Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hi to all; I have a question: Does someone now where i can buy cotterpins for woble joints? Is it difficult to use? Thank you in advance bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You can get cotter pins at hardware stores or the bear suppliers.  THey are easy to use but don't do as good a job of VERY TIGHTLY JOINTING bears, especially larger bears.  And, just keep in mind that if the cotter pins themselves are too thick, they can be VERY hard to turn.  The smaller ones, with thinner "prongs" -- for want of a better word for them -- are very easy to turn using a cotter key, which looks like a screwdriver with a slit on the end.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I've only done two wobble necks, which makes me less than expert, but I agree with Shelli--the big cotterpins are likely to give you a more stable joint, but they're really hard to turn. I'd use middle-sized cotterpins.

Also, to get the wobble, you need to use a bigger disk in the head than in the body. The smaller the body disk, the more extreme the wobble. It pays to be sure your bear has some well-stuffed shoulders, so the head won't sag permanently!

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh look...Eileen has a "real" bear for her avatar now ;)

Cute bear!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes indeedy, and it's an absolutely darling one!  Nice to finally see your work, Eileen.  It was well worth the wait! bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great little bear, Eileen . . . thanks for showing it to us!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Thanks for your generous comments, lovely ladies!

I've got more bears in progress, but this is Bronwyn, a prototype. Her fur is knitted from imported Turkish eyelash yarn, but otherwise she's constructed like a regular bear, complete with wobble and my first embroidered waxed nose--thanks to Hayley's template!

As you can see, I'm still experimenting with the photography bear_ermm , but thanks to you, Shelli, almost sort of beginning to GET IT!

Eileen

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Thank you:) I love to try different things and i never saw a bear with wobble neck

Board footer