Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

After the topic the other day about 4 piece body patterns I thought I'd give it a try having always used 2 piece ones.  I am getting reallllly frustrated and feeling like I'm back to scratch learning  :crackup:  :doh:   I am wanting to create a nice rounded chubby tummy and so curved out both sides a bit of the front pieces, but tried to test it in fabric and it's turned out like a round ball!  I'm also getting stuck with the darts, having looked at other 4 piece patterns the place for darts appears to be just a cut out part where the two pieces of fabric match.  However when I've done darts before I have done little folds in the fabric.....

When you sew a 4 piece which pieces do you sew together first?  I don't think I've been too clear, having a brain fog day!!

Thank you if anyone can help me out with advice!
Catherine

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

4-piece-body-pattern-front.jpg4-piece-body-pattern-back.jpgHi Catherine, I always sew like this:

Tummy front top to bottom (A to D)
Back top of hump to bottom of hump, leave space for stuffing, then sew from mid back to bottom of back (A to first marking of stuffing opening, leave gap then sew from second mark to D)
Now you should have two separate halves ... one for the tummy and one for the back.
Next pin the two halves together from centre top of tummy and centre top of back, along the sides and down to the bottom of both pieces.  (A to B to C to D)

Hopefully that will give you all the pieces in all the right places! 

I don't tend to use darts on my four piece bodies, so without seeing the design can't really offer comment on those. 

Good luck!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hi Catherine,
I have been pulling my hair out too with a four piece body-it is the first one that I have done.It too came out like a football and the children thought it was really funny and they had a good laugh bear_sad .I have finished the bear now although he still looks a bit chubby but at least he is nice and cuddly.I think that you have to keep looking at it and trying to see where you need to slim it down.Also when I jointed the bear it did have a good overall shape with a nice shape tummy but before I put it together it still didn't look too good.It is a lot of trial and error but annoying because you don't want to ruin your bear or waste material.I still want to get the shape a bit better as the bear was chubby but I hope to get there next time.I didn't use darts on my pattern-I didn't want to complicate things. bear_wacko   Just hang in there and leave it for a few days and then go back to it so you can look at it with a clearer mind.I hope this helps.
Laurie :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I do 4 piece bodies, and how I started was I just took my regular 2 piece body and cut it in half length wise. Now the only thing you need to change is the line that you cut. Take that edge and curve it a bit, so  you will get more fullness at the sides which will also help the belly look bigger. the curve is best near the bottom I find.

I hope that makes sense, I'm the WORST at explaining things.

My method might not be the best way, but I found it was the safest way, not having to draw a whole new body.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks sooo much Paula, Laurie and Heather - Laurie - very good advise - I think I  had been staring at it too much all day so have just gone outside and done a bit of gardening and feel better, will leave it for a few days!
Heather, great idea, I'll give it a shot on a current pattern, I love the tummy on your avatar bear bear_original . got over my frustration for now anyway  bear_happy

Hugs
Catherine

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I've generally made mini's with little 2 piece bodies and recently began creating larger patterns..trying out some with 4 piece.  What would happen to the shape or design if you didn't  "make a boat" or didn't sew it as Paula described?  What happens if you sew front piece to back piece, front to back piece and then sew those 2 pieces together..like you would a 2 piece pattern (??)  Does it loose the dimension or an aspect of design?  Any tips??

:hug:
~Chrissi

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I've never done it like that Chrissi, but I can't see that it would make any difference.  The only reason I do it the way I do, is because I like an easy life and it makes the sewing as simple as possible.  It also means that when you pin the front boat shaped piece to the back boat shaped piece, it is easy to see exactly where the shapings need to be for the arms and legs and to keep them symmetrical.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I think Catherine was mentioning something about darts..... I don't use darts in a 4 piece pattern. And to turn a 2 piece body into 4 I do exactly as Heather described. I also stitch the front pieces together, then back pieces together then stitch the sides seams, connecting the two boats, together last. For the same reason Paula does it this way. My body almost always looks like a football before its stuffed!

Toby... 6 pieces????? :doh:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

psichick78 wrote:

I do 4 piece bodies, and how I started was I just took my regular 2 piece body and cut it in half length wise. Now the only thing you need to change is the line that you cut. Take that edge and curve it a bit, so  you will get more fullness at the sides which will also help the belly look bigger.

Heather, you're nuts if you think you don't explain things well.  That's the most straight-forward explanation of "how to create a four piece body" that I've ever seen.  Brilliant!  Thank you!

Board footer