Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

sadiebear Ohio

Hi everyone,:) I'm new to this, so please bear with me,
I hand sew all of my bears. I can not get along with sewing machines (I kind of sort of break 'em) I love hand sewing my bears but some times the seams pull apart and show the thread after stuffing them I pull the thread tight and I tried watching how tight I stuff the bear is there and advice on covering this up or what am I dong wrong here?
I enjoy looking at all your bears, but I wonder how you all do such wonderful jobs. ( I'm jealous and hope my bears someday can look more professional like all of yours::)

Thanks Beary Much,
Rose

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I would be sure to have a decent seam allowance (1/4 in) and maybe use fraycheck on the seams to reinforce them... Hope that helps! bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Rose....I machine all my bears, as someone once said, that no matter how slow I machine it'll always be quicker than sewing by hand...that said there are times when I do hand stitch and then I do 2 rows of smallish backstitch with extra strong (upholstery type) thread. I don't know if it's the right way but it seems to hold fine.

good luck,

Jenny

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I handsew all of my bears, never had this problem though.  What kind of material are you using?  I fraycheck all of my mohair.  I make tiny little stitches(and use upholstry thread or strong monofiliment thread).  I think it probably has to do with the material.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I hand sew all me bears as well.  The sewing machine and I really don't get along!!  One of the most important things that I have learned (through trial and error) is to  make sure that your stitches are are in a straight line.  Do NOT go out of the line.  Going 'out of the line' will possibly show your stitches.  A strong thread is also a definate must.

Hope this helps!

Jane

sadiebear Ohio

Hi, Thanks so beary much for the advice, I need as much as possible, I use alot of mohair, and I Never thought of using fraycheck,

Theres a slap on the hand for me:lol: to stay in a straight line, I chase my kids (9 year  old and 20 month old) while I design and cut sew etc. this could be it. I'm going to try all your advice and i do mean all, If I'm not happy I'm giving up all together:(
Thanks so beary much
Love all your bears they are beautiful
Rose

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Don't give up yet!!  You sound like a busy mom, but teddy making should be a pleasure and relieve stress (at least it does for me).  If it becomes a SOURCE of stress, I'd think twice about it, too.  Good luck and a big welcome to the board.

sadiebear Ohio

Hi Sue Ann,
I find teddy bear making also a big stress relief, it keeps my mind off my daughters vision problems the doctors are thinking she going blind in one eye. I fight tooth and nail with these doctors, so yeh major stress relief but I'm about ready to give up on something I love doing,  Making Bears I do not like the way the seams are, these bears are like my children too and I can not handle a child looking hurt or disappointed
funny way of looking at it huh
Thanks,
Rose

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh goodness, so sorry about your daughter's eye problems!  I have a little grandniece that was born with retinoblastoma in both eyes, so am somewhat acquainted with the dismay and sorrow it can cause.  Children should be immune to all "boo-boos"!!  Hope everything works out positively for you . . . we will be sending good vibes from this board to help that happen!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Amen to that! 

Bearmaking is hard work and takes a long while to get down pat.  Don't be too hard on yourself; I'm a poor hand-sewer myself, but with practice, I'm improving!  I second the recommendation that you try very hard to take small stitches, backstitching, and to sew in a very straight line.  Getting the tension right is the hardest part for me.  Still working on it!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Rose,

So sorry to hear about your little one.  You really do need a stress reliever.  Try not to give up on the bear making I find it a good stress reliever but it does take awhile to get a system down pat.  Keep it up you should see some of my first bears - well no you shouldn't!!!  Scary!!!  Take care and I hope all goes well for your daughter - good vibes coming your way.

Jane

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Hi Rose,
I hand stitch all of my bears that are under 8" and I find it easiest to sew them twice. That way if your stitching line is a little uneven, you can straighten it the second time around and then you also have a good strong seam that won't pop open. Thread size is also important for the size of bear that you are making. I use upholstery thread for anyone 3 1/2" or larger but on anyone smaller, the thread always shows, so for the little guys I use hand quilting thread.
Best wishes with your daughter eye problems and don't give up your fight with the doctors!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Stitch it twice ???...Quilt thread is very strong and if you do a backstitch then that would be really strong ...even for any size bear.
I mainly use Gutterman or Metrasone or quilt thread when hand sewing and when I use the machine I use it too or...I use regular thread with a smallish stitch...... Winney

Board footer