bear_original  bear_original

Aleta

Aleta,
     I love what you've done.  I really wish I was able to do house stuff.  I finally figured out it's because it's "too big" visually.  I can only focus on specific things and trying to figure out what an entire room will look like after decorating is absolutely NOT within my capabilities.  Heck, I can't even pick a paint colour.  Three times I tried, three times it was dreadful and I went back to plain cream walls.  Just call me inept.  I would love to see pics of your whole house, although it would just depress me, I'm sure. LOL!  Good luck with all your  projects.  When is the wedding?

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, what a lovely powder room indeed!  Smashing, truly!  Aleta, you have a beautiful and graceful neck.  Even covered in drywall compound. Or whatever.

Your kitty is also a charmer; what a wonderful pose, totally "blissed out" as Renae said.  And his collar is darling!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Aleta,

Max is a little honey and looks very much at home on the sofa.

Your powder room is looking lovely and will be great when  you have finished.
Good luck with that.
Your life sounds so busy Aleta and hope that you are not too tired and stressed out, with all you have to do!

We are in the process of painting our bedroom and it is looking really great and can't wait until it is finished.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

Portland, Oregon
Website

Thank you for all the kind thoughts.   bear_flower  If I stop and think about all the projects and functions it all gets to be a little overwhelming. The days are going by so fast! 

My sister arrives on Tuesday and my Mom is arriving on Friday and bringing her best friend.  Oh, that reminds me I have to move all the bears for the San Jose show out of the lilac guest room.  I guess they'll have to go in the workout room.  Lord knows I haven't used that room in a few weeks.  No need to really....I've been running around like a chicken 24/7!

The San Jose show is July 21-23.  I've decided to fly rather than drive because the Portland Paws picnic that I'm hosting at my house is July 29.  I sent out 102 invitations!  I'm going with a tropical theme and have asked the members and guests to dress the part and bring their bears dressed too.  It'll be great!

My daughters wedding is August 19th.  The RSVP's have been coming in and we're finding that people we thought wouldn't come.....will be!  The more the merrier!  The last of the guests leaves on August 27th so I'll be full on bearsmithing after that date for the Lincoln City show in October.

Well, it's 8am and I have a date with 30 gallon size pots of flowers.  The back garden is almost full......finally!  I think I've planted around 300 or so plants already.  Then it's on to the front garden!  Wahoo!

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Aleta,
     You have a schedule that would choke anyone!  Good luck with it all.  Can't wait to see pictures, when you have finished decorating your house for the wedding.  I hope you have a wonderful time, visiting with your family!  Happy July 4th!  Canada Day is today!

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer