Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey Ladies.

Thought I would ask this question because I've just finished altering a head pattern of mine. The pattern was good to start with, but I wanted just a little more forehead.

Didnt turn out soo well. I knew I should've tried a mock-up 1st.

Looks like my problem was I made the gusset too wide at a part and now it looks funny.
Thank goodness I'll be able to fix it.

SO how do you design your gussets? Any tips or tricks to share?

I draw the side head 1st. Then with some thread or string, I measure the length from nose to back of the head, and it's this length that determines how long my gusset will be.

Anything after that I just guess and hope for the best

sarahjane Brisbane

Well I have a very scientific formula I use to design my gussets........... I just eyeball it then guess  :crackup:  (I draw half then fold the paper in half to draw the other side) So far this has worked for me but I'm sure there is a technically correct way to design gussets....I will watch this thread with interest.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

I do the same as you and sarahjane, but I don't use string.  I use the actual side piece to make out my pattern for the gusset, angling the side piece as neccessary to get the sloping I want.  I also fold my paper first, then draw the gusset pattern and cut and unfold.

Kimberly W.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I use wire which I can shape.  I measure the length from the nose and then put a little bend in it where the head starts and then continue to the back of the neck.  I then take it and shape it how I want.  Draw one side and flip it to draw the other side.  Works really good for me. 

I also do this with the foot pads adding 1/4" for larger bear seam allowance and 1/8" for small bear seam allowance.

Hope this makes sense!

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I use wire too, then draw one side on folded paper and cut out.

I might be wrong, but wasn't the question about how to vary head shapes with different types of gussets?

I'm struggling with this myself, and would appreciate any advice. I've got the snout down, but I'm wondering about varying the width of the crown and the backof the head--I produced one disastrously flat-headed prototype with a gusset that was too narrow at the back!

Nancy Tilberg's book even suggests darts in the gusset for a rounded head.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

SaraJayne said

I just eyeball it then guess

Yep- way to go.....

when I completely redesign my gusset I fold the sketched pattern in half so that I can draw the same curve on both sides.....I hate it when a leg curve or arm curve or gusset curve aren't the same- and they ALWAYS seem off to me-

It's an eye thing....

So by folding the pattern's rough draft in half I can make sure both halves are the same, and not buy into that eye thing...

Then the decision is does the part of the gusset that goes from the nose back-well how far back?  Does it stay narrow till the forehead and then open up or what?  that's always a tough call-because it is a golden opportunity for me to have the sides lop sided.

So once I decide and fold the mock gusett-again and make sure that I get the lines the same on both sides....

Then I can redraw every thing again with smoother lines

oh dear, this doesn't make any sense does it.....

ignore me.....

clare14 Country Bears
England

Yep, eyeball, me too!!   bear_grin    Fly by the seat of my pants always!!   :crackup:  :crackup:  I don't measure either, just draw the gusset to a 'point', then it never ends up too short or too long!!   Works for me everytime!!!     :hug:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Yep Clare, I don't measure either and it seems to work but like Dilu I have to do the fold thing because I hate it if the curves are different on each side.

Re reading the question I noticed that you were asking about getting more forehead. I do that by changing my side head shape or making the gusset slightly wider ( it depends if you want the forehead higher or wider )

:doh:  does anyone understand this?? It's hard to explain in words.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm understanding girls!

Yes, I also fold my paper when I'm drawing my gusset. It's much easier that way.

I guess it is a matter of guessing. At least that's what you all do. I wonder if there is some secret we don't know and no-one wants to share! Maybe just good eyes!  :crackup:

Keep the ideas coming ladies.....Those gussets can be tough!

ellen ontario, canada

check jennifer laing's book - she discusses this but i don't have it handy....sorry!!
bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I find that to alter the shapes of my heads, its the side head that gets the treatment. Not the gusset.
I only change the gusset if I want it to be wider.
For a more pronounced forehead I draw straight up from the eye mark on the side head piece.
For my platypodes I use darts on the side head pieces to get a more rounded head.
I also always measure. I am unable to draw a straight line. It always slopes to an angle ,so measuring and using rulers and set squares and that sort of thing is a must for me.
Wendy bear_thumb

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wendy,

thanks!

I guess so eh? Don't change to gusset.! I guess everytime I change my head pattern, I also change the gusset. Never once occurred to me to leave the thing alone.

Thanks for the tip!

platypodes  :crackup:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Platypodes is a weird word, but right!! Take it from an old Greek Major bear_thumb

Platypus means 'flat foot'. Flat feed are platypodes. True. Honest. bear_cool

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heather, I do measure with a flexible ruler and also do the fold-in-half trick to make both sides the same.  Wendy is absolutely correct when she says to make changes to the side head pieces to make the forehead higher.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Sue Ann. Sometimes, working in 3D is really hard to wrap my brain around.

Board footer