Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Do you find that a certain size bear seems to sell better than others?  I am working on a larger bear and was just curious about this subject.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Great topic. I think you do tap into a different market over the sizes. There are collectors who only buy small bears for example. I don't sell enough to have an opinion so would love to hear from someone who makes in lots of sizes. I wonder if small sells well over the net as the postage is cheaper?!!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

It is a good question Milli. The majority of our bears are in the size range from 13" -16" and they seem to do fine, however I have noticed a huge market in the mini bears. we personally do not make the small small bears. Also I have notice the very large ones over 20" seem to draw alot of interset and I cannot see where you can go wrong with a larger bear. Our latest pattern is 21" and I am working on another pattern that will be 28". I love the larger bears as they are wonderful to pick up and cuddle.

Hugs Louise

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I too have seen a market for the little bears - perhaps the hubbies won't be bothered or think their wives spent as much if they bring home little bears??? There IS something very sweet about the little ones! I tend to be drawn toward bears over 18" - they aren't as common and some I've seen are just fantastic. If I'm going to spend a big lump of money I like to go all out and have something to show for it.

Having said all of that.... I sell mostly 10-18 bears and find they all do well but when I have a big (18-24") bear it's always the first to go at a show.

Does this help???? bear_rolleyes I'm thinking not!:lol:
Daphne

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Our bears range in size from about 6-22" usually, and I find that they all have their place with collectors.  Small bears can be very appealing to people who have too many bears and not enough space to expand their collections.  The smaller bears are also appealing to people with limited budgets, as a 6" bear will almost always be less expensive than a 16" or 26" bear by the same artist.  That having been said, some of our most enthusiastic sales have been for BIG bears.   I don't really think you can go wrong with any size, stick with what you like and what does well for the venues you sell in.  If you're not sure what will do best for you personally, all you can do is try a variety of sizes out and see how it goes!

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Millie and everyone,

Millie, I love big size bear !
I don't own one yet but as a bear collector(sorry don't have an artist bear yet)I would love to adapt big size 20" or more,  I like to hug them bear_laugh 
I'm making 7"-15" size now , and I only sold 6bears in the past, I sold
5 of 15"bear and only 1 of 10" bear.
I really don't sell enough to have an opinion bear_sad  but I would love to try
a bigger bear too !
And as kelly said, I will try to make
a variety of sizes to find out which goes best for me.

bear hugs/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think it just depends on the collector.  Some like the smaller ones because of space limitations, then I have a customer that doesn't want anything under 25 inches.  My bears range in size from about 7" to over 30" and at shows, all sizes sell; however, the bigger bears usually go FIRST.  For whatever all of that is worth!!  bear_tongue bear_tongue

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I only make big bears - I'm all fingers and thumbs with the small ones!  I find that my 20" bears sell very well.  I used to make more very big bears (24"+) and they always sold quickly, but I think collectors are finding the cost of them a little prohibitive nowadays.  Also I think my market is mainly in America for the big bears and of course, postage is hugely expensive from the UK and the exchange rate plays a big part in how far US collectors are able to stretch their bear buying budgets.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Great topic! :D

I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm delighted to hear that large bears sell well. I've been afraid they wouldn't.

No matter how huggable they look, the little guys are hard to get your hug around. At least on eBay, there seems to be a demand for the tiniest possible critter.

Eileen

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well I am glad to hear that big bears seem to sell well at shows.  I am doing a show in a couple of weeks.  I was looking over what I would take and realized that I don't have but one mini.  I have talked about doing some for the show but have not done it.  I really prefer working on the bigger ones.  I too like a bear you can get your arms around.  The reason I don't have any minis is that I have sold them all to friends or given them as gifts.  So now I can stop worrying about not having any for the show.  This will be my first teddy bear show.  I have done one doll and bear show and did pretty good.  Actually, I did great considering the treasure I came home with.  There was a lady there who had bought a giant tote full of mohair at an auction.  The auction was from a teddy bear artist who was going out of business due to health reasons.   My daughter and I figured there was 400-500 dollars worth of nice mohair in the tote and she sold it to me for $40.00.  They were all large pieces and there were several whole yards of nice mohair.  Needless to say, I have been in mohair heaven since January.  I came home and looked at all of this beautiful fur and didn't know where to start.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Oh, Millie :D

There is a Santa Claus!

Eileen

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Hi all,

I too make mostly larger bears.  My 5 inch bears are the absolute smallest that I will tackle and they are few and far between!  Most of my bears are in the 12-22 inch range, and I find that the larger ones usually do sell the fastest.  (Probably because they are the ones I enjoy making best, so I invest a bit more time and creative thought into making them.) 

I also from time to time make a VERY large bear (around 30 inches) because they tend to be great "attention getters" at a show.  The first one I made I assumed that he would be mine and just brought him to the show as a space filler, as I had a small inventory of bears to bring.  I put what I thought was a prohibitive price on him, as I really didn't think he would sell anyway.  Wouldn't you know, someone wanted him right away.  So now, about once a year I try to make a "big guy" and they sell well.   I must admit  -- they take a full yard of mohair and a TON of stuffing, so I don't do them more often.

Hugs,  Donna

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

My smallest bear is 10 cm, and my daughter love it.
But I tend to create really big bear 27-32 inch. Just finish my black bear-girl...

Thanks for the tips
Hug, Julia.

Board footer