Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Okay, so this is just a daft throwaway thread to pass the time ... seeing as we are such an international community, let's share dinner!  Be completely honest and tell us what you're having for dinner tonight!  bear_grin

Here's mine:

Chicken chausseur ... sounds good eh? 

Okay, now to the truth part: I've pan fried the chicken in olive oil (naughty Paula!) then added a sliced leek and some chopped mushrooms, finally I've poured a jar of ready made chasseur sauce over the lot.  That's not all, I've also put on a pan of frozen peas and frozen carrots to go with AND slung some 'Auntie Bessie' roast potatoes on a baking tray in the oven. 

Howzat for convenience?!!  bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Left over homemade macaroni and cheese and frozen broccoli.
I hate cooking. bear_sad

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Pasta with aubergine, peber, muchrooms in tomato sauce and
cheese on the top - in the oven  bear_tongue
and of couse - redvine

Kent
Website

Ooh, I had a feeling I wouldn't be the only cooking cheat here!  bear_grin

Tina, your dinner sounds lovely ... it's made me think I need a glass of wine to go with mine!!  :crackup:

Ellen, you are devious just like me!  I like your style lady!!  :thumbsup:

Daphne, there's a lot to be said for frozen brocoli ... none of it repeatable if it comes from my son's mouth though!!!  :redface:

ellen ontario, canada

spaghetti squash with my husband's decadent sauce.  he throws everything in - whatever is in the fridge.  zuchinni, peppers, onion, shallots, mushrooms, lotsa garlic, leftover sausage, leftover chicken, black olives.    (hopefully no milk!)
yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!
we're both very spoiled and both LOVE to cook.  nothing pre-made/prepared in our house.  cooking for hours = heaven!
bear_flower

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I've been REALLY lazy and had cheese and crackers for my dinner!!! But they're yummy!

Stellajella Wien

We had cooked smoked ham, sparkling wine-kreaut and roasted taters ....yummi!!!

Enjoy your dinner!
Gaby bear_flower

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

We are having company for supper so I am making chicken scallopine - basically chicken breasts with tomato sauce on top and then sprinkled with mushrooms and green peppers and mozzarella cheese on top of all at the end, served with fresh noodles, salad, broccoli and cauliflower, and parmesan toast. And of course wine! For dessert I'm making bananas flambe, (which I don't eat since I'm not much of a dessert person!) I do cook most nights as my hubby likes his food, and I think he trys to invite company as often as possible so that I will make dessert! - if it was just me it'd probably be cheese and crackers like Gemma!  bear_grin

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

We're having good old Texas style chili. I browned the beef and tossed it in the crockpot with beans, tomatoes, onions, chili powder, etc. and leave it to cook. I just love the crock pot! My house smells good and this rainy, chilly day will be a perfect chili day!

What time is it about now in UK? My dinner is hours away. (but I'm gald its basically finished)

Edie, I'd love to be your guest tonight! Yum!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

We had beef stew tonight that hubby got ready as I had to go to the open evening at school.He didn't do a bad job really although there wasn't a lot left by the time we got home as the kids had helped themselves and pinched all the gravy too bear_sad
Laurie  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Home made cottage pie with lots of veggies and strawberries and ice-cream for pud.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

We're having pizza and home made turkey noodle soup - not that thrilling, but just what I fancy!

hugs,

Brenda

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Pork fajitas.  I'll cut the pork tenderloin into small strips and saute, then saute green and red bell peppers with onions, add the pork back in and add spices.  We'll serve with warm flour tortillas, sour cream and shredded cheddar and jack cheese.   yum-my

I have about 5 large very ripe bananas, so I'll make some banana nut bread too.

bon appitit, all   bear_tongue

Kent
Website

Mmmmnn, there's some nice grub going on tonight!  You're putting me to shame ... I'm a really lazy cook.  Mind you, my lazy dinner was tasty and the kids wolfed the lot down with great gusto!

Patty, banana nut bread sounds yummy ... how do you make it?

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I'm back from my hols so weight to lose and fed up of food! So I had a Quorn fillet (vegetarian) with a large salad. Then for later a bag of mini ryvitas and a skinny cow ice cream lolly! All low fat of course.

sarahjane Brisbane

Well dinner is now a distant memory and now it's breakfast time!!

But we had boring old Spaghetti Bolognaise....a family favourite round here and as a bonus it goes a long way when you have a lot of mouths to feed...  bear_grin

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

It has been requested that I make my homemade chicken pot pie.  I love to cook, so I do make my own crust etc.  I also have made an apple pie (no shortcuts)  that will be topped with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.  Ha!, I did not make the ice cream.

beary_clairey Luton

Well I work in the evenings from 4pm till midnight so our canteen chef has cooked me cajun chicken with noodles and one of the girls in the office gave us a slice of birthday cake too....

I did help my hubby cook dinner for himself though which is like lamb and bean casserole so I did do a bit of cooking !!!

Claire

Dilu Posts: 8,574

CHICKEN PARMESAN; FROM SCRATCH, MY OWN FRESH SAUCE......

Now....I always preplan left overs and wrap the slightly undercooked chicken, pork, beef whatever, with the sauce and cheese in foil packets....and since there is only 2 of us, and since I give him only enough meat to think he got meat, I can make one packet of chickipoo breasts last 6-8 meals....and since it was slightly undercooked, by the time its heated up its fully cooked.

I always make way too much and wrap it up

I love Reynolds wrap and my toaster oven.  If I plan things right, I can take one Sunday a month, while he is at work and make enough meals for a whole month....simply by doing three main dishes that use the same basic ingredients.

I don't hate to cook so much as clean up,  So I have a disaster one day a month and then the rest of the month I don't have to fuss or bother or clean .  I usually do it on a day when he is working-so that he doesn't get in the way and everything is cleaned up and gone to one of the freezers before he gets home. 

I hate cooking when the hubs is home-he gets into everything, tries to taste and talks to me and I forget where I am.  I made cookies once with him around and forgot the leavening.....

another favorite is mac and cheese- with different additions-  this way you can make a mac and cheese base and then divide into thirds or quarters and add something to each one, bacon bread crumbs and tomatoes, diced ham, extra herbs, bread crumbs and pesto,

that sort of thing

it is so much more fun to only cook one day a month

When I make tomato sauce I make a gallon of it.....then divide it up and freeze it.....easy to add to P. chops or on noodles as spaghetti...etc.....

and since it has carrots, celery onions, tomatoes and fresh herbs it, the sauce, can be used for speghettii or pizza, depending on how much moisture you cook out of it...

hmmmmmm

also over here in the states everything seems to have to big super sized....everything! 
So by cooking this way I am wasting less... and making the sauce from scratch does make it taste better.....I can evern use it as a base for chili, throw in a handful of finely chopped cilantro and everything is good to go......

I wouldn't do any of this if it weren't for the food processor though.....next to indoor plumbing my personal pick for creation of the last century...

and what do I do with all my extra time....same as you play with dolls, have tea parties with the bears.....

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh Boy !! I just had left over pitza bear_whistle I am susposed to be on a diet bear_cry But had a taste for it. I am the only one at home right now so I DID WHAT I WANED, nice and easy bear_grin

beary_clairey Luton

Diane,

You are a lady after my own heart - you are so organised and Ilove your ideas and methods.

I must try this and buy some serious tupperware !!!!

LOL

Claire

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu - I think you ought to write a book: "Cook for Two Once a Month"
I will buy the first copy!!!!!!

Seriously..... your method is perfect. But I need specifics..... WHAT meat, WHAT sauce, WHAT seasonings, WHAT EVERYTHING! I have no imagination (when it comes to food) yet get bored so easily!

Could I hire you to do out a meal plan for me for the next, oh, say, 6 months?????  :crackup:  Seriously!!!  :crackup:  I can handle cooking all day ONCE a month!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Well it is now Wednesday here but last nights dinner... was rissotto.
I brown onions, celery and garlic in olive oil and when that has browned a little, add the aboriro rice.
When the rice is brown and humming add chicken stock and white wine  and ground black pepper and sea salt-  continue adding the chicken stock until the rice is cooked.

In a frying pan cook bacon (crispy) and mushrooms and then add that at the end.
Grate some parmesan cheese on top and you are all ready for a quick tasty meal.

Just a thing about tupperware - I was at a friends the other day and they had a fantastic
tupperware can opener - they looked so good and they are meant to have a lifetime guarantee.
I just had to order one.
Have any of you seen this neat little gadget? Not cheap but I am sick of buying can openers
that are no good and do not last.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I have no idea what's for dinner yet.  BUT...I LOVE to cook...I just don't do it much anymore.   Unfortunately I also LOVE to eat good homecooked food. 

Dilu your once a month power cooking is a wonderful way to keep ahead of the game.   

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm making a true favorite and something all three of my kids AND hubby and me can agree on, which is rare indeed.  CHILI!
This one happens to be a recipe from my mom who created this incredibly great tasting concoction from mostly canned items.  Quick recipe to follow:

1 pound or more ground hamburger (or leave it out if you're a veggie)
2 or 3 garlic cloves
1 onion or, if you have kids who hate onions like I do, several TBSP of onion powder
1 TBSP oil

Cook onions and garlic til onion is translucent; add hamburger and brown.  Drain.

Then, assuming all "cans" are equally sized, add:

3 cans beans (either all dark red kidney beans, or a mix or dark red; pintos; and black beans), drained
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans chopped or crushed tomatoes, drained

and

several TBSP chili powder (to taste)
1 TBSP chopped jalapenos (if desired)

Cook about an hour, stirring frequently.  Salt and pepper to taste and serve with cheese and sour cream to top, with bread on the side.

Yum!

Board footer