Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

LuckyPennyBears Lucky Penny Bears
MA

I've been designing TB patterns for almost 10 years (on and off) and have collected quite a bunch of them, I was thinking of laminating them for safekeeping, anyone out there laminate your patterns? I was also thinking of getting my DH to cut out some of my often used patterns in balsa or another lightweight but fairly sturdy (balsa isn't that sturdy) wood on the scroll saw, I think the minis would be okay on balsa... bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Becky,

Oh wow, I never thought of transferring my patterns to wood... boy those would never wear out!

Yes, I laminate my patterns.  I have my patterns scanned in and on my computer's hard drive.  I also have copies of them burned to DVD just in case something happens to the hard drive  bear_cry   

I print my patterns out on the printer using card stock (like the type used in scrapbooking),.... then before I cut them out - I use the clear contact paper, put it on both sides... and THEN I cut out my pattern.  They stand up very well this way.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Becky, I just use the plastic template sheets that Edinburgh carries. Check here: http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 92364=S016. They come in 14 x 20 inches and 8 x 11 inches. I just draw my pattern pieces onto this plastic sheeting with a Sharpie marker and cut them out. They stay nice (except when I mark all over them)--they don't get destroyed.

Debora

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Becky - there was a recent thread on here - something like 'How do you store your patterns' It had a lot of very interesting contributions from people giving several different alternatives.

I hope you can find it - its a very good read plus lots of practical tips. 

I think Lisa cuts out her patterns in MDF or some such.

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Becky,
I also use plastic quilters template, then store them with a pic of the bear and a list all the items used including the mohair, in envelopes like this.
Patt.jpg
I also colour code for each of the 3 different ranges I design. Hope this helps.
Hugs,
Sandi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use a XYRON laminating "machine" -- actually has a hand crank, no machine parts at all to speak of -- that's sold at crafts stores in the scrapbooking section.

Krümelbärchen Kr
Hagen / Germany

I always laminate my patterns with a hot laminate machine.
First I laminate the pattern and than I cut the pieces. That's the best way to use the pattern more than one time - I think.

Because I only work with my own patterns, I make them in Corel Draw  - it's a vector graphics software.
When I habe been finished the pattern I always burn the cdr-file on a disk and to be safe I host the file at my webspace in a safe folder. So have the chance to upload the file if necessary  bear_smile

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Welll I gave this laminating of patterns a go and found that they were slippery on the fabric and that My hands werent able to hold them still. I ended up ruffing up the plastic. Just toget it to grip. I would love to have them in wood. I think that would be heaven.
Any hints to fix the slippage????
Wendy bear_thumb

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I've heard people using Transparency Film. It's that durable but flimsy plastic you use for over head projectors Being Transparent, You can see through them and can use a perminant marker to draw/write your info on them.

I thought they were a brilliant Idea.

Richy~

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Wendy,
Try glueing some thin, cheap felt on the back. That should make it stay. Or you could use some double-stick tape (sticky on both sides).

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

My preference is the quilter's template sheets too.  You can buy them at Walmart, very inexpensive but they come only in 8.5 x 11 inch sheets there. (6 to a package.)  They last forever and because the plastic is sort of frosted (not slick), they don't slip around.

Board footer