Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Doesn't that sound like a 'B' movie title?  Help!!  It's happening here! bear_shocked  bear_shocked  :crackup: bear_whistle 

I swear, there are thousands of june bugs swarming all over the driveway, cars, doors, windows, house, etc, etc. bear_shocked  bear_shocked Not to mention the cloud of them buzzing around every available inch of air space in the driveway around our farm light!  It's scary out there.........heaven forbid if we needed to get to our cars! bear_sad  A person would be covered in june bugs in seconds, they are that bad!!!!  Darren had to go down and flip the fuse for the farm light just to try to get them to disappear.  Not working yet.  I was playing with the flashlight in the window of the door and the dumb insects swarmed said door.  So, slowly moved the light around on the glass, and they followed it!! 

Totally icky!!

The worst part is they are also coming down the fireplace, which just happens to be right next to that light outside.  Then they squeeze past the doors on the fireplace and get in my house!!  I'll be vacuuming dead bugs up forever in the morning bear_ermm .......

Aaaaaackkk! bear_shocked   One just dive bombed me here on the computer.......at the other end of the house! bear_shocked   I'm going to bed and I'm gonna hide in my bedroom with the lights off.  Oh the joys of country living bear_wacko  bear_wacko ......

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Well I know of June Buggies, there like little cars you drive around. Not heard of June Bugs before, they sound terrible  bear_shocked

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ooooh, yuk! What a horrible thing to happen! I'd hate that....

I've seen those flying ant thingies swarming out of the ground, and it was pretty scary. I was sat on the grass in the park I swear that for half-an-hour the air was filled with them as they all came out of holes in the earth and swarmed upwards - yuk yuk yuk!

:hug:

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Tracy,
We had the same kind of thing happen last year, bugs swarming everywhere. At one stage we thought it was starting to rain, but no just raining BUGS!!!  bear_cry Keep your head down untill they pass.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Hugs Jane.   bear_grin

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Yes, the June bugs are bad this year.  They drive me crazy, but my cat, Clarisse, loves them.  She doesn't eat them, but she sure loves to chase them.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, I HATE bugs and any discussion about them but TRACY.... your experience horrifies me! I'm glad I didn't read your post before I went to bed last night! I'd have woken up screaming and dancing around on my bed....hubs wouldn't have liked that!!!

Here is a photo of said June Bug.... they are about what an inch, inch and half long, Tracy? I haven't had the priveledge of seeing them up close lately!
other13.jpg

Tracy - your story reminds me of a movie about Killer Bees and another about Spiders.... both similar to Alfred Hitchcok's movie The Birds. These creatures getting into people's houses, cars, attacking them and causing destruction and death. So NOT pleasant!

Tracy - you are welcome to come stay with me until they go away! We have deer flies however..... though not in huge masses. Those little suckers just swarm, dive bomb your head and bite HARD!!!!

Tracy - my skin is crawling just thinking of those beetles coming down your chimney, not being able to get to your car and the sound of them bouncing off the screens and windows. Here it's just a plunk now and then. It must sound like a hail storm on your house!

I hope all is peaceful there this morning!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh dear....a cross between

The Birds by Hitchcock

and

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

a108.gif

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tracy,
     We had them really bad this year, too, but they are all gone now, thank goodness.  I had to get up every morning and sweep them off the porch, there were so many - like a cemetary really.  Our one cat that died a couple of years ago, used to love to catch and kill them, but the two lazy sods I have now, don't even bat an eye at them LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh ICK!  Now, I kinda like beetles... just to look at though... not TOUCH.... but those ones are not very pretty, are they?  We get lady bug swarms in late summer/early fall... but they are much prettier!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

This fellow is happy to eat as many junebugs as I can catch for him!
They're full of fat & protein - nature's candy  bear_tongue  bear_grin
He's crunching one up in this picture.

21052122_dd75e186bd.jpg?v=0

I don't mind the junies much - it's the tiny gnats who fly THROUGH the
window screens & bite me, that I can't stand!  bear_angry

Iowa
Website

We made it through the night!!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: No need to send out the troops Renae.....although, you could send them here after dark and have them eliminate the June bugs!  They will be back (say that with an Arnold Swartzeneiger--sp?--inflection)!! :crackup:

Last year we had this problem for a few days in the summer.......it's just a bit unbelievable there are so many.....not normal at all! bear_shocked  It must be something with the weather being just right for massive amounts of june bugs to hatch, breed, whatever they do. 

My barn cats normally do like to chase them, but there are soooo many, even the cats are hiding from them.  GROSS!!  They don't bite, but they will land on you and they feel so gross on your skin.  Ewwwww........(we need a totally grossed out smiley for this one!)

Daphne--I'm moving in!! bear_grin  bear_grin I sure wish I could, but then the june bugs would take over in my absence.  Darn it!! :crackup:  And it DOES sound like a hail storm bear_shocked ......... 

I cannot believe how many did manage to get into the house last night.  I will be armed with the vacuum hose for quite some time today sucking up all the carcasses.  And they will be back tonight!!  YUK!!  They can sure squeeze through the tiniest cracks bear_sad .......

And in the fall, we get another swarm of the Asian beetles...or orange lady bugs.  They are kind of pretty though, but they do bite!  These like to swarm around in the daytime when the sun's out and nice and warm.  Makes it hard to do any work outside then.  Last year I was painting the stall doors on the barn and getting attacked by them.  Lots of them got 'painted' onto the doors and they kept trying to crawl under my clothes and stuff.  ICK!! bear_tongue  bear_sad

Wish me luck tonight with the second round in the June bug battle!!

:hug:
Tracy

Iowa
Website

Kim, I will be more than happy to send you a lifetime's supply of June bugs!  Your little guy can have a feast......forever!! :crackup:  :crackup:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh Kim!  What is your little lizard guy's name!?  I love his coloring!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

BLEAH!!!!  You have my sympathies!!!   bear_shocked   I detest June bugs, but they're inextricably intertwined with memories of being at my grandma's and sitting on the front porch swing at night.  Yep, swing away ....and dodge the suckers, and then the gut wrenching crunch, crunch, crunch of the cats as they feasted. 

Even Mister's had several 'feasts' with his motor purring away!!!  He can have them all as far as I'm concerned  bear_shocked  yak!!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

oh no! I am NOT happy to hear how many June bugs there are this year. Every year in the summer, they swarm my fig tree. THOUSANDS of them. and hundreds get on each fig and suck them dry. YUCK.
Sonya

Iowa
Website

Hey gals!  I've just discovered cats aren't the only things to eat them......well besides the chickens of course!  My big dog, Golly, has been munching away and leaving slingers with beetle parts stuck in them.  UGG!! GROSS!!!! bear_shocked   bear_shocked  :crackup:  :crackup:

sarahjane Brisbane

YUK

bear_shocked  bear_shocked

They look like the christmas beetles (at least thats what I call them) we get here in December. They sometimes come in all different colours though.

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

That lizard it too cute, what a wild colour.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

LOL thanks for the compliments on Mugwump! He's a Tokay gecko -
he was free in the paper - if I didn't take him he was going to be 'released'
into the MAssachusetts wilderness.  bear_cry But he's awesome. He QUACKS if you
upset him & sings when he's happy. Here is what he sounds like:

http://www.gekkota.com/assets/multimedia/tokaycall.wav

Tracy I DO think that Junebugs never last very long - they'll be gone soon!
I'd be happy to trade our just-woken-up deerflies though.... & the daddylonglegses
who are HUGE this year, with their bodies the size of my pinky fingernail - BLECH

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Tooooooo cute!  I'd say he was a cross between a baritone and tenor.

Board footer