Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi,

My poor little girl cat has not been eating for a few days and being sick, I took her to the vets yesterday and she has a temperature and an inflamed tummy.  The vet gave her an injection to stop her throwing up (although she has twice today despite not eating anything at all).  She has given me anti-biotic tablets to give her twice a day for 8 days!  Here lies the problem - my cat is not the best of cats for doing this, she gets really nervous and yet for the rest of the time is really soppy.

I can't crush the tablet up in food, because she is not eating and I also know she gets suspicious and will not touch it, and I have another cat and don't want him to eat it!!  I tried to give her her first tablet this morning, armed with long sleeved clothes and it was really hard to get her to open her mouth.  I try to put my thumb and first finger either side of her mouth but it only opens a little of the front of her mouth so if the pill does get in it just comes out again as she struggles  bear_ermm   I know when the vets do it they seem to get the jaw right open and it drops right in - have any of you cat owners got any tips for trying to make this as quick and easy for my poor cat?? 

She gets in such a pickle - it took me 10 attempts before I got the pill down her this morning and now she just hides when she sees me - going to be 'fun' trying to do it again tonight  bear_shocked   I already have the scratches to show from this morning!

Also any ideas how I can get her to eat, I thought of doing some boiled rice and chicken later to try and tempt her.

Thanks for any ideas,
Catherine

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Catherine...sorry to hear your kitty is sick, I hope she's on the mend soon...
Cat's aren't good patients are they??? I had a pet shop for a short while and was constantly giving animals tablets..and the best way with a cat is to wrap it up quite firmly, as you would a new born baby with it's front legs down against its body..it's best if you have someone hold the "bundle" and then place your hand across the top of the bridge of the nose place your thumb & fingers in either side of the mouth and open the top jaw by pulling it up and back, the mouth has to open, then push the tablet down as far into the throat as you can...she won't like it but if someone else holds her firmly you shouldn't have too much trouble...goodluck, hope she's better soon..

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I find it helps if you coat the tablet with oil to help it slide down better. As well, maybe try getting a little jar of liver baby food...my cats would love a treat like that.

Marion

Celena Oxford

Hi Catherine

So sorry to hear about your cat...i hope she will get well soon... :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs
Celena

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hi Catherine,

So sorry to hear about your little one. Hope she is better soon.  I just recently had to take my little girl in too.  The vet also had to show me how to administer the pills. He gave me a little eye dropper and put some water in it so as soon as you drop the pill in, instead of trying to get it completely down her throat before it comes out, you just put a little water in right after the pill.  The reflex is to swallow the water and the pill goes down with less stress on both of you. 
The other option, which worked best for me, was to smash the pill in a bowl and add about a half teaspoon of tuna and mix it up.  My little one ate it immediately.  I know you said she didn't want to eat but maybe tuna would make a difference.  Good luck. Hope she gets better soon.  :hug:

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

Okay, here's my pill-administering-routine-for-the-desperate. I have Maine Coon cats, who at roughly twice the size of average household tabbies laugh off the "tuck under the arm" routine and go *through* the towel they are wrapped in.

Step one: Find comfy denim jeans, or tough canvas pants. Long sleeved shirts help but make sure they aren't too baggy. If your cat is really a biter, leather gloves may be necessary but I've found that I'm better off with the extra sensitivity and a few near (or not near enough) misses. Actually, that not-near misses wasn't the coons -- that was my grumpy Egyptian mau. He's barely got any teeth left and still managed to put a hole in my thumb. Brat.

Step two. Find a well lit, small room with limited kitty hiding spaces. I prefer the bathroom, but closets work well. Put yourself, the cat and the pills in the room. The cat will be suspicious and probably wedge himself behind the toilet. Wait a few minutes for the cat to calm down, take the opportunity to place the pills needed on the counter (you don't want to be opening the bottle while wrangling the cat).

Step three. The tricky part. Remove cat from hiding place. Place cat firmly on the floor near the counter where the pills are. Having all four feet on the ground makes it harder for the cat to turn and scratch but easier for the cat to run so keep hold of the scruff of the neck or a hand under the chest. Sit on the cat. Actually, kneel, such that either leg is on each side of the cat so that you can squeeze the cat between your legs. Don't forget to cross your feet so that he can't back out. Your cat will not be amused by this manuver and will need a few minutes to realize you are serious, but luckily you have both hands free to thwart escape attempts. (I said this was the procedure for the desperate, didn't I?)

Step four. Once your cat has decided that you are insane and he needs to wait it out use one hand to grab the pill and the other hand to open the cats mouth. I suggest lift the top jaw rather than prying the top from bottom, but whatever works best for you. Put the pill as far back as you can in the cats mouth. You will not have much time. Hold the cat's mouth closed around the pill -- VERY IMPORTANT! Putting a slimy, spit out pill in a cat's mouth is much less fun then the original dry pill. Point the cat's nose up and wait for gravity to induce swallowing.

Step five. Feel free to engage in any of the variety of behaviors that are supposed to induce a cat to swallow. I myself prefer the stroke the throat and mutter curses method. I've also heard of startling the cat into swallowing by suddenly blowing into it's face (like the cat isn't pissed enough at this point). Eye droppers of water seem like they might help but most of my cats take the pill giving routine as an opportunity to drool profusely so I'm not sure that would make a difference. Wait until you feel the cat swallow twice. Really.

Step six. Let cat go. He'll probably take three steps, sit down and start grooming. Don't open the door yet. You want to make sure that pill doesn't reappear. This is a good time to start counting your own war wounds, which is why I like to do this in the bathroom -- I can start cleaning up while keeping an eye on the kitty. Usually the pill is spit out in a minute or so. It's also important that your cat not associate getting free from the leg hold with getting immediately free from the room.

Step seven. Nurse your guilt. Trust me, your cat will forgive you before you stop feeling guilty about having to manhandle him. It's okay, cats have been selectively breeding humans for that trait for thousands of years now. :doh:

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

You girls are scaring me!  I've never had to give any of my cats a pill.  After your descriptions on how to do it, I don't think I want to either.  I've only had to give them liquid medicine.  Now that's a fun one!  I think more liquid goes on me than IN the cat.  Have you ever had to give your cat Imodium?  It's actually kind of funny because the Imodium is mint green and it foams once it hits kitties mouth.  They end up with a mouth full of bubbles!
:crackup:

Catherine,
I do wish you all the best getting the pills down so your kitty will get better.  bear_flower 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Hi Catherine,

I have a little very nervous cat, that unfortunately is often not well, and like you I have to try and administer

tablets to. Sometimes even though she is off her food.....I can often tempt (her with a little amount  about a

teaspoon of pilchards in tomato sauce (tinned) mashed up, plus crushed tablet......on the occassions that I

can't get her to eat.......I have a device which I purchased from my vet, a bit like a small pea

shooter, which holds the tablet .......I then wrap her in a towel...(she really hates me).....prise her mouth

open and fire!!!.......I then hold her jaw together until she swallows!!!...it usually works.

Hope this helps a little, and that your poorly cat is soon better!

Hugs,

Yvonne.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Aleta,
     I've you've never given a pill to a cat, than count your lucky stars.  It's as individual as each cat is.  One of the cats we had, would literally see the bottle of pills and come and open his mouth - no kidding!  Our orange kitty, Thumper, is vicious when it comes to doing anything - even eardrops.  When his shots were updated a few months ago, it took the vet, her tech, AND hubby and I and it still took three tries.  If he gets seriously ill, then he has won a free ticket to heaven because it is just way too stressful for him to go to the vets.  I have to give eyedrops to my 22 lb cat, Bear.  I just pick him up, plop him on his back on the counter, give him his drops and then he gets a treat - simple routine and he loves his treats. 

Catherine,  just try and figure out the quickest method and stick to that routine.  In my experience, once they know what to expect, even if they don't like it, they will get better as the week goes on.  Good luck!

Yvonne, I've never heard of that kind of device - what a good idea!  I must look into it to see if they have them here.

hugs,

Brenda

Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks so much to you all for your great tips - Erika you did make me laugh, I could just picture you with your cats in the bathroom!

Well, I tried it again this evening and this time I wrapped my kitty in a towel, although one paw got free and got my thumb - ow just where I'm using it to type right now!!  But good news I managed to get the pill down quickly.  I think it was a bit more luck than skill, but I just hope it helps her feel better - this is now the 5th day without eating..  I will have a look for the pill 'shooter' thingymajig in the pet store tomorrow.

I have tried her with her favourite tuna but she just looks at it and will not eat yet..  she's been sick 3 times today  bear_sad   I hate seeing my puddy tats not feeling well.

Anyway 1 day of tablet giving gone - 7 more to go!!  I'll let you know if my hands survive!!  Otherwise she is such a gentle little girl!  I certainly wear my jeans and long sleeves!!

Thanks again
Catherine
xx

sarahjane Brisbane

Catherine after reading Erika's description I can only say GOOD LUCK

I hope your cat gets better soon.

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Catherine,
It sounds like you have lots of advise and I hope it helps. My cat Jasper is particulary against tablets and even the vet has to use the pill popper thingy. We had a cat for 18 years before this one and we could just stand over her and open her top jaw back and drop the pill in, so easy. I hope kitty improves quickly.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

I just heard about some pharmacies that convert a lot of different cat meds into a gel that you can put on their ears that absorbs into the blood stream. It's called "compounding". Check out this website: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm … cleid=3075. Look at the chart at the bottom under "gels". This may help you.
I have a friend that uses this method and she just loves it.
Good luck!
Aerianna

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

My vet gave us a piller popper thing.  It looks like a long syringe except the end has a rubber slotted tip that the pill slips nicely into.  You barely open the kitties mouth...press the end of the "syringe" and down it goes past the part of their tongue that allows them to gag it back up.

We had to use it on our Murphy a couple times...and it worked great.  He weighed about 23 pounds at time and let me tell you wrestling 23 pounds of flying fangs and needle sharp claws was no easy task.   The  pill popper thing worked wonders for the short time we needed it.

Good luck...I hope your furry baby gets better soon.  I hate sick pets and sick kids when they can't talk to you and say..."owie mamma."

Hugs

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

crushed tablet and mix with a teaspoon of cream, cusard or condensed milk.
otherwise it is nurse the war wounds.

mj Pinney Bears
North Carolina
Website

mj Banner Sponsor

When my kitties need pills I have to do just what Erika does except I coat the pill with a little bit of butter.
I hope your kitty feels better soon!

Antwerp, Belgium

I managed to get her pill down this morning, but just tried again wrapping her up and thought the pill had gone down but then it kept coming out again once I'd let her go.  I had rubbed her throat and thought she had swollled.

The vet said she had a temperature and had an inflamed tummy probably due to a change in food, I went from a light version (Hills) to adult and seems her tummy didn't like it.

She is not eating and hardly drinking still and not going to the toilet... I now have a bit thumb and a soggy pill I couldn't get down her  bear_sad   She is now in a pickle and will not let me get near her, I managed it so well this morning....

Catherine
x

I'm back!!  I just tried to crush it up and put it with a little bit of malt paste that I give them against fur balls (abrown gooey stuff!), this is the one thing she will take and she licked most of it off my fingers whilst hiding under the chair from me - her bad mum!!  Do you think this is ok to put it with this paste?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, I think it's great if that's an easier way to get the pill down.  One of my dogs has a strong liking for that same stuff (hairball preventative) and it's how I get pills down him.  Hope your kitty gets better!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Having done this many times and having read all the great advice already given all i can add is my sympathy! sincerely!  the worst bite i ever got was from giving a cat a pill!
mine hates to be laid on her back towel or no...she feels more in control if i let her sit with her back to me in the crook of my arm..i can still control her that way. hope shes feeling better soon!  deb  ps i had one cat that loved sweet ( with cream and sugar ) tea..and i let her have it when she was sick and wouldnt eat anything else..cats that cant smell ( ie stuffed noses or whatever) wont usually eat by the way...

Board footer